Sports Massage Therapist Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Sports Massage Therapist Do?
A sports massage therapist is an expert responsible for the manipulation of soft tissues. They perform this in order to help people achieve two basic goals: to prevent a sports injury or to improve from an injury.
They work in spa, resort, sport club, fitness centers, etc.
Their job description requires them to have a medical background using modalities such as myofascial release, neuromuscular, deep tissue, trigger point therapy, sports therapy, and PNF stretching.
They administer physical therapy to which involves the application of heat, cold, water, electricity, massage, and therapeutic exercise to treat physical disabilities, injury and disease.
Sports massage therapists must create a safe and positive environment for their guests and clients.
They must also adhere to product and inventory check-out system, keep service/treatment products filled and ready for next service or therapist.
While performing the duties of this job, they are occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
Sports massage therapists perform other non-essential duties which include training new spa personnel when necessary.
Their role also involves engaging in activities that promote the business.
They build customer and brand loyalty and increase clientele base through encouraging clients to book continuing and future appointments, build referrals, and offer parting wishes to all clients as they leave the spa, resort, sports club, etc.
To work in this position requires an associate degree in sports and rehabilitative therapy, sports medicine or physical therapist assistant.
A minimum of High School Diploma or GED with a combination of experience, training, and professional certification is also acceptable.
To be effective in performing the work description of a sport massage therapists requires sound knowledge of kinesiology, exercise physiology and rehabilitation procedures.
It also require expert knowledge of pre- and post-sporting event massage techniques, timing of therapy, and ability to identify and manage common sports injuries and injury response.
Sports massage therapists need certain qualities to be successful. They need to have people skills – they have to be friendly and maintain a positive attitude at all times.
They also need to have strong communication skills and be able to work well in a team.
It is also essential for them to have customer service orientation, maintain professionalism, possess strong time management skills, and be a role model – portray the lifestyle they represent.
Sports Massage Therapist Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The sports massage therapist performs various functions that enhance health and wellbeing of clients, including hands-on manipulation of muscles and other soft tissues of the body.
They apply a modality of techniques to relieve pain and stress.
The major obligations, tasks, duties, and responsibilities performed by sports massage therapists are shown in the job description example below:
- Provide massage and body treatments for guests and members of the spa
- Perform therapeutic massages of joints and soft tissues
- Perform assessment of range of motion and muscle strength; propose and implement client therapy plans
- Massage and knead muscles and soft tissues to provide treatment for medical conditions, injuries, or wellness maintenance
- Maintain patient treatment records by writing reports, covering initial evaluation of patients, progress, and treatment recommendation
- Provide massage therapies in a variety of modalities such as: Swedish, Deep Tissue, Hot Stone, Reflexology, Aromatherapy Prenatal, Sports, Relaxation, chair, etc., to spa guests, members, etc
- Perform deep tissue massage or sports massage
- Operate heat lamps and related equipment
- Keep linen and towel supplies stocked
- Keep massage room clean and stocked for the next client or therapist in a presentable manner
- Work closely and communicate frequently with other staff to stay aware of any changes to the clients’ schedule
- Participate in programs to promote massage and wellness
- Execute any individual or team plans to increase results
- Ensure schedule is always up-to-date for two-weeks and built for growth
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of all current retail product packages, services, pricing, and promotions offered so that all services and sales effort are tailored to meet each client’s unique needs
- Make confirmation calls to clients and follow up with scheduled clients who haven’t shown up for their appointments
- Using hand to manually manipulate muscles and soft tissue to relieve pain and stress
- Maintain a clean, calm, and soothing environment that enables the client to relax.
Sports Massage Therapist Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Success on the Job
To become a sports massage therapist and be effective in carrying out the objectives, purpose, obligations, and responsibilities of the role; as well as to be employed by most companies, you may need to meet the following requirements:
- Education and Training: To be a sports massage therapist you require a minimum of High school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED) and a combination of experience, training, and certification
- License: Sports massage therapist must hold a current Massage Therapy License, and current CPR & First Aid Certification is required
- Professional Certification: Sport Massage Therapy Certification from reputable organization like American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) is preferred
- Knowledge: Sports therapists should be skilled in Clinical Massage Therapy (Deep Tissue, Trigger point, Sports) in order to work with individuals who need specific, deeper tissue work
- Excellent relaxing massage modalities as well as awareness of biomechanics, body landmarks, and methodologies to treat injury in an appropriate manner
- Physical dexterity: When performing the duties of a sports massage therapist, you will be frequently required to stand for prolonged periods, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. It also involves frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10-25 pounds
- Vision abilities: Sport massage therapists require certain vision abilities which include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus while performing the tasks of this job
- Listening and communication skills: Sports massage therapists require the ability to listen to clients’ need and interact with people of all ethnic backgrounds, ages, and lifestyles. They must have clear and concise writing skills and excellent verbal communication skills to present clients’ findings and recommendations
- Customer service skills: Sports massage therapists should be able to handle customer complaints in a positive manner and enthusiastically welcome and assist each client in preparation for his/her massage
- Time management skills: Massage therapists require this skill to enable them to set priorities and make utmost use of their time. They need to arrive early for each appointment, start and end a session according to schedule
- Math skills: They should have basic math skills to handle tasks involving: discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, and volume
- Sales Skills: They require salesmanship skills to be able to promote the business, build on referrals, build customer loyalty, and increase customer base for the business
- Computer skills: They should be skilled in operating MS Office packages for basic record keeping and database management
- Follow-up skills: They should have strong follow through skills to give a human touch and build rapport with clients, as well as keep in touch with clients who do not make it to appointments.
To hire for the role of a sports massage therapist, employers, HR managers, or recruiters need to publish the job description for interested people to respond to.
They can quickly and easily make a detailed description of the position for their company by adapting the sample job description provided in this post.
This post is also a useful and complete guide for those considering a career in Sports Massage Therapy.
They will be able to improve their knowledge and understanding of the duties and responsibilities of a sports massage therapist, and the requirements to meet to gain employment with most companies.
Did this article help you to learn about what sports massage therapists do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. And if you work as a massage therapist in the sports field, do also share your job description.