This post provides detailed information on the mobile app developer job description, including the duties, tasks, and responsibilities they perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the mobile app developer role.
What Does a Mobile App Developer Do?
Mobile app developers are a kind of software developers. They are skilled in mobile technology like building apps for Android, iOS, and Windows platform phones.
Mobile application developers have got a great knowledge of different operating systems such as Android, Windows, and Mac.
The mobile app developer job description entails building applications that are adaptable to different devices such as smartphones and tablets.
Their role may also include building the mobile versions of their organization’s websites, as well as collaborating with other professionals across the organization, including product managers, testers, other developers, and designers.
The mobile app developer’s duties may include building new Android applications or iOS from the scratch, as well as creating new features for existing products to enhance their value to users or customers.
He/she may be responsible for customizing existing applications, designing web applications and new software, and providing support for applications under development.
He/she may also participate in the processes leading to new software releases as well as update for existing applications.
The work description of the mobile app developer may also entail collaborating with his/her company’s Quality Assurance team to ensure all technical requirements are met and to confirm that applications match specification.
He/she may also have the responsibility to observe and assess top competing products and applications in their industry with a view of knowing their strengths and weaknesses and to develop better products and applications.
A mobile app developer must have an in-depth knowledge of different programming languages such as C++, Java, PHP and MySQL, HTML, Objective-C, and C #.
They are required to design and develop various mobile applications in different environments that will be very useful, functional, innovative, and also user-friendly.
The demand for mobile application developers has surged over the years. This is due to the fact that the mobile and tablet devices have accounted for a greater percentage of Internet usage when compared to desktop.
When hiring for this role, some companies may require interested persons to have specialty in one of three areas, such as Android app development, iOS app development, and Windows app development so that each developer can concentrate on their core specialty, while other companies may require specialties in all the three areas.
Mobile Application Developer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
A mobile app developer performs various functions in the course of developing applications for their organizations or clients that can work effectively on various mobile devices.
The job description example below shows typical tasks, duties, obligations, and responsibilities that mobile application developers perform:
- Understand the client’s requirements
- Discuss the client’s requirements with colleagues on how best to deliver the job
- Develop different application programming interface known as API so as to support different mobile functionalities
- Always keep up-to-date with concepts, terminologies, and global best practices for the coding of different mobile applications
- Ensure new applications meet quality standards
- Adapt already existing web applications for mobile apps
- Working in synergy with others to constantly innovate app functionality and design
- Documenting project plan and technical specifications
- Test applications and provide support for each mobile application
- Comprehend customer needs and its translation to an application framework
- Regularly fix bugs every time it occurs
- Ensure improvement in application performance
- Ensure continuous evaluation, discovery, implementation, and the maintenance of new technologies so as to maximize the efficiency of development
- Conduct training and share expertise with other mobile app developers within an organization
- Ensure that every application undergoes testing for usability, robustness, and general reliability
- Recommend periodic changes and enhancements to mobile applications
- Contribute to the development of every project schedules and workflows
- Ensure constant interactions with other departments within an organization as regards new deployments.
Mobile App Developer Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Success on the Role
When hiring for the role, employers of prospective mobile app developers expect that applicants have the right competence, skills, abilities, educational qualification, and knowledge to excel in performing the obligations, objectives, and purpose of the job.
The requirements commonly set for applicants to meet includes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or in a related discipline is usually required
- Some years of working experience as a mobile app developer
- Competence in the three known operating systems – Android, iOS, and Windows will be an added advantage
- Excellent knowledge of different programming languages such as C#, Java, Objective-C
- Great organizational skills
- Ability to work under intense pressure
- Ability to keep up-to-date with the latest developments and trends in the technology world
- Ability to interpret technical plans and implement such creditably
- Problem-solving skills are of greater importance
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken forms
- Ability to take initiatives without being prompted
- Strong analytical and presentation skills
- Good understanding of mobile app consumer behaviors
- Ability to comprehend and process data efficiently will be important
- High level of creativity will be required
- Ability to improve application performance and regularly fix bugs as timely as possible
- Core experience in User Experience (UE)and User Interface (UI) will be needed
- Must be able to show portfolios launched on App Stores.
If you are an employer, recruiter, or HR manager needing to hire for the mobile application developer position in your organization, the job description sample provided in this post can help you to quickly produce a good description of the mobile app developer role that you want to fill.
Publishing a detailed work description that captures all the duties and responsibilities of the app developer position that the successful candidate will perform will enable your organization to attract the right candidates for the job.
Individuals interested in becoming a mobile application developer will find this article helpful in learning about the career and how to succeed in it.
Did you find this article useful in learning about what mobile app developers do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. Do also feel free to discuss your job description if you are an app developer specializing in mobile systems.