This post presents in-depth information on the job description of a software business analyst, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
What Does a Software Business Analyst Do?
Software business analyst is responsible for working with business people and key project stakeholders to communicate and formulate the business vision for the project, the scope of the project, and also to map out initial requirements.
For someone who has ever worked on a lengthy cum complex software development project, such would realize that the involvement of a software business analyst can differentiate between a successful and an unsuccessful result of such project.
And the involvement of a software business analyst starts at the very beginning of such project.
At the beginning of a project, a software business analyst may be the only “software development staff” working on the project.
The software business analyst job description entails collaborating with project stakeholders to turn their requirements into tools that developers can understand, and also to translate the resulting questions that the developers may have into something tangible that the stakeholders can understand.
Another vital skill also needed in this part of the process is the business analyst’s ability to compress the different needs and messages of the project stakeholders into a single vision.
Software business analysts also play the role of breaking down architectural and technical complexities in order for project stakeholders to easily understand any issues that may crop up, such as why HTML-based application can’t have a user interface like Visual Basic application.
Software Business Analyst Job Description Sample
Software business analysts are usually required to perform the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities shown in the sample job description below:
- Manage the daily operations of the analyst team
- Ensure that cordial relationship exists between the software business analysts’ team and other teams within the organization
- Manage the hiring, remuneration, training and performance appraisal of other analysts on the team
- Report to the Head of Strategy as well as to the CEO on the progress of projects which is being handled by the team
- Discuss new opportunities with the CEO and the Head of Strategy and also ensure that all steps are taken to ensure the success of new ventures
- Ensure that all analyses carried out by his/her team are well documented as well as archived
- Perform systems, legal, and financial analysis on business opportunities in selected sectors
- Write research and concept papers
- Lead the different kinds of analysts in the organization, among which are: System Analysts, Financial Analysts, Legal Analysts, etc
- Report to Heads of Executive that drive strategy.
Writing a resume for the post of software business analyst: The above job description example can be employed in creating a resume for the position of analyst in a software business environment.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Software Business Analyst Position
To be effective on the job, the software business analyst is required to have the following attributes:
- Strategic thinking cum intellectual quickness
- Natural ability to get things done!
- Keen eye for details and execution oriented personality
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment – self-starter, wearing a few hats, high tolerance for ambiguity, less structured
- Must be able to multitask and be able maintain focus while doing such
- Must be comfortable with tight timelines
- Must have a sense of urgency
- Ability to find solutions to challenges coupled with a willingness to do what is necessary in order to ensure timelines and make sure that goals are met
- Must possess speed and versatility
- Good judgment, strong organization skills decisiveness cum good written communication skills
- Proficiency across software, systems, and financial development analysis.