The job description of retail customer service personnel entails giving service to customers before, during, and after they make a purchase.
Retail customer service involves series of activities embarked upon to enhance the level of customer satisfaction – as in, the feeling that a product has met the expectation of the buyer.
The value of customer service may vary depending on the good or service, as well as industry and customer.
The level of success of such interactions between the seller and buyer will be dependent on seller who can adjust him/herself to the personality of the buyer.
From the point of view of an overall sales effort, retail customer service plays an integral role in a retailer’s ability to generate revenue and income.
From that point of view, customer service experience has the ability to change the perception a customer has of the organization.
Some have in the past argued that the level and quality of customer service has decreased in recent years, and that this is unconnected to a lack of support cum understanding at the middle management and executive level of an organization or their customer service policy.
In order to address this trend, many organizations, companies, and stores have employed different kinds of methods to improve their customer satisfaction levels and hire more people to man their retail customer service department.
Retail Customer Service Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Shown below is an example of the kind of job descriptions, including duties, tasks, and responsibilities, usually given to individuals working in retail customer service delivery units in most companies to execute.
- Support customers by answering product and membership service questions
- Deal with customer feedback and general inquiries
- Give customers service information including product and membership details
- Process service and return transactions at the register in alignment with company’s100% customer satisfaction guarantee
- Accept payment for goods, make change, and issue receipts
- Identify, investigate and deal with customer issues accordingly
- Support Retail Store Pick-Up (RSPU) by helping them with the receipt of goods from truck; and process customer pick-up
- Perform specialized transactions like Outdoor School sign-ups, special orders, store mail-outs and special ticket sales
- Maintain customer hold area by keeping the area organized and removing items that are beyond the hold dates
- Process damaged goods in line with store policy. This may involve moving and pricing the item, or tagging
- Inform customers of repair options in case of damage to goods bought, and complete repair processing
- Follow disposal guidelines and document retention.
Retail Customer Service Job Description for Resume
A resume for seeking a job in the customer service unit of a retail establishment can be prepared with information from the sample job description above.
The job description highlights important functions and roles of individuals working in customer service positions in retail setting, which can be used in making the professional experience section of a resume for the position.
Here is a sample resume for the post of retail customer service associate, which you can study from to learn how to prepare your resume too: Retail Customer Service Associate Resume Example.
Retail Customer Service Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
Given below are important attributes individuals aspiring to work in a customer service position in retail environments are usually expected to have for better performance on the job:
- General education degree or its equivalent
- Must be knowledgeable in relevant computer applications
- Must be able to type
- Must be abreast of administrative procedures
- Must have product knowledge
- Must have previous experience in cashiering
- Having a previous customer service experience would be an advantage
- Effective communication skills
- Must be teachable and be ready to adhere to company policies
- Must be available to work impromptu, depending on business needs.