This post provides detailed information on the PC technician job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the PC technician role.
What Does a PC Technician Do?
PC technicians are responsible for the installation and maintenance of all organization’s microcomputer hardware and software devices and equipment, as well as provide help desk support.
The PC technician job description entails duties such as troubleshooting, repairing, supporting, installing, maintaining, and upgrading of all personal computer based software and hardware, including desktops, laptops, scanners, printers, and peripherals.
It also involves providing support and training to end users of PC related applications; monitoring the usage and access of software and network, as well as virus protection.
His/her role also involves maintaining all hardware and software logs and provide assistance to Applications staff when required, including standing in for computer operator shifts when required.
The PC technician resolves minor networking problems, and when necessary contacts the right parties, such as the technology providers to escalate the issue and track all tasks geared towards resolving it until it is finally resolved.
He/she is responsible for maintaining technical issues and inventory by applying tracking systems, and also for creating and maintaining system documentation.
He/she is expected to adhere to all company standards, policies, and procedures regarding customer care and safety.
After undergoing the necessary training, the PC technician may be included in the team responsible for the company’s strategic projects, programs, and initiatives.
The technician is also expected to promote the organization’s corporate mission, vision, and values in carrying out his/her work description.
PC Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Personal computer technicians perform various functions in effectively installing and maintaining organizations’ PC based software and hardware systems and equipment.
The typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities that constitute the PC technician job description are shown in the example below:
- Carry out repair, modification, and installation of computer software, hardware, and peripheral devices, and resolve issues within area of training and authority
- Provide system users with technical training and assistance when necessary
- Get information about technical problems and technological issues by interviewing users; determine the source of error by leading users through diagnostic procedures; diagnose operator, software, and hardware problems
- Resolve user problems by defining the issue, researching for effective solution, isolating sources of the error, and applying the right technical solutions to successfully resolving the issue
- Perform installation of new IT software and hardware packages as instructed
- Perform maintenance of IT hardware, peripheral devices, and equipment
- Perform research on technical problems and suggest the right upgrades, repairs, and replacement as necessary
- Refer more complex technical issues beyond own expertise, training, and experience to senior technical staff for resolution; ensure tracking of the issue until it has been resolved
- Improve expertise and knowledge in maintaining higher levels of IT equipment, software, and hardware by completing cross-training programs
- Ensure customer records, work related issues, and restricted County information are kept in absolute confidence
- Carry out additional and related duties that may be assigned by supervisor or management.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for PC Technician Role
If you are seeking to work as a PC technician, you will be required to possess certain skills, abilities, and knowledge, as well as educational qualifications and experience that will enable you perform the job excellently.
Shown below are common requirements set by most employers when hiring for the position of personal computer technician in their organizations:
- Possess high school diploma or its equivalent qualification, such as GED
- Complete technical school training in computer technology
- Possess A+ Certification
- At least one year experience providing IT technical support
- Possess valid state driver’s license
- Working experience with software and hardware supporting public safety
- Possess mobile computer hardware installation experience
- Strong knowledge of principles, standards, and processes of technical support principles
- Strong knowledge of networked environments and computer systems capabilities
- Outstanding skill to assess the support needs of customers and provide effective solutions
- Strong ability to apply procedures, equipment, and basic tools in successfully repairing and maintaining of computers and peripheral devices
- Strong knowledge of Windows operating systems, Anti-Virus, Networking hardware and Citrix PC, Email, TCP/IP Topologies or MS Office Ethernet, PC Emulation, Internet security
- Good customer relationship and communications skills
- Good experience with windows software, networks, and microcomputer.
If you are an employer needing to write a description for the role of PC technician for use in hiring for the position in your organization, you can apply the sample job description given in this post.
You will be able to make a PC technician job description that will be effective in helping you attract the best candidates for the job.
You will also find this post helpful in learning about what PC technicians do if you are interested in the career. Having a deep knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of a personal computer technician will help in your preparation for the career.