This post provides complete information on the MRI technologist job description, including the tasks, duties, and responsibilities they perform.
It also covers the requirements that you may be expected to meet to be hired for the MRI technologist role.
Please, read on:
What Does an MRI Technologist Do?
The MRI technologist job description entails performing all magnetic resonance imaging maintenance, calibration, repairs and replacements of all equipment used in the MRI scanning room.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technologists perform maintenance on microscopes for use in MR imaging.
They are responsible for performing maintenance on computer imaging utilities and perform MRI scanning of patients.
MRI technologists perform daily inventory of all machines and ensure that all equipment is functioning properly.
They are also to ensure that any action performed is within the approved procedure and within the equipment’s specifications and guidelines.
This position coordinates with other personnel to help ensure a smooth treatment process for each patient, as well as paperwork requirements
It is their duty to maintain a clean facility; ensure any necessary medication is available to help ensure proper safety measures are taken, prior to, during, and after each procedure.
Another task of the MRI technologist is maintaining and keeping a log of all fluids used in the MRI process.
They work closely with the operating doctor to ensure the safety of each patient in the MRI room, and ensure the room is disease-free according to guidelines.
MRI technologist must coordinate with other personnel to help ensure a smooth treatment process for each patient, as well as paperwork requirements.
They work closely with MR technician, medical staff, patients and other personnel when necessary regarding safety procedures, protocols, and diagnostics, as well as procedures that are performed during treatment in which they are involved in.
More on MRI Technologist Job Description
The MRI technologist job description also entails maintaining and keeping a log of all fluids used in the MRI process.
It also involves working closely with the operating doctor to ensure the safety of each patient in the MRI room, and ensure the room is disease-free according to guidelines.
MRI technologists produce reports through imaging utilities and PC software that record examinations, procedures, and images, as well as oversee their maintenance.
They are responsible for rotating the magnet system in the MR scanning room and checking the inter-nodal gap, nodal gap and coil bore of all coils in the room, as well as taking measurements as needed.
Magnetic resonance imaging technologists are responsible for optimizing and maintaining the system for a quick, accurate, and safe scan.
MRI technologists must ensure machine control is maintained under all circumstances.
MRI Technologist Job Description Sample/Example/Template
MRI technologists perform the following duties, Tasks, and responsibilities:
- Prepare patients for scanning procedure
- Operate imaging equipment to obtain images of the body
- Guide radiologist during scanning procedure
- Observe the patient’s reactions and reactions of other technicians during process
- Review images and provide the report to physician upon request
- Manage various instruments used in MRI scanning process
- Attend to a variety of administrative duties, including communicating with patients and insurance companies, and supervise other staff members in operating room or clinic setting
- Record the progress of each study in the form of technical notes for review by physicians, nurses, and technicians
- Prepare reports, primarily for physicians, that summarize the results of the scan
- Provide excellent customer service at all times by ensuring staff is treated in a prompt, courteous, and professional manner
- Maintain good working relationships with physicians and nurses with whom they interact on a daily basis and maintain an accurate knowledge of imaging equipment used in each patient study
- Ensure efficient scanning time through effective communication with imaging team and radiologists.
MRI Technologist Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a resume or CV as someone with some MRI technologist work experience, you can apply the job description sample provided above in making a compelling Professional Experience for the resume.
You can highlight the MRI technologist duties and responsibilities contained in the above job description in your resume’s Professional Experience to show that you have been effective performing the role of a magnetic resonance imaging technologist.
This will help boost the effectiveness of your resume in getting the job you are seeking, especially if the new position that you are applying for requires someone with some MRI technologist work experience.
MRI Technologist Job Requirements
Here are some of the essential requirements that an MRI technologist must satisfy in order to be successful on the job.
They are also what employers look for when hiring for the MRI technologist job position:
- Good fundamental understanding of anatomy, particularly the nervous system
- Strong interpersonal skills and tact to work with patients and other personnel in the imaging area
- Basic knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Working knowledge of imaging equipment used in each patient study
- Understanding how to communicate with other personnel in radiologic setting, such as nurses, doctors, etc.
- Possess diagnostic skills to interpret the images, communicate with radiologists and other personnel in creating proper diagnosis
- Good communication skills to effectively communicate with team regarding patient’s progress and problems
- Possess flexible work schedule to allow for more time to learn imaging equipment used in each patient study
- Working knowledge of how to keep up on a patient’s progress and report it accurately
- Ability to work with the general public
- Strong skills in working with patients and interacting with physicians and other personnel
- Working knowledge of MRI scanning equipment and procedures
- Have a valid license or certificate to operate medical equipment such as MRI machines.
MRI Technologist Salary
The average salary for an MRI technologist in the United States is $101,255 per year according to indeed.com, while salary.com and glassdoor.com reported $83,675 and $86,333 respectively.
Some of the best paying cities are San Francisco, CA, $177,476; New York, NY, $129,586; Tampa, FL, $102,191; Phoenix, AZ, $93,729; and Birmingham, AL, $90,527 per year.
According to zippia.com, there are now over 64,798 MRI technologists working in the United States.
Women make up 56.4% of all MRI technologists, while men make up 43.6%.
White (75.1%) is the most frequent ethnicity among MRI technologists, followed by Hispanic or Latino (9.4%), Asian (6.8%), and Black or African American (5.8%).
Women were expected to earn 98% of what males earned in 2021.
This article is helpful to individuals interested in the MRI technologist career who want to know the duties and responsibilities that define the job.
Employers/recruiters will also find the sample MRI technologist job description helpful in making a detailed description of the role in their organizations.