Medical Office Administrative Assistant Job Description, Duties and Responsibilities
If you are searching to know what the medical office administrative assistant job description is, this post will help you with the information.
You will learn about the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the medical office administrative assistant work description in most organizations.
This post will also help you to learn about the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill if you are seeking to work in a medical office as an administrative assistant.
Please, continue reading:
What Does a Medical Office Administrative Assistant Do?
A medical office administrative assistant is an individual who accomplishes administrative duties in a medical establishment.
His/her job description involves providing background support in the doctor’s office, ensuring the successful operation of the clinic by performing non-medical tasks.
Administrative assistants in a medical office usually perform a wide range of duties which involve handling of files and collection of personal and health information for patients, to have a complete database of clients.
As front desk staff, administrative assistants serve as the first point of contact clients have with the clinic.
Their role in a medical office also includes handling of inquiries about the clinic and providing useful information to the public.
They will prepare the paperwork for patients’ appointments and fix the date for them to see the doctor.
They will also carry out follow up on scheduled appointments to ensure they are honored.
In order to facilitate patients’ treatment, medical administrative assistants will process patients’ documents for laboratory tests, and x-rays carried out in the clinic, and file results accordingly in patients’ files.
They are also responsible for arranging and sorting out patients’ files, which they will keep in an assigned location, as well as in a particular order for easy retrieval when next the patient visits the clinic.
Upon a patient’s visit to the clinic, the assistant will locate his/her file and presents it to the medical staff.
The file will be placed back in the right place after the patient’s visit.
Medical Office Administrative Assistant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Medical office administrative assistants perform various functions in ensuring the clinic operates smoothly.
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that mostly define the medical office administrative assistant job description are shown below:
- Make the necessary forms available to patients upon their visit to the clinic for consultation or treatment and guide them in filling the forms correctly. New files should be opened for new patients while files for returning patients should be sorted out. Each form should be categorized and the specific information patients need to provide to complete the form should be explained to them. Also, complicated terms should be explained to patients to avoid inaccurate information in their records
- Review patients’ contact information periodically to get rid of outdated data and replace them with patients’ current status. Communicate with clients regularly to receive updates of changes in their demographics
- Process patients billing for payment of services rendered in the clinic; verify their payment options, and issue receipts accordingly; inform clients of various payment options and packages for their convenience
- Communicate with various departments of the clinic to make arrangements for patients’ schedules for tests, consultation, and other appointments
- Confirm the readiness of lab test results for collection, providing evidence of patients’ payment for such services to ensure they are attended to
- Fill insurance forms with accurate information of patients’ health history to facilitate insurance reimbursement. Provide codes for insurance procedures performed on patients in accordance with acceptable standards
- Prepare names of clients to benefit from free in-house immunization program, which is part of clinic’s initiative to show appreciation to clients and maintain their patronage for a long term business relationship
- Provide educational health materials such as Cds, audio books, and magazines to patients as part of measures to promote good health conditions amongst clients and win their loyalty
- Check hospital stock, record supply orders, and inspect delivery of supplies; also ensure receipts for payments are documented to be used in balancing of accounts
Medical Office Administrative Assistant Job Description for Resume
You can apply the sample medical office administrative assistant job description shown above in writing the job or professional experience section of your resume if you are making one for a new job.
If you are presently working as an administrative assistant in a medical office or have worked in that position before and are applying for a new job, you will need to include the professional experience section in your resume.
The above sample job description highlights major functions, duties, and responsibilities of most administrative assistants employed in medical offices, which you can edit to suit your actual professional experience and use in completing the professional experience section of your resume.
Medical Office Administrative Assistant Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
When hiring for the role of a medical office administrative assistant, most recruiters would want interested persons for the position to prove that they will be effective in performing the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the role in their facility.
This they do by giving a set of requirements that applicants must meet to be considered for the medical administrative assistant position; see the major ones below:
- A minimum qualification of high school diploma and a Medical Assistant Certification from a recognized institution are required to be eligible for the job
- Knowledge of medical coding procedures, transcriptions, and terminologies for filling medical documents and interpreting doctor’s prescriptions
- Excellent knowledge of customer care to attend to clients in a professional manner
- Exhibit competence in operating a computer system to fill in records, using programs like Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Ability to put things in order
- Having EMR experience may be an advantage
- Experience working before in an administrative role in a healthcare environment or in a related field
- Strong interpersonal skills and outgoing personality to relate in a friendly way with patients, colleagues, and medical personnel
- Strong ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment without feeling burnt out.
If you are a recruiter of HR manager hiring for the medical office administrative assistant job, you will need to make and post a description of the role so that interested persons can be well guided about the duties and responsibilities that constitute the job.
The sample job description provided above can be applied in making a detailed description of the medical administrative assistant job for your organization.
This post is equally useful to individuals interested in the medical office administrative assistant career to learn all they need to know about what the role does, and become better prepared for the career.
Did you find this post helpful in learning about the duties and responsibilities of a medical administrative assistant? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You may also discuss your job description if you work as an administrative assistant in a medical office.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.