This post provides detailed information on the master scheduler job description, including the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the master scheduler role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Master Scheduler Do?
A master scheduler is responsible for coordinating, planning, scheduling, and supervising products throughout their production process or cycle.
The master scheduler job description entails ensuring that all the different processes and schedules being set by an organization are followed judiciously so as to attain great efficiency.
A master scheduler usually works for a large firm that operates in the manufacturing sector, but can also work in certain places like other (large) private and government facilities, and hospitals.
Master Scheduler Job Description Example/Template
A master scheduler performs various functions in ensuring that work being done within a company is performed in a particular order so as to attain efficiency, and to also make sure that whatever product being rendered by a company meets or surpasses a particular standard and/or required level.
The job description below is a typical example of the kind of tasks, duties, and responsibilities commonly assigned to persons who work as master schedulers in most organizations:
- Create and/or organize a production schedule on a daily basis and also make sure that every output (level) is recorded appropriately in the correct system
- Work hand-in-hand with other employees to make sure that all issues that are related to scheduling are properly handled and resolved
- Work closely with vendors so as to make sure that the company’s supply needs are adequately met in a timely manner
- Rectify and/or reconcile differences and inaccuracies that have to do with shipment and deliveries to customers
- Make sure schedules are given to employees in a timely fashion and that any distortions in the company’s schedule are accounted for always
- Ensure that every employee involved in the production process has a clear understanding of what is required to meet the order and needs of customers
- Maintain different reporting systems to make sure that all forms of documentation are accurate and also timely.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Master Scheduler Role
If you are seeking the job of a master scheduler, you will be expected to meet certain requirements.
Here are major requirements and qualifications most employers will expect you to meet to be able to access the job:
- Must have excellent communication skills so as to be able to pass the necessary information to both customers and employees
- Must be able to work in a team environment cordially and effectively, as well as having the ability to lead a team if required to
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to relate respectfully, cordially, and freely with people (customers, employees, and vendors inclusive)
- Must have good leadership abilities
- Must be able to motivate other employees when needed
- Must exhibit a high level of flexibility and an ability to multi-task at all times
- Must be able to work with little or no supervision
- Must possess good reasoning and problem-solving abilities
- Must have the ability to work as a ‘link person’ or middle person amongst customers, employees, and vendors
- Must possess at least a basic knowledge of supply chain activities
- Must have good time management ability so as to be able to meet up with orders and schedules
- Must be able to make use of different data base programs especially Microsoft Excel
- Must have a degree in business administration or any other field that has to do with supply-chain
- A minimum of 3 years working experience in a similar position
- Must possess the required certification needed in fields like supply chain, project management, or business management.
The work description sample for the master scheduler position provided in this post will be useful to you if you are an employer looking to hire for the role in your organization.
You can apply it to create a detailed description for the position in your company, which can help you attract the best people to your master scheduler job offer.
Also, individuals who are thinking of getting into the scheduling career will find this post useful in learning about the duties and responsibilities of a master scheduler. With this information, they can make better decision about getting into the career and succeeding in it.