Massage Therapist Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Massage Therapist Do?
Massage therapists perform their duties by manipulating soft-tissues of the body through touch. By this process, therapists relieve stress, rehabilitate injuries, increase the general wellness of clients, improve circulation of blood and air and increase relaxation.
The massage therapist job description entails utilizing a combination of soft and hard touches to cure a client’s injuries and encourage general wellness.
Massage therapists can apply varieties of oils and massage tables or chairs when treating a client.
A massage can last for durations of 55-10 minutes, or could take longer than an hour.
Therapists will have a conversation with a client based on what they would like to achieve through the massage session.
Some massage therapists take it a bit further by suggesting personalized treatment plans for their clients.
Therapists can become specialists in the following fields of massage or modalities: sports massage, Swedish massage, deep tissue massage etc.
There are other types of modalities a therapist can specialize in. However, most massage therapists specialize in a combination of several modalities which require different techniques.
The client’s physical needs and condition will determine the type of massage given. For instance, therapists might apply several combinations of techniques for athlete clients that they would not use for elderly clients.
Also, some specific massage is given to only one type of client; like the prenatal massage given to pregnant women only.
A massage therapist can set up their own place where they render their services or join an existing organization.
A self-employed therapist may need to carry out activities like buying supplies, doing laundry, maintaining financial records, and marketing.
Massage therapists generally have interests in helping and building areas. The building areas show a focus on working with machines and tools and fixing or making practical things.
The Helping interest area indicates a focus on teaching, serving, counseling and assisting other people.
Massage therapist Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Massage therapists perform different functions in treating injuries and encouraging their clients to maintain wellness.
The major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that make up the job description of a massage therapist are shown below:
- Massage and knead soft tissues and muscles of the body to actualize treatment for injuries, medical conditions, or wellness maintenance
- Administer therapy treatments to patients using physical treatment aids or both hands
- Discuss with clients about their medical problems and histories with pain and stress to determine how the massage will be most helpful
- Carry out interview with patients to gather valuable medical information
- Apply hand and finger pressure to certain points of the body to achieve an effect
- Apply hand and finger pressure to selected points of the body
- Have and maintain medical records
- Have and maintain treatment records
- Assess clients’ muscle strength, joint quality and function, soft tissue condition, and range of motion
- Teach medical equipment use or medical procedures to patients
- Create and suggest treatment plans that are to be used
- Create therapy programs for patients
- Professionally refer clients to other specialized therapists when the need arises
- Prepare, blend, and apply oils to clients’ skin
- Administer therapy treatments to patients using physical treatment aids or hands
- Join hands with other types of therapists to plan for clients
- Consult with other professionals in the healthcare industry such as psychologists, chiropractors, physiotherapists, and physicians, to create treatment plans for clients.
Massage therapist Requirements- Skills, Abilities, and knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a massage therapist, you will be expected to meet certain requirements for employers to be sure that you will be able to perform the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the massage therapist work description that you will be handed with if hired.
Provided below are major requirements most employers or recruiters may expect applicants for the massage therapist role to fulfill to be hired for the job:
- Posses High School Diploma and postgraduate training in massage therapy
- A valid license recognized by authorities of the State or region of practice
- A minimum of 4+ years work experience required for professional therapists
- Reliable transportation is required
- Excellent customer service and sales skills
- Ability to treat clients’ at homes, offices, or at professional settings
- Ability to analyze the physical conditions of patients so appropriate treatment can be administered.
If you are an employer looking to hire for the role of massage therapist, you will need to make a good description of the available job to be able to attract the best persons for the position.
To enable you do this quickly and effortlessly, you can apply the sample job description provided in this post. It provides exhaustive list of the major duties and responsibilities massage therapists perform, which you can use in making a detailed description of the role for your company.
This post is also useful to individuals interested in becoming a massage therapist to learn and understand what they do, as well as what skills, abilities, knowledge, and experience to have to easily find a job and succeed in the career.
Did this article help increase your knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of a massage therapist? Please, leave a comment in the box below. And if you work as a massage therapist, you can also share your job description.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.