Machine Operator Job Description Sample, Duties and Responsibilities
What Does a Machine Operator Do?
A machine operator is a person trained in maintaining, controlling, and operating machines and equipment that are used in the manufacturing of smaller production equipment and other utility products.
The job description of the machine operator entails operating high speed sophisticated machines by managing settings and conducting tests to ensure a successful operation in the production process.
The operator’s duties also include selecting specific raw materials for production and ensuring a good combination of these materials so that they complement each other.
As part of maintenance measures, they inspect equipment in use through troubleshooting, checking for any problems in them and fixing them immediately if any, in order to prevent breakdown in the course of work.
Having acquired raw materials needed for production, the machine operator loads them into the machine accordingly, getting them ready for production.
He/she also enters the job specification sizes and shapes of the products into the machine for optimal operation.
He/she judiciously monitors all activities going on at the work site, records them for accuracy, clarification, and verification, and reports to the supervisor.
Even while the machine is in operation, the operator monitors it closely to detect any signs of malfunctioning that may affect the quality of work and tackles it immediately to avoid it getting worse.
As one responsible for production, Operators of machines usually ensure that all production materials are never in shortage.
They place order for more materials even while little is remaining.
Other things they do include maintaining a cordial relationship with clients to make them feel good and comfortable about bringing more jobs to the organization and even recommending them to more clients.
Machine operators also inspect all finished goods, checking for maintenance in production quality and standards.
When it is noticed that some goods are not good enough, they are reproduced to meet the set standards.
Sample Machine Operator Job Description
Below is a job description sample showing a list of important tasks, duties, and responsibilities commonly performed by machine operators in the course of doing their job:
- Arrange machine at the beginning of work procedures to ensure that everything is in order.
- Test the machine before main work begins to be sure that it’s in good condition for production.
- Clean up machine parts after every work procedure.
- Set all machine operation information such as speed, size and shape into machine before it begins running.
- Insert all production materials in the various parts of the machine where they are supposed to be to enhance production output.
- Ensure that machines are calibrated and recalibrated before and after production procedures.
- Troubleshoot machine problems to determine actual faults.
- Strictly adhere to client job specification and ensure good quality work.
- Ensure timely preparation and availability of all production materials to avoid shortage during production.
- Report to supervisor(s) regularly, keeping them updated on production activities and progress.
- Study blueprint from work layout to ensure accuracy in production task.
Writing a Resume for the Position:
If you need to write a resume for the job of machine operator, the job description example shown above can provide valuable information for creating the employment history section of the resume. See detailed machine operator resume sample here.
Requirements – Qualities – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for the Post of Machine Operator
Here are key qualities, including skills, knowledge, and abilities people vying for the job of machine operator are mostly required to have by employers:
- Ability to handle heavy equipment.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to multitask.
- Good communication skills.
- Have good knowledge of mechanical devices
- See detailed machine operator skills and qualities to be best on the job.
Are you currently employed as a machine operator? If yes, or you have previously worked in that role, please share your job description and experience with other users of this site in the comment box below, many thanks!