15 Machine Operator Skills to be Best on the Job
This post shows the skills you need to be able to perform at the best of your potential as a machine operator.
Therefore, if you are a machine operator looking for how to be more effective on your job, this post will be useful to you.
Who is a Machine Operator?
A machine operator is a person trained in operating, controlling, and maintaining high speed sophisticated machines and equipment that are used in the manufacturing of smaller production equipment and other utility products.
Machine operators perform various duties which include arranging and testing machines before production, cleaning up machine parts after each work procedure, inserting all production materials in the various parts of the machine for enhancement of production output, and troubleshooting machine problems to determine faults.
Machine operators work in different environments, operating and controlling machines for individuals, companies, government and factories.
15 Machine Operator Skills and Qualities to be Best on the Job
1. Repair Skills. A machine operator should occasionally perform routine maintenance on equipment, and carefully determine what type of maintenance is needed and when. Hiring operators with repair skills can save time and money, which is why this quality is essential.
2. Attention to Detail. The work of a machine operator is a delicate one that requires adequate attention. Failure to concentrate may lead to unnecessary mistakes that can result to time wasting.
3. Communication Skills. The machine operating job requires that those involved will be working on a team, either with other machine operators or in coordination with supervisors and coworkers. The operator must be a good listener, able to understand and follow instructions with as little supervision as possible. And they also need the ability to write well for more effective communication.
4. Integrity. Machine operators should be honest to themselves and others. An operator with integrity skill knows his/her strengths and weaknesses, and is not afraid to make mistakes. When he/she faces blame, he/she takes the responsibility for erring and still maintains a high degree of loyalty. Such a person can be trusted for his/her integrity, and that can make a way for more opportunities.
5. Machine Limits and Capabilities Skills. Machine operators should be able to choose the most efficient machine to work with. They need to understand the limits and capabilities of the machines they are expected to operate, and to coordinate several machines working together.
6. Good People Skills. Most times, how machine operators handle adversities and dissatisfied clients matters a lot in this profession. This can be quite challenging, but with good people skills they can conquer the situation and still maintain a very solid relationship with clients and employers.
7. Problem Solving Skills. Machine operators who want to be good at solving problems must think deeply about how to identify complex problems and look for ways to implement possible solutions. They should be able to control situations and still maintain a peaceful working environment.
8. Solid Organizational Skills. Machine operators need to stay well organized with their job, knowing how their business is doing financially. Tools and other machineries need to be kept safe after each day’s work.
9. Active Listening. Operators of machine should be able to give full attention to what other people are saying, and take time to understand the points being made. They need to ask appropriate questions at the appropriate times, avoiding unnecessary interruptions.
10. Critical Thinking Skills. This allows machine operators to be able to analyze situations and reason out possible solutions. Without proper thoughts given to problems, machine operators cannot find the right approaches to problems and how to discover alternative means of solving them.
11. Multi-tasking Skills. Operators should be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without confusion. Effective multi-tasking is achieved when work is completed both efficiently and correctly, and without much stress. The ability to manipulate multiple tasks must not be underestimated because of the great outcome it brings about.
12. Operation Monitoring and Control. Gauging the machine before work will determine if it works properly. Machine operators should control operations and assess performances. When there is error in operation, they should be able to troubleshoot and determine causes before deciding what to do about it.
13. Enthusiasm. Machine operators should be enthusiastic about their job. This displays on their performances and the way they carry out tasks. How positive and creative they are matters a lot in their profession. Cautiousness in behavior and attitude, and keen interest in decision-making are two determinant factors to consider.
14. Ability to Train Less-experienced Operators. Training less-experienced operators not only improves the competences of other operators, but also becomes an effective way for producing more experienced operators. Senior machine operators thus develop their leadership skills and maintain a steady balance of knowledge.
15. Active Learning. Machine operators should always look out for new information needed for solving problems and making decisions. They may go for further training in order to improve their capacity and acquire more skills, or lay hands on relevant instructional materials to improve their learning prowess.
Machine Operator Skills for Resume
If you are writing a resume for a machine operator job, you can make the core competence or skills section by adopting the skills and qualities given for the role above if you have them.
The core competence section of your resume gives you the opportunity to show the recruiter the skills and qualities that you possess to help you succeed on the machine operator position.
If you are a machine operator who wants to be best on your job, you need to work on the above qualities and develop the right skills to effectively handle the challenges of the job.
As an employer looking to hire the best people for the machine operator job, including the above skills and qualities in the hiring requirements will enable you get the right candidates for the position.
Did you find the machine operator skills shared in this post useful in improving your job performance? Do share what you have learnt from this article in the box below.