Legal Case Manager Job Description Example
What Does a Legal Case Manager Do?
Legal case managers are responsible for the management of all legal information and paperwork required for an active case.
The legal case manager job description entails overseeing the general procession of a legal case to ensure relevant elements of a case are collected, maintained, and organized.
In performing their duties, legal case managers examine legal drafts to determine if they are valid enough to be approved by an attorney.
They ensure case files and documents are organized and readily available for a lawyer.
They also act as attorney representative to interact with clients during a case management process.
Legal case managers utilize computer information systems (CIS) to effectively organize and manage legal case files.
Their role also involves assisting attorneys in optimizing the process of case load management, as well as providing client guidance in situations of attorney unavailability.
They also ensure attorney efficiency by drawing up legal documents and updating records of client correspondence.
Usually, legal case managers prepare weekly and monthly reports of case management activities to a supervisor.
They are responsible for scheduling client-attorney meetings and also manage attorneys court schedule to ensure case preparations are concluded before a trial.
Their work description may also involve serving as a law firm’s frontline personnel; therefore, they are required to establish good working relationship with clients.
Legal case managers often interview clients to obtain statements and pass on relevant information to a lawyer.
They conduct research to obtain evidence or other useful information about a case.
They also file appeals, exhibits and other legal documents with a court.
As part of their duties, legal case managers communicate with clients to update them on the progress of a case.
They oversee case costs to ascertain outstanding balances between client and attorney.
They also update job knowledge by attending educational programs and studying relevant publications.
Legal case managers require at least an associate’s degree in paralegal studies, although educational requirements may vary across different law firms.
The major qualities required to succeed on this job include management, interpersonal, and communication skills.
Legal Case Manager Job Description Example/Template
The job description example shown below highlights the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually make up the work functions of most legal case managers:
- Conduct research to investigate the facts of a case in order to obtain useful information
- Prepare legal documents and articles required for a case preparation
- File appeals, exhibits and briefs with a court clerk or opposing legal counsel
- Manage and organize legal information by ensuring proper archiving or storage on electronic-filing systems
- Collect, arrange, and preserve evidence and other useful document required for a legal proceeding
- Oversee the drafting of client and legal correspondence documents such as mortgages and contracts
- Contact clients to update them on the progress of a case as well as reply their enquiries or forward to an attorney
- Oversee the delivery of subpoenas and court summons to witnesses and other concerned individuals
- Schedule and arrange client meetings with attorney
- Notify an attorney or law firm of the time frame or deadlines for a case preparation
- Establish good working relationship with clients in order to obtain vital information required in preparing for a case
- Respond to clients and obtain their correspondence in absence of an attorney
- Review trial transcripts, take notes during legal proceedings and handle exhibits
- Organize and manage legal volumes to ensure they are up-to-date
- Prepare case summaries and other documents which support a case preparation.
Legal Case Manager Resume Preparation
If you are looking to prepare a legal case manager resume, the above job description will be useful in creating an effective work experience section.
With the job experience section, you can show employers the duties and responsibilities that you carried out as a legal case manager in your previous employment.
This will make it easy for employers to see that you will be able to perform the tasks of the position effectively if hired.
The sample work description above provides the functions of the position that can assist you to conveniently create this section.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Legal Case Manager Job
Are you interested in working as a legal case manager? If you are, then here are typical requirements you will have to meet to work with most law firms:
- Education and Training: To become a legal case manager, you require at least a high school diploma which is a prerequisite for an associate’s degree in paralegal studies. Various law firms may require case managers to possess specialized degrees or experience in a particular field
- Management Skill: Legal case managers are adept at coordinating and organizing an attorney’s case load to ensure effective preparation for legal proceedings
- Interpersonal Skill: Legal case managers are able to interact with different clients in order to obtain correspondence and provide response to client enquiries
- Communication Skill: They are well versed in clearly communicating with attorneys and clients to help establish the facts of a case.
Legal Case Manager Skills for Resume
Again, if you are making a legal case manager resume, you can create an effective skills section by applying the above qualities.
Since the above qualities are what employers usually require for the legal case manager job, having and stating them in your resume will make it more appealing to employers as they can see that you have what it takes to excel on the job.
This post shows the duties and responsibilities legal case managers usually perform. This information is useful to you if you are interested in the career and want to know what the role entails to prepare yourself for it.
For employers needing to hire a good legal case manager, the sample job description shown above can serve as a template in designing a perfect work description for use in hiring suitably qualified candidates to the position and assigning the right tasks to them.
Did you find this post helpful in learning about what legal case managers do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You may also share what you do as a legal case manager if you are one.