Kohl’s Retail Sales Associate Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Kohl’s Retail Sales Associate Do?
Retail sales associates at Kohl’s are responsible for providing assistance to the store leadership team in implementing the company’s operational and merchandizing functions within assigned sales floor areas, following company standard procedures.
Their job description entails greeting and offering customers the needed assistance, and ensuring that company standards are maintained in all merchandise replenishment, presentation, and sizing, as well as in signage, and display.
To be effective in their role, sales associates at Kohl’s must have excellent knowledge of company products, strong communication and customer service skills, as well as excellent selling techniques.
The sales associate needs to be able to observe customer activities at the store closely and respond quickly to them when he/she feels they might need some assistance with their purchases. The associate must leave whatever task they might be engaged in to attend to customers.
He/she has the responsibility to communicate the value and quality of the store’s merchandise effectively to customers while bringing their attention to the current promotions the store is running; he/she also helps customers out when necessary with items that are “out of stock”.
The retail sales associate must be able to display sound judgement when dealing with various customer issues, as well as effective selling skills that result in sales conversion.
His/her duties also involve providing accurate, fast, and friendly service at the store while explaining the benefits of new programs and/or service to customers.
They also entail ensuring that the required stock level is maintained and that all styles and sizes of merchandise are available for display.
Maintaining and keeping the store and backroom clean, neat, and organized always, as well as maintaining customer ready environment and safety requirements are also part of the tasks of the sales associate at Kohl’s.
He/she is also expected to perform housekeeping duties in line with company standard on a daily basis, as well as quickly informing the leadership of the store of needed items so that associates and customers are always provided with a safe and clean environment.
The associate is also responsible for safeguarding company asset by ensuring that all loss prevention procedures are followed in carrying out their various functions.
Kohl’s Retail Sales Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Kohl’s sales associates perform various functions in ensuring the store’s goals are achieved.
The typical sales associate duties, tasks, and responsibilities at Kohl’s are shown in the job description example below:
- Meet and greet customers and fellow associates with a smile followed by saying “Hi”. Inspire other associates to do same
- Provide assistance to customers with a courteous and friendly attitude
- Resolve customers’ requests and questions in an efficient manner and ensure company’s “Yes We Can” policy is adhered to in carrying out work activities and providing support to colleagues
- Respond to phone/call box pages with urgency
- Ensure the 5 step GREAT program (Greets Customer, Requests Credit, Explains Email, Asks to complete the Survey and Thanks the Customer) are always applied when interacting with customers
- Perform soliciting, opening, and activation of Kohl’s Charge applications following company standards
- Request email addresses politely from customers
- Give appropriate response to Service Desk and POS backup calls. Provide assistance with customer service and POS as required, ensuring that the company’s “2 in-a-line” standard is complied with
- Help customers to hold merchandise when required and take those not picked up back to the sales floor. Perform rain checks processing in accordance with company standards
- Apply merchandise presentation standards in performing activities concerning the 5 Basics: strike points, signing, sizing, clearance and clean store
- Provide assistance in applying communication books, monthly updates, etc. following company’s standards on merchandise presentation
- Provide assistance with sales floor returns and department fitting room recovery according to merchandising standards
- Demonstrate capacity to work independently in meeting company’s recovery and presentation goals
- Carry out work areas, sales floor, and fitting room maintenance following established best practices
- Carry out merchandising of incoming truck freight and restock the sales floor in accordance with company standards and directives regarding merchandise presentation
- Observe opportunities in merchandising and sales floor operations and communicate it to the E3, Supervisor, or the Area Supervisor
- Keep non-promotional signs on the sales floor and organize merchandise on fixtures following company standards. Settle issues relating to ad as required by effecting changes on signs to show new sales price
- Provide assistance in maintaining company’s organizational guidelines and stockroom capacity by adhering to best practices
- Complete all paperwork as instructed by store management, including price changes, callbacks, ISC memos, and transfers
- Adhere to company best practices and get involved in programs such as rewraps, even exchanges, damages, store shortage action plans, mis-mates, and defectives
- Provide assistance to the Replenishment team by applying all daily reports relating to replenishment; ensure company goals on in-stock are maintained.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Kohl’s Retail Sales Associate Role
If you are seeking the sales associate position at Kohl’s, here are major requirements you may be asked to meet to get an interview appointment:
- Prior working experience in customer service, sales, or in other field that involves working with large groups of people
- Strong ability to list items of 50 pounds from occasionally to frequently basis
- Strong ability to stand or move about different parts of the store all through working hours
- Ability to perform physical activities frequently, including stooping, bending, lifting, carrying, reaching, climbing, or/and walking
- Strong ability to adhere to company procedures and policy in the performance of duties
- Ability to come to work regularly
- Possess effective communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Strong ability to give attention to detail
- Strong ability to interact effectively with people from various background and to work within a team environment
- Ability to write legibly in addition to possessing reading and basic math skills.
If you are seeking to work as a sales associate or are interested in a sales career at Kohl’s and need to know what the role entails, the sample job description provided in this post will help you out.
You will be able to learn about the duties and responsibilities of the position, as well as the requirements you need to meet to qualify for the job.
Did this post help you to understand what Kohl’s sales associates do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. Do also share your job experience if you work at Kohl’s as a retail sales associate.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.