Target Sales Associate Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Target Sales Associate Do?
Sales associates at Target are responsible for selling to and serving customers, as well as ensuring operational excellence and flawless execution of store operations are achieved.
Their job description entails building emotional connection with customers, thereby contributing to achieving the Store KPI targets.
Sales associates engage with customers at the store by greeting them in a warm, friendly, and helpful manner.
His/her role involves reading and explaining store reward/discount programs to customers, as well as providing the right answers to their questions regarding merchandise, and also directing them to the area within the store where they will find the item they are looking for.
Target sales associates also perform cashiering and cash handling duties, which include ringing up customers’ transaction following the company’s policies on cash handling and register procedures.
Other cashiering tasks include counting of money, verification of amount, issuance of receipt, and making of change to customers.
Sales associates are also responsible for reading and interpreting information on price ticket, as well as entering data through terminal keyboard and operating a calculator.
Their store operation tasks involve cleaning, organizing, and maintaining the store.
He/she picks up trash in the aisles and return merchandise to the appropriate display area in accordance to the store standards.
He/she also cleans the sales associates’ restrooms, break room, front walkway/store’s stoop, mirrors and other housekeeping items that need cleaning; he/she also vacuums the store.
The sales associate at Target also performs merchandising functions such as unloading merchandise from truck, organizing and maintaining the stockroom, and filling accessories.
His/her responsibilities also involve placing products on the sales floor following company standards, maintaining standards at the clearance area, and completing markdowns.
Target Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Sales associates working at Target perform various functions to ensure that customers are treated in the best manner in accordance with company standards.
The major tasks, duties, and responsibilities Target sales associates may be assigned are shown in the job description example below:
- Apply all available resources in the store to meet both personal and store targets
- Ensure working and shopping environments are safe for co-workers and customers by adhering to procedures and policies of the store
- Work in harmony and effectively with other team members to achieve and surpass store goals
- Take advantage of available opportunity for learning and strive to improve personal and store performance
- Provide support to fellow team members when necessary
- Work with the company’s customer service model to meet and surpass customers’ expectation and increase brand experience and sales
- Build emotional bond with customers by being a passionate company brand ambassador
- Continually learn about company products to be able to effectively guide customers
- Ensure housekeeping and visual merchandising standards to make the store appealing and convenient to shop to customers
- Remain alert and watchful while attending to customers on the sales floor to minimize loss
- Ensure store cash protection procedures are adhered to always when completing sales transactions
- Apply selling expertise in creating add-on sales at the cash desk that can help in building customer loyalty
- Responsible for product returns, cash refunds, and product exchange requests from customers; use the opportunity of the interaction with customers to increase their shopping experience
- Assist in delivering products purchased to customers and participate in replacing bought products on the sales floor
- Maintain stockroom with adequate supply of products always
- Apply customer and retail expertise in prioritizing the flow of merchandise to the sales floor.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Target Sales Associate Role
If you are looking to work at a Target store as a sales associate, you will be expected to meet certain requirements to be considered for hiring.
The following are major skills, abilities, experience, and knowledge you may be asked to fulfil to qualify to access the sales associate role at Target:
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the principles and processes of customer service
- Strong ability to work in a fast paced environment, to learn and adapt quickly
- Strong ability to comprehend written and verbal instructions and carry them out effectively, and to ask for clarification when necessary
- Possess inspirational attitude that positively impacts on the team
- Strong ability to relate with team members and maintain effective working relationship with them
- Ability to be punctual, consistent, and reliable on the job
- Physically fit to lift items up to 50 pounds occasionally and 25 pounds frequently
- Possess high school diploma and three to six months working experience in retail
- Strong communication, literacy, and numeracy skills.
If you are interested in a career with Target as a sales associate, the information and job description sample provided in this post will help you understand the duties and responsibilities of the role that you may be assigned if hired.
You will also learn what is required to be hired for the position.
Did this post help you learn about what Target sales associates do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. And if you work at Target as a sales associate, do also share your job experience.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.