IT Careers: 10 Highest Paying Jobs and Salaries
This post provides complete information of the IT careers and the highest paying jobs you can get.
It also provides information about the salaries of each IT job to help you decide which of the careers to go into.
Please, continue reading:
Nearly six million people across a collection of industries are employed into the Information Technology industry, from technology to healthcare; education to finance.
Generally, Information Technology can be divided into four central pathways:
- Network systems
- Information support and services
- Programming and software development
- Web and digital communication
Information Technology careers focus on designing, creating, managing, and maintaining the various parts of the system, including software, hardware, networks, systems integration and multimedia.
We are going to discuss 10 highest paying jobs under Information Technology careers on this page.
After reading this article to the end, you will come to discover how to go into any of the careers of your choice.
Here is our selection of top 10 highest paying IT jobs:
- Hardware Engineer
- Network Administrator
- Data Architect
- Solutions Architect
- Computer Network Architect
- Cloud Architect
- Business Intelligence Developer
- Information Technology Manager
- Application Architect
- Computer Technical Support Specialist
10 Highest Paying IT Jobs and Salaries
- Hardware Engineer
Hardware Engineers are responsible for researching, designing, developing, and testing computer components, such as circuit boards, processors, memory cards, keyboards, printers, routers, and networks.
Hardware Engineers also make changes to existing hardware to enhance functionality and operation with latest software systems.
Hardware Engineers Duties
Hardware Engineers commonly perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Test and re-test parts to ensure they work properly
- Test work and refine processes
- Identify and isolate defects
- Integrate components into the final design
- Assess the effectiveness of the design and change if necessary
- Estimate cost, reliability, and safety factors
- Generate specifications for parts
- Control the efficiency of processes
- Oversee technicians and other engineers during development phase
- Build, test, and modify product prototypes
- Evaluate information and recommend appropriate hardware to users
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration
- Retrieve data for analysis of system capabilities.
Hardware Engineers Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
Here are commonly required qualifications, skills, and experience for the Hardware Engineers position:
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- Critical-thinking skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Analytical skills
- Speaking skills
- Practical internship experience is necessary.
Hardware Engineers Salary
The median annual pay for Hardware Engineers was $100,920 in May 2012.
Future Job Outlook for Hardware Engineers
Employment of Hardware Engineers is projected to grow 7% from 2012 to 2022, slower than the average for all jobs.
2. Network Administrator
Network Administrators join various devices together to form fast and well-organized networks. They also maintain steady operations of computer networks of a company.
Network Administrator Duties
The major duties and responsibilities commonly performed by Network Administrators are shown below:
- Installing and configuring computer networks and systems
- Discovering and resolving any issues that arise with computer networks and systems
- Preserving existing software and hardware and upgrading any that has become outdated
- Discussing with clients to specify system requirements and design solutions
- Budgeting for equipment and assembly costs
- Assembling new systems
- Working with IT support personnel
- Providing network administration and support.
Network Administrator Qualifications and Skills
The qualifications and skills commonly required to access the Network Administrator job are given below:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or IT
- Strong understanding of network infrastructure
- Ability to administer and troubleshoot network devices
- IT and technical skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Team working skills
- Attention to detail
Network Administrator Salary
Salary estimated from 2,364 employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months, states that Network Administrators receive $66,843 as their annual salary.
According to PayScale, Network Administrators earn an average salary of $58,397 per year. Also Salarycom report, what Network Administrators receive as their annual salary is between the range of $53,646 and $69,168.
Future Job Outlook for Network Administrator
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Network Administrator jobs are projected to grow by 6% from 2016 to 2026, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
3. Data Architect
Data Architects build and maintain databases based on structural requirements and thorough analysis. This is a full-time role that requires education, advanced skills, and the use of computer.
Data Architect Duties
The following are major duties and responsibilities usually performed by Data Architects:
- Build up database solutions to store and get back company information
- Set up and arrange information systems to ensure functionality
- Evaluate structural necessities for new software and applications
- Move data from legacy systems to new solutions
- Develop system performance by conducting tests, troubleshooting, and integrating new elements.
Data Architect Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
Here are major requirements in seeking the Data Architect position:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Technology, or in a related field
- Data analytics
- Applied math and statistics
- Data visualization and data migration
- RDMSs (relational database management systems) or foundational database skills
- Database management system software, especially Microsoft SQL Server
- Databases such as NoSQL and cloud computing
- Hadoop technologies, like MapReduce, Hive, and Pig
- Information management and data processing on multiple platforms
- Machine learning
- Programming languages, especially Python and Java, as well as C/C++ and Perl
- Operating systems, including UNIX, Linux, Solaris, and MS Windows
- Application server software, especially Oracle
- Backup/archival software
- Project management experience
- Scripting languages
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking
- 3 to 5 years of job experience with proven project success.
Data Architect Salary
The median annual salary for Data Architects is $112,825. Data Architects are also eligible to receive extensive benefits through their employers, such as health insurance with premiums fully paid and unlimited time off. They may also receive incentive-based bonuses.
Future Job Outlook for Data Architect
Huge amounts of data are generated by the minute, and Data Architects are needed to solve problems every day, as well as take a long observation and try to figure out what problems a company will face in future.
4. Solutions Architect
Solutions Architects design applications or services within a company, and they typically work with Enterprise Architects for strategic direction.
Solutions Architect Duties
Shown below are major Solutions Architect duties and responsibilities:
- Gather functional requirements
- Develop specifications
- Determine project scope
- Lead development teams
- Interface directly with clients
- Manage external vendors.
Solutions Architect Qualifications and Skills
Here are major requirements for hiring for the Solutions Architect position:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Solid understanding of design patterns and application levels
- Thorough knowledge of software lifecycle
- Strong experience in solution architecture
- Profound knowledge of Microsoft Technologies in .NET framework and SQL
- Technical literacy
- Analytical assessment
- Schedule management
- Team leadership
- Problem-solving skills.
Solutions Architect Salary
According to Neuvoo, the average salary for a Solutions Architect in the United States is $140,067 per year or $71.83 per hour.
According to Glassdoor’s report, Solutions Architects earn an average salary of $122,087 per year.
Also, Paysa reports that Solutions Architects earns an average of $133,684, ranging from $108,598 at the 25th percentile to $153,923 at the 75th percentile, with top earners (the top 10%) earning more than $180,082.
PayScale reports the annual salary for Solutions Architects to be $116,756 or $72.92 per hour, with $11,918 bonus, $25,154 commission, and $5,018 profit-sharing.
Future Job Outlook for Solutions Architect
Jobs in this area are expected to grow by about 30% in the next few years; so many jobs will be available.
5. Computer Network Architect
Computer Network Architects design and build data communication networks, such as LANs, WANs, and intranets.
They notify the organization they work for where they might need networks, and also present and give details why it would benefit the organization to go for them.
Computer Network Architect Duties
Shown below are major duties commonly performed by Computer Network Architects:
- Make a plan and an arrangement for a data communication network
- Show the plan to management and give details why it is in the organization’s best interest to pursue it
- Consider information security when designing a network
- Determine what software (network drivers) and hardware (routers or adaptors) are required to support the network
- Decide how cables will be laid out in the building and where other hardware will go
- Research new technology to decide what would best uphold their organization in the future.
Computer Network Architect Qualification, Skills, and Experience
Here are major requirements to meet to be hired as a Computer Network Architect:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Engineering, or in a related field
- A Master’s of Business Administration (MBA) degree in Information Systems is an advantage
- Organizational skills
- Analytical skills
- Detail oriented
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Prior experience in a related profession.
Computer Network Architect Salary
In May 2012, Computer Network Architects earned the median annual salary of $91,000, out of which the top 10 percent earned more than $141,590, and the lowest 10 percent earned less than $52,580.
Future Job Outlook for Computer Network Architects
Demand for Computer Network Architects will increase as firms continue to expand their use of wireless and mobile networks, and employment of Computer Network Architects is projected to grow by 15% from 2012 to 2022, faster than the average for all jobs.
6. Cloud Architect
Cloud Architects are IT professionals responsible for converting the technical requirements of a project into the architecture and design that will guide the final product.
They supervise a company’s cloud computing system by working on cloud application designs, cloud approval plans, and systems needed to run cloud storage.
Cloud Architect Duties
The common duties performed by Cloud Architects are shown below:
- Regularly evaluate cloud applications, hardware, and software
- Develop and organize cloud systems
- Create a well-informed cloud strategy and manage the adaption process
- Collaborate with IT security to keep an eye on the company’s cloud privacy
- Respond to technical issues in a professional and timely manner
- Find out the top cloud architecture solutions to successfully meet the strategic needs of the company.
Cloud Architect Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
Here are the major requirements for hiring for the Cloud Architect position:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, or in a relevant field
- Outstanding knowledge of cloud computing technologies and current computing trends
- Positive attitude and a strong commitment to delivering quality work
- Computer Programming Languages
- Good understanding of networking
- Strong general background in enterprise computing
- Strong technical skills in enterprise computing
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Asking the right questions
- Planning and organizing
- Strategy/business sense
- 8 to 10 years of prior on-the-job experience
- 3 to 5+ years’ experience designing, executing and supporting IT cloud solutions.
Cloud Architect Certifications
There are a variety of certification and professional development programs you can choose from.
If you already have an IT background or the right skill set for a Cloud Architect, you can look into one of these professional certifications to boost your resume:
Google Certified Professional Cloud Architect: Google’s cloud architect certification tests your ability to design, plan, and manage cloud solution architecture and infrastructure. It also covers analysis and optimization, security and compliance of cloud architecture.
IBM Cloud Computing Solution Architect: This certification proves your ability to “design and plan the architecture and management principles of an IBM cloud computing infrastructure.”
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certified Solutions Architect: Amazon Web Services (AWS) is one of the most-used cloud services in the industry. When it comes to managing AWS applications and infrastructure this certification establishes your skills.
Cloud Architect Salary
Cloud Architects receive an average salary range of between $100,000 and $150,000. The average salary for a cloud architect is $124,923 per year according to data from PayScale, with a reported salary range between $82,309 and $185,208 per year depending on skills, experience, and location. However, according to ZipRecruiter, the average Cloud Architect salary is about $149,000 a year.
Future Job Outlook for Cloud Architects
The current statistics of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) shows that there will be a 9 percent growth from 2014 to 2024.
It mentions that as more companies are opting for cloud computing, there is a likelihood of the creation of more Cloud Architect jobs, which will lead to an increase in the average cloud architect salary.
7. Business Intelligence Developer
Business Intelligence Developers or BI Developers are professionals who ensure that appropriate IT solutions are put in place.
They work with databases and software, test and code, debug and design, and implement the tools already developed.
Business Intelligence Developer Duties
Business Intelligence Developers commonly perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Design, build, and deploy BI solutions (e.g. reporting tools)
- Translate business needs to technical specifications
- Maintain and support data analytics platforms (e.g. Micro Strategy)
- Create tools to store data (e.g. OLAP cubes)
- Conduct unit testing and troubleshooting
- Evaluate and improve existing BI systems
- Collaborate with teams to integrate systems
- Build and implement database queries and conduct analyses
- Create visualizations and reports for requested projects
- Develop and update technical documentation.
Business Intelligence Developer Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
The following are major requirements for hiring for the Business Intelligence Developer position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or in a relevant field
- Good knowledge of database management systems, online analytical processing (OLAP) and ETL (Extract, transform, load) framework
- Background in data warehouse design (e.g. dimensional modeling) and data mining
- Familiarity with BI technologies (e.g. Microsoft Power BI, Oracle BI)
- In-depth understanding of SQL queries, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
- BI Developer or Data Scientist experience
- Industry experience is preferred.
Business Intelligence Developer Salary
According to PayScale, the average salary for Business Intelligence Developers is $79,198 per year and $44.85 hourly, with additional $4,924 bonus.
Future Job Outlook for Business Intelligence Developers
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job market for Business Intelligence Developers is projected to grow by 21 percent from 2014 to 2024.
Business Intelligence Developers are highly needed in many different fields, such as law enforcement, healthcare, finance, education, etc.
8. Information Technology Manager
Information Technology (IT) Managers oversee and ensure efficient running of computing systems and equipment.
Information Technology Manager Duties
- The following are duties commonly performed by Information Technology Managers:
- Finishes projects by coordinating resources and timetables with user departments and data center
- Confirms application results by conducting system audits of technologies implemented
- Safeguards assets by implementing disaster recovery and back-up procedures and information security and control structures
- Recommends information technology strategies, policies, and procedures by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; and anticipating requirements.
Information Technology Manager Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
The following are major requirements individuals need to fulfill to be employed as an Information Technology Manager:
- B.Sc. in Computer Science, MIS, or in a similar field
- Technical management, information analysis and computer hardware/software systems skills
- In-depth knowledge of data center management and data governance
- Computer networks, network administration, and network installation
- Ability to manage personnel
- IT manager or relevant experience.
Information Technology Manager Salary
According to Glassdoor, Information Technology (IT) Managers receive an average annual salary of $97,461.
According to Salarycom data, the average Information Technology Manager salary in the United States was $120,705 as of July 30, 2019. However, the range usually falls between $108,066 and $132,913.
Future Job Outlook for Information Technology Managers
Demand for Information Technology Managers will grow as firms increasingly expand their business to digital platforms.
Employment of Information Technology Managers is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all jobs.
9. Applications Architect
Application Architects create new or improve on existing applications, manage software tests, develop product prototypes, and create technical documents and manuals regarding application development.
Application Architect Duties
The major duties commonly performed by Application Architects are shown below:
- Offering technical leadership to the application development team
- Performing design and code reviews
- Creating Technical Documents
- Partnering with other stakeholders to make sure the architecture is aligned with business requirements
- Overseeing the Design Process for Application Software
- Providing Technical Support and Training.
Application Architect Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
The following are major requirements for hiring for the Application Architect role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or in a similar discipline
- Ability to design, develop, and deploy enterprise-level N-tier architecture in a Microsoft .NET Framework or Java Enterprise Edition platform
- Communication skills
- Technical expertise
- Excellent planning and coordination
- Understanding of relevant development tools and specific application and system architecture
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years of related work experience and often look for software skill sets such as AJAX, C#/C++ and LAMP.
Application Architect Salary
According to Glassdoor, Application Architect average base salary is $124,230 per year.
Future Job Outlook for Application Architects
As reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment growth for Application Architects is anticipated to increase by 19% through 2024.
10. Computer Technical Support Specialist
Computer Technical Support Specialists provide assistance and maintenance to all computer systems and hardware within an organization.
They also install, configure, and update hardware and software, as well as resolve any issue related to the equipment that may come up every day.
Computer Technical Support Specialist Duties
The following are major duties performed by Computer Technical Support Specialists:
- Monitoring the status of all systems and hardware
- Responding to help requests from staff members or clients
- Installing and configuring new systems and hardware
- Running reports on systems and hardware status
- Replacing malfunctioning or damaged hardware
- Troubleshooting software
- Investigating, evaluating, and studying about updates and new technology.
Computer Technical Support Specialist Qualifications and Skills
Here are major requirements for hiring for the Computer Technical Support Specialist job:
- A Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree
- Outstanding knowledge of computer hardware and systems
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Time management skills and the proficiency to work under pressure
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to memorize hardware and systems specifications and procedures
- Being able to work in stressful environments.
Computer Technical Support Specialist Salary
According to 52 salaries extracted from job descriptions, the average Computer Technical Support Specialist salary is $57,200 per year or $29 per hour.
This is around 1.7 times more than the Median wage of the country. Entry level positions earn around $40,000 while most experienced workers receive up to $80,000.
Future Job Outlook for Computer Technical Support Specialists
According to the BLS, employment of Computer Technical Support Specialists is expected to grow by 11 percent from 2016 to 2026. This is due to increasingly sophisticated programs and technology.
The information you just read will help you if you desire to choose a career in Information Technology.
The truth here is that each of the above mentioned careers pays well and will continue to pay good into the future. Just make a choice and set a goal to reach your career destination.