DevOps Engineer Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information of the job description of a DevOps Engineer to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that typically make up the DevOps Engineer work description.
This article also shows the major requirements which applicants for the DevOps Engineer role may be expected to fulfill by recruiters to be able to access it.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the DevOps Engineer career:
What Does a DevOps Engineer Do?
DevOps Engineers are responsible for executing the tools and processes that enable DevOps for an organization or its clients, and also help customers adopt DevOps or work on DevOps projects.
Their job description entails creating processes for continuous integration and big data database management; writing infrastructure as a code scripts, and helping customers in cloud performance management, and in automating routine tasks.
DevOps is a software development strategy which bridges the gap between Development and Operational teams or the IT staff.
It enables organizations to automate processes – release small features and receive feedback very quickly.
DevOps Engineers work with technology solution companies, electronics companies, and IT infrastructure and operations management service providers.
They are responsible for assisting in the design, implementation, and support of cloud environment and auxiliary services.
They are also responsible for the deployment and management of multiple virtual clusters and work with compliance organizations to support security audits.
The DevOps Engineer work description also involves collaborating with development teams, QA teams, and product teams, as well as offshore teams to reach acceptance criteria, collect and document the requirements.
To work as a DevOps Engineer requires a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Information Systems, or MIS, or in a related field.
Technical IT expertise, experience with programming languages and cloud technologies, and practical work experience are also required to work as a DevOps Engineer.
It is also important that individuals who desire to become a DevOps Engineer can work in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary environment.
DevOps Engineer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
DevOps Engineers perform various functions, including building highly available cloud solutions and services, with a strong inclination towards security and automation.
They are responsible for the design, security, and maintenance of cloud infrastructure for the company.
They work independently and closely with developers to ensure that products are built to effectively utilize Azure features and other applicable functionality.
They are also responsible for working with the team to efficiently manage applications deployments and ensuring that all the tools and insights needed to make informed decisions about the maintenance and evolution of the cloud infrastructure are available in the company.
The core tasks, duties, and responsibilities that make up the DevOps Engineer job description are listed below:
- Responsible for working with development teams to translate scalability, performance, reliability, and functional requirements to virtualized/cloud computing solutions
- Responsible for developing testing strategies and performing tests to reveal viability of cloud deployment solutions
- Responsible for the administration and management of cloud computing clusters
- Required to assist engineer and development teams with the deployment of virtualized software services
- Run and support developer and user access to cloud resources
- Responsible for developing tools to check and report performance and security metrics for virtualized resources
- Take part in development and deployment of agile software and processes
- Render continuing support for the services and applications that are critical to the organization’s business needs
- Partake in industry and technical meetings to support business objectives
- Responsible for conveying information on the methods, findings, and hypotheses with stakeholders.
DevOps Engineer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a DevOps Engineer or are currently working in that position and are writing a resume for a new job, you will need to inform the recruiter about your experience in a relevant position by including the professional experience section in your resume.
So, if the new position you are seeking requires that you have some DevOps Engineering work experience, you can apply the above sample job description in making a convincing professional experience section for your resume.
DevOps Engineer Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a DevOps Engineer, you will only be able to access it if you can meet the recruiter’s requirements.
Most recruiters will want you to possess certain skills, abilities, qualifications, and experience to show that you will be effective in performing the obligations, objectives, and purpose of the DevOps Engineer role in their organizations.
Shown below are major requirements applicants for the DevOps Engineering role are commonly expected to fulfill to be hired for the role:
- Education: Applicants for the DevOps Engineer role are required to have a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Information Systems, MIS, or in a related field
- Knowledge: They must have Knowledge of best practices in support of IT operations and a good understanding of programming languages, including Java, C#, PHP, Python, Ruby or similar programming languages. It is also vital that they have a background in Linux systems and capability with cloud technologies such as CloudStack, VMware, AWS, etc.
- A DevOps Engineer should also have good understanding of Cloud security standards and practices, familiarity with SQL queries and any relational database systems, and capability in automation and testing software suites such as Selenium or JUnit. Employers also seek individuals with understanding of agile and other development processes, hands-on experience with configuration and use of DevOps tools, software process automation with popular scripting languages, and good experience in terms of build, release, and configuration management in a CI/CD environment
- Having the ability to work with containerization platforms such as Kubernetes, PKS, Docker; cloud provisioning software, including Ansible, Chef, Cloud Formation Templates; and application performance analysis and monitoring (e.g. ELK or SPLUNK) is a plus to the DevOps Engineer
- Communication skills: it is essential that the DevOps Engineer has strong written communications skills necessary for writing a clear and concise documentation. It is also vital that they have verbal communication skills to relate with team members, clients, and others in a workplace
- Teamwork ability: DevOps Engineers are required to work with development teams, so it is vital that they can work in and lead teams, define and execute incident response plans, and communicate and present to projects to the relevant team
- Flexibility: The world of IT is rapidly changing, so it is important that applicants for this job can work in an ambiguous and dynamic environment.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the DevOps Engineer position, you can create a detailed description of the role by applying the sample job description above.
You need to make a comprehensive description of the available DevOps Engineer role in your organization to inform prospective candidates of the duties of the job that they will be expected to perform if hired.
And this will help you attract the best people who can effectively perform the duties of the DevOps Engineer role in your organization.
This article is also helpful to individuals who are interested in the DevOps Engineer career to increase their knowledge of what they do.