Help Desk Team Leader Job Description Example
A help desk team leader is a person who super-sees the activities of all help desk members to ensure that they deliver excellent customer service, and provide customer guidance.
He/she makes it a priority to meet all customer expectations and keeps track of all performance indexes which include incoming calls, outgoing calls, and open aged calls.
As a leader, he/she is responsible for creating and implementing support to all customers’ queries, assesses team performance, and redefines customer services with the support of management.
In order to ensure the general growth of the organization, the job description of the leader of the help desk team includes collaborating with the business manager(s) to brainstorm on ideas and strategies to enhance good customer experience in the organization.
As an expert in the field, his/her role also includes initiating strategies through which he/she can obtain customer feedback on service delivery, to rate customer perception about the organization in order to determine their strengths and weaknesses, and further strengthen loose ends for better service delivery.
It’s the responsibility of the team leader to provide a detailed and comprehensive technical support to customers.
He/she reports all activities and observations to the service desk manager and assists in finding resolutions to all outstanding issues.
Being more experienced, help desk team leaders bring forth their expertise to the table to mentor and groom junior members in the help desk team.
They teach them the rudiments of the job, assign tasks to them and evaluate their performance to determine their level of learning.
Job Description Example for the Help Desk Team Leader Position
The duties, tasks, and responsibilities, which make up the job description of most team leaders in the help desk department are shown in the job description example below:
- Give specific directions to the customer desk team members to enable them meet specific customer needs
- Create and manage both intra and inter team work processes that will boost the level of productivity, enhance excellence in communication and monitor the level of service delivery in order to determine areas of lapses
- Administer effective frontline line desk assistance to customers where inquiries are beyond the knowledge of the help desk team members
- Implement a central problem management route for information management users to handle queries and complaints
- Showcase level of expertise by providing satisfactory explanations and solution to customer questions and issues to gain their confidence
- Take measures of crisis management to control all effects that may arise from customer problems and complaints to avoid escalation
- Organize training and/or make arrangements for team member to receive training on the latest and best practices in handling help desk related issues
- Keep clean records of all activities in the help desk department and present them to management upon request for evaluation
- Create good working relationship amongst members of the help desk team to ensure smooth flow of work, which improves overall performance
- Develop several strategies to tackle issues to have a backup plan where a particular strategy might not be effective.
The above sample job description for the leader of the help desk team can also be used in making a resume for the post.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Help Desk Team Leader Position
The skills, knowledge, and abilities usually required from applicants vying for the post of the team leader of the help desk department by employers include the following:
- Be knowledgeable about word processing applications like Microsoft word and excel
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Good knowledge of customer relations and management
- Ability to pay attention to time management, as well as possessing analytical skills
- Ability to showcase good leadership skills to carry team members along.