Guest Room Attendant Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Guest Room Attendant Do?
Guest room attendants are responsible for ensuring that guests have a clean, well stocked, comfortable environment to spend their time during vacations or business travel. They thoroughly clean guestrooms according to specified standards, and ensure overall guest satisfaction.
They work in hotels, resorts, lodges, etc.
Their job description entails completing all pre-cleaning duties, including but not limited to guest supplies, cleaning supplies, and linen for housekeeping cart set-up.
It also involves restocking housekeeping cleaning cart for next day’s use, and replenishing chemical bottles.
Guest room attendants are responsible for ensuring a comfortable and clean environment by removing all trash and dirty linen from guestrooms and hallways.
They also ensure that all hallways, public areas and closets, and banquet facilities are clean, neat and vacuumed.
They manage incidentals such as replacing light bulbs, remote control batteries and stationeries, and ensuring brochures and room service menus are clean and orderly.
Their role also entails reporting any maintenance repairs to the housekeeping supervisor/manager in a timely manner.
The guest room attendant work description also entails rendering customer support duties, including handling guest requests quickly and efficiently, and relating with clients in an attentive and courteous manner.
It also involves ensuring the security of guest rooms and their contents; reporting all missing items from room (i.e., irons/boards, hair dryers, etc.) to the housekeeping supervisor/manager and handling of “lost and found” items according to hotel standards.
To work as a guest room attendant, you require a High School Diploma or equivalent. You also require some job related skills to be successful on the job.
You also need to be detail oriented; have the ability to multi task; have physical dexterity; and solid customer service skills.
Guest Room Attendant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Guest room attendants are primarily responsible for cleaning of guest rooms in accordance with company and departmental standards.
They perform various functions to deliver an excellent relaxation experience to guests.
The major tasks, duties, and responsibilities typically performed by guest room attendants are listed in the job description example below:
- Provides overall cleaning of the guestrooms undertaking activities, including, but not limited to: dusting, making beds, soiled linen removal from rooms, retrieval of clean linen from linen closets, vacuuming, bathroom cleaning, inside window cleaning, etc.
- Responsible for replenishing room amenities such as tissues, soaps, etc.
- Completes requisite departmental paperwork, and accurately records and updates room status in allocated section
- Signs master keys in and out daily
- Ensures equipment are maintained and in proper state of cleanliness and repairs
- Responsible for maintaining a section room report
- Takes on daily tasks as assigned by superior company personnel
- Reports guest complaints to superior in a prompt and timely manner
- Reports all unusual behavior/activities on floors to supervisor/manager
- Adheres to hotel or resort’s health, safety, and hygiene policy
- Adheres to the hotel or resort’s personal grooming and hygiene standards
- Required to attend all relevant meetings and training sessions
- Creates and maintains floral arrangements
- Undertakes all required valet services, including delivery of linen or processing of laundry orders
- Operates and maneuvers powered mobile carts.
Guest Room Attendant Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for a Successful Career
To be hired for the position of guest room attendant, you will be expected to possess certain skills, knowledge, abilities, experience, etc. to be able to give excellent performance on the objectives, purpose, and obligations of the role.
Highlighted below are major requirements most employers or recruiters will expect applicants for the role of guest room attendants to have to succeed on the job:
- Education: To work as a guest room attendant requires a minimum of High School Diploma/ GED, or vocational training
- Experience: 1 year experience in a hotel or related field is usually required. Also, prior experience in janitorial or housekeeping services can be an asset
- Language skills: Room attendants must be able to communicate fluently in English, both verbally and in writing
- Physical dexterity: The job of a guestroom attendant could be physically demanding depending on the size of the hotel or resort they work for. Their job description requires them to be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects in executing their job duties. They should posses the physical dexterity to stand during the entire shift
- Customer service skills: Guest room attendants are expected to deliver exception customer service experience to guests by being attentive and rendering an attentive, friendly, courteous, and service oriented manner
- Knowledge: It is beneficial that they are Knowledgeable in the proper use of chemicals used in cleaning guest rooms, and are also able to operate power tools and equipment necessary for efficient service delivery
- Flexibility: Room attendants must be able to work a flexible schedule because their services may be required during weekends, evenings, and holidays.
This article is helpful to recruiters or employers who are hiring for the post of guest room attendant in their company, to be able to make good description of the position for applicants to be well guided.
By applying the sample job description, as well as the general information about the duties and responsibilities of a guest room attendant provided in this article, employers will be able to make the perfect work description that can attract the best people for the job to their organizations.
Also, individuals looking to start a career as a guest room attendant will find this post useful in learning about the duties of the role and the requirements they need to meet to gain employment and achieve success on the job.
Did this post improve your knowledge of what guest room attendants do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You can also share your job description if you cater to guests as a room attendant in a hotel, resort facility, etc.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.