This article explores the FedEx package handler job description. We learn what a FedEx package handler does; including their main tasks, duties, and responsibilities.
It also provides information on the requirements you need to meet to be hired as a package handler with FedEx or other similar companies, as well as the salary expectation for the role:
What Does a FedEx Package Handler Do?
The FedEx package handler job description involves sorting items for delivery, operating heavy gear such as forklifts, vehicles, and hydraulic conveyor belts, and occasionally picking up and delivering parcels.
A package handler from FedEx provides customer service by answering questions about packages and providing information about FedEx’s products and services.
The package handler is to sort packages into appropriate bins for delivery. This includes loading and unloading packages onto vehicles and using hand operated equipment to move packages around.
They may be required to operate forklifts or other heavy machinery to load and unload packages.
The FedEx package handler duties also involve picking up and delivering packages at customers’ homes or businesses.
He/she may have to work overtime hours if there is an unusually high volume of packages to be shipped.
A FedEx package handling jobs can involve working with hazardous materials.
The package handler checks that all packages meet proper weight limits before they are loaded onto a vehicle.
He/she must maintain accurate records of packages handled so that they can be tracked throughout the shipment process.
They receive special assignments involving unusual packages and may be required to use power tools.
A FedEx package handler occasionally assists in transporting packages and may be instructed to drive a vehicle.
He/she may occasionally be required to lift packages weighing more than 100 pounds.
FedEx Package Handler Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the job description of a FedEx package handler include:
- Loading and unloading packages onto and off of vehicles
- Using computers to track packages
- Monitoring packages while they are being transported
- Making sure that packages are properly labelled
- Checking that packages arrive safely at their destination
- Providing customer service
- Handling packages when they are damaged or lost
- Working with hazardous materials
- Operating heavy machinery
- Picking up and delivering packages
- Perform other duties as assigned.
FedEx Package Handler Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume/CV, it will be helpful to make a powerful Professional Experience section.
So, if you have worked previously in the role of a package handler at FedEx or are presently working in that position, you can highlight that experience in your resume by applying the sample FedEx package handler job description above.
With a Resume/CV that shows that you have been successful as a package handler with FedEx, you will stand a better chance of being called up for an interview, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires having some package handler work experience.
FedEx Package Handler Requirements: Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a package handler with FedEx or other similar companies, here are some of the important requirements you may be expected to meet:
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more without assistance
- Two years of work experience in a warehouse
- Must be willing to work overtime and on weekends when required to do so by manager or supervisor
- Should be able to read and understand instructions and manuals
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Understanding of the law and regulations governing the transportation industry
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Good communication skills to effectively relate with customers, supervisors, co-workers, and managers
- Excellent physical stamina to be able to lift, push, pull, carry, and move packages weighing up to 70 pounds
- Good manual dexterity to effectively use hands to lift, push, pull, carry, and move packages
- Strong vision to effectively read labels, look inside boxes, and see how many items are in each box
- Excellent hearing to be able to listen closely to instructions from customers, supervisors, or co-workers effectively
- Good balance to be able to stand on one foot most of the time while operating a motorized vehicle or performing other tasks
- Strong ability to concentrate and focus intently on what is being done
- Good judgment to make correct decisions about how to complete certain tasks
- Strong memory to remember where things like keys, tools, and paperwork are kept
- Good math skills to effectively calculate weights, dimensions, and volumes of packages
- Great typing skills to type information into a computer
- Good problem solving skills.
FedEx Package Handler Salary
A FedEx package handler’s salary depends on several factors, including the size of the company where he/she works and the number of years of experience.
A FedEx package handler’s salary ranges from $15 to $25 per hour, depending on location and experience.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the package handler career with FedEx or other companies; they will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities of a package handler.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers needing to hire competent persons for the package handler role in their companies.
They can make a detailed description of the position for use in their recruitment process by applying the sample FedEx package handler job description provided in this post.