This post presents complete information on the job description of a facilities maintenance technician, to boost your knowledge of the tasks, duties, and responsibilities they perform.
What Does a Facilities Maintenance Technician Do?
The facilities maintenance technician carries out skilled technical duties involving repair, maintenance, replacement, installation of heating, air-conditioning and distribution systems.
The facilities maintenance technician job description includes fixing, repairing and performing troubleshooting on all boilers, heat pumps, air-conditioning, chillers and refrigeration units.
He/she carries out minimal maintenance activities to an appreciably complicated level in the area of electrical and mechanical system safety.
The individual for this position under the direction and leadership of the facilities maintenance organization will work towards attaining maintenance goals and company objectives.
The role of facilities maintenance technicians also entails scheduling, planning and carrying out preventive and corrective maintenance job duties on electrical or mechanical system and appliances under the recommendations of the facilities organization.
His/her job will entail troubleshooting and overseeing abnormalities to aid smooth operations in a timely manner.
A prospective candidate for this post will take part in root cause evaluation of electrical mechanical equipments and then perform corrective action for progressive improvements.
This will involve modification and installation work on existing and new mechanical units.
The maintenance technician for a facility will also contract service providers, supervise, coordinate and sponsor contractors to carry out work activities in relation to service terms of agreement and procedures.
It may be obligatory for an individual vying for this position to carry out diverse conventional tasks as well as highly skilled mechanical activities such as plumbing, electrical, HVAC and welding.
He/she will also need to basically engage in trade work in specific areas or in specialized skills involving multiple trades.
Multiple tasks in this sense may include repair, maintenance, alteration, installation, fabrication, construction and creation of facility units which require utilization of skills in problem solving, teamwork, communication, giving attention to detail and abiding by safety guidelines.
Facilities Maintenance Technician Job Description Sample/Example/Template
In order to carry out the job of a facilities maintenance technician profitably, the prospective applicant must be willing and able to carry out each of the following paramount duties, tasks, and responsibilities satisfactorily contained in their job description as shown in the sample below.
- Carries out scheduled maintenance examinations and fixes, cleans and align diverse systems to guarantee appropriate system operations
- Arranges repairs on electronic and wiring components affiliated with programmed building management operations
- Changes faulty motors, compressors, coil units, expansion valves and other constituent parts
- Engages in cleaning components from hermetic burnouts, clears out and charges systems
- Performs troubleshooting and repairs pneumatic control and direct digital systems
- Inspects distribution components for suitable volume, pressure, temperature and velocity
- Ensures a balance of water and air treatment systems
- Identifies source of condensation problems and correct them
- Manages reports and records as well as explain the actions and procedures carried out with the suggested solutions.
Facilities Maintenance Technician Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
The requirements highlighted here are some of the knowledge, skills and qualifications required to be a successful maintenance technician for a facility.
- A degree in general education or at least a high school diploma with 4-5 years progressive experience performing tasks with intricate HVAC systems and utilizing equipment like package units, pneumatic and automated control systems, chillers, boilers and VAV systems
- Mastery of interpretation of documents involving maintenance instructions, sketches, plans blueprints, procedure manual and safety rules
- Excellent speaking dexterity in the presence of employees or group of clients
- Efficient expertise in writing messages and reports
- Outstanding application of common sense intelligence to perform instructions
- Outstanding skills in resolving issues related to diverse general variables in regulated conditions.