IT Operations Analyst Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post will help you understand the job description of an IT operations analyst if you are looking to learn the duties, tasks, and responsibilities usually assigned to the role.
And if you are applying for the IT operations analyst job, this post will also shown you the qualities, experience, and education you need to have to qualify to access the position with most organizations.
Please, continue reading:
What Does an IT Operations Analyst Do?
The IT operations analyst often specializes by platform or application, and is responsible for performing all operational processes and procedures, ensuring that all IT services and infrastructure meet operational goals.
The IT operations analyst job description entails delivering support systems required for undertaking the day to day IT Operations of core business applications.
They ensure IT services provided align with the needs of the business and that ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) practices are followed diligently by all IT operation teams.
They carry out analysis on the firms IT systems to identify areas for improvement; and then develop business processes and functional/technical requirement which enables them drive definition to requirements, optimization, nonstop improvement, and appropriate changes to new and current business processes and IT solutions.
The IT operations analyst work description also entails designing, developing and distributing reusable technical components to streamline development delivery processes.
They may also be required to supervise the development, integration, testing, and maintenance of existing and enhancements of proprietary platform applications.
They are responsible for troubleshooting the company’s IT system to determine the cause of failure.
They also troubleshoot software and hardware failures and identify network problems on end-users computers.
The IT operations analyst role also involves replacing hardware, such as a computer router or cable, or running software to remove viruses from the system.
In addition to troubleshooting to identify system failures, IT operations analyst also perform installation, repair, and preventative maintenance of personal computer and related systems, as well as provide support in determining suitable software to meet user requirements.
They also provide responsive and quality customer service to internal and external customers; respond to, evaluate, and prioritize incoming requests for support from colleagues/end users’ experiencing hitch with computer hardware, software, and other computer-related technologies.
IT Operations Analyst Job Description Example/Sample/Template
IT operations analysts perform various functions, including providing support needed for effective and efficient day-to-day IT operations of core business applications.
They provide first line technical support for end-users’ computer hardware and software, and printers and their network connectivity. The task they handle may vary depending on the organizations that hire them.
The major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly constitute the IT operations analyst job description are listed below:
- Analyze and provide solution to low complexity and routine computer issues
- Work together with vendors to aid repairs of hardware, i.e. printers, laptops, and desktops
- Responsible for the definition, design, implementation, and maintenance of support infrastructure for application solutions
- Oversee the Incident, Problem, and Change management processes
- Identify incident trends; recommend and implement improvements to reduce volume
- Prepare SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) for the daily maintenance of applications and underlying systems
- Keep Ops team up-to-date with new implementations and technologies
- Establish clear communication channels for feedback from customers, peers, and cross functional teams
- Identify new solutions for improved processes, as well as develop cost/benefit analysis for business solutions
- Make certain that technology solutions adhere to quality standards
- Collaborate with the project teams to review or inspect work to guarantee their quality.
IT Operations Analyst Job Description for Resume
You can apply the sample IT operations analyst job description provided above in making your resume if you need to send one to a recruiter.
The IT operations analyst duties and responsibilities highlighted in the sample job description can be used in completing the professional experience section of the resume and effectively informing the recruiter that you perfectly understand what the role entails and can perform it excellently.
IT Operations Analyst Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as an IT operations analyst, you must know that recruiters commonly give a list of requirements applicants must fulfill for their applications to be accepted.
These are qualities, qualifications, experience, and educational qualifications which applicants must meet to be able to excellently carry out the obligations, purpose, and objectives that define the IT operations analyst job at the hiring organization.
Shown below are major requirements for the IT operations analyst position at most organizations:
- Education: Applicants for the IT operations analyst position are expected to possess a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or in a related field
- Knowledge: They should have good understanding of systems architectural concepts and methodologies; infrastructure platforms and their application; business processes, process analysis/management, and IT requirements and IT managed services. It is also important that they can manage Critical Incident and Change Management SLA’s with Service Provider, and can also manage and implement process improvements in NOC/SOC (network/security operation center)
- It is also essential that they have knowledge of networking; can write Technical Specs and provide Level1 application Support (Client/Server)
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving skills: They must have the required technical skills to identify system problems, as well as seek out ways to improve processes
- Communication skills: They require both oral and written communication skills to facilitate knowledge sharing among teams, especially in cases where new technologies have been implemented, and to relate with customers in a professional manner
- Quick Learner: The IT field changes rapidly, so it is vital that applicants for the IT operations analyst role are life-long learners able to adapt new technologies necessary for improved processes
- Team work abilities: They must be able to work and contribute in a team oriented environment
- Interpersonal skill: The IT operations analyst job requires working with vendors, internal, and external customers; so it is important that applicants for the role have the ability to influence operations teams, and establish rapport to work effectively with the above mentioned groups of people
- Computer skills: Applicants should have solid knowledge of PC and Mac computers, mobile devices, and Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook). The IT operations analyst job involves identifying trends and improving processes, so it is also essential that applicants have experience using statistical packages (Excel, SPSS, SAS, etc.) for analyzing large datasets; proficient SQL knowledge, strong technical expertise regarding data models, and database design development, as well as data mining and segmentation techniques
- Strong organizational skills: IT operations analysts deal with multiple stakeholders, including vendors, internal customers, end users, and management, so they must be able to plan and schedule tasks, as well as prioritize requests for support from customers
- Analytical skills: To perform their job successfully if hired, applicants must also possess advanced analytical skills, with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information, with attention to detail and accuracy.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to make a description for the IT operations analyst role in your organization for use in hiring for the position, you can apply the sample job description given above in creating one.
Posting a detailed description of the IT operations analyst job will help to effectively inform aspiring employees of the duties and responsibilities they will be expected to perform if hired.
This will enable them to decide by themselves if they have the required competence for the job before applying; and that means your chances of having only qualified individuals applying for the job is higher.
This post is equally helpful to individuals interested in the IT operations analyst career to learn all about the duties and responsibilities of the role.
Did this post help improve your knowledge of what IT operations analysts do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. Do also share your job description if you work as an IT operations analyst.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.