Construction General Worker Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a construction general worker, to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly define the work description of a construction general worker.
It also presents the major requirements most employers/recruiters will want individuals seeking the construction general worker job to meet to be hired.
Please, continue reading to learn more about the construction general worker career:
What Does a Construction General Worker Do?
A construction general worker is responsible for carrying out a wide range of activities at construction sites.
Their job description entails preparing the construction area, gathering and delivering materials, utilizing machines and tools, erecting temporary structures such as scaffolds, providing assistance to specialized workers, and cleaning up the construction site when the job is ready.
In other words, a construction general worker refers to one whose duty is to take up a variety of supporting tasks on construction sites.
He/she executes important functions in construction projects such as highways, buildings, or other structures, as well as transporting materials and equipment.
One of the core tasks of a construction general worker is to handle the maintenance of the work site by ensuring that the construction site is kept clean and tidy by taking out debris and trash.
He/she must ensure that the construction area is following necessary and relevant health and safety regulations and also ensure that harmful tools are kept out of the way to avoid accidents.
Construction general workers may also be required to assist with demolition which involves providing assistance with demolition on the construction site and taking out debris after the demolition has taken place.
They must also assist with machine maintenance by repairing and maintaining machinery and equipment that are used on the construction site to keep it working at all times.
A construction general worker also must operate a variety of machines and equipment that are used for construction processes such as torches and jackhammers, as well as helping to transport explosives applying hydraulic machines; the explosives are used to dig out tunnels.
A construction general worker is also saddled with the responsibility of assisting his/her colleagues in the process of loading and unloading materials and equipment at the construction site, and also ensuring that the appropriate materials are available to be used.
If you are seeking to work in the construction general worker role, some of the qualities and skills you may be expected to have by recruiters/employers include good math skills, excellent teamwork, and interpersonal skills; good mechanical skills, color vision, and physical stamina; physical strength, well-developed verbal and written communication skills, and excellent time management skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, the job role/position of a construction general worker does not typically require formal education; however, an ideal candidate should possess at least a High School Diploma.
Construction General Worker Salary: The average salary for a construction general worker, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics is $36,000 annually.
Construction General Worker Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Construction general workers perform the responsibilities:
- Removing hazardous and/or obsolete materials from worksites
- Working collaboratively and liaising with other professionals that are involved in construction projects, such as carpenters, painters, and/or other tradespeople
- Utilizing power tools and machinery such as forklifts and torches when required
- Assisting with the loading and unloading of materials to be used in construction processes
- Performing preparatory duties to start construction projects, such as backfilling holes, digging trenches, and compacting earth
- Assisting with the building and demolishing of bracing, scaffolding, and temporary structures
- Working in strict compliance with plans and instructions from supervisors or more experienced workers
- Overseeing the operating and maintenance of equipment and machines used in construction.
Construction General Worker Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume or CV as someone who has worked before or are presently working in the position of a construction general worker, you should include the professional experience section in the resume/CV.
With the professional or work experience part of your resume/CV, you can effectively inform the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the duties and responsibilities of a construction general worker.
This information can increase your chances of getting an interview with the recruiter/employer, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires having some work experience as a construction general worker to be effective in it.
You can make a detailed and compelling professional experience section for your resume/CV by applying the construction general worker job description example provided above.
Construction General Worker Requirements – Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills for Career Success
If you are seeking the construction general worker role, here are major requirements most recruiters/employers may want you to satisfy to be hired:
- Color vision, since a construction general worker may be required to distinguish different colors of wire to help the lead electrician
- Good math skills, since a construction general worker must be able to perform basic math calculations while measuring on construction sites or assisting a surveying crew
- Strong mechanical skills, since he/she may be frequently required to operate and maintain equipment, such as jackhammers
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills that enable him/her to work cooperatively and effectively with other construction workers and laborers
- Physical stamina, since a construction general worker must possess the endurance to carry out strenuous tasks throughout the day
- Several years of professional and proven-work experience
- At least a High School Diploma, though formal education is not necessarily required.
This post is valuable to individuals interested in becoming a construction general worker.
They will be able to increase their knowledge of the duties and responsibilities typically performed by construction general workers.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers looking to find and hire capable individuals for the construction general worker role in their companies.
They can apply the sample construction general worker job description above in making a detailed description for the vacant position in their organizations.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.