Civil Engineering Technician Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Civil Engineering Technician Do?
Civil engineering technicians are skilled personnel who help civil engineers not just in the process of planning, designing, and execution of projects such as houses, bridges, and hospitals, but also in testing materials to be used for such projects, and in supervising their completion in compliance with the proposed design.
The civil engineering job description primarily entails providing technical support to engineers, including structural, civil, and water resource engineers to ensure that projects meet expected standards.
The major difference between a civil engineering technician and a civil engineer is the license of the latter, which the former does not have. Without this license, a civil engineering technician cannot singlehandedly supervise a project nor be the approving authority for a design.
Other duties that commonly make up the work description of civil engineering technicians include monitoring process materials and supervising sites involved in the engineering activity so as to ensure compliance with standards, as well as specifications.
Their role also includes ensuring strict and diligent compliance with proposed budge, meeting clients in order to understand their requirements, and helping them to see how practicable their requirements are when faced with the reality of the proposed project site.
Reading and understanding plans for a proposed project in order to replicate it on the project site, as well as going to project sites to monitor work progress are also part of the responsibilities of civil engineering technicians.
Civil Engineering Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The duties and responsibilities of a civil engineering technician cut across a number of activities. Some of the functions are different from organization to organization due to differences in policies or organizational structure.
But generally, the tasks, duties, and responsibilities that majorly make up the job description of civil engineering technicians are highlighted below:
- Testing materials that will be used in constructions in materials laboratory
- Meet with government officials to ensure that proposed construction(s) meet with minimum requirements
- Supervise projects in order to ensure compliance with plan
- Prepare budgets for proposed project(s)
- Report to civil engineers on the progress of a project
- Survey a project site in order to be sure of the site’s capacity to house the project
- Ensuring that best materials are purchased at the best prices
- Preparing timelines for the supply of materials, human resource, etc needed for a project
- Collaborating with the supervising civil engineer(s) to consider and decide to what extent plan(s) may be deviated from
- Reporting challenges encountered in replicating plans on site to supervising civil engineers
- Perform other duties as may be required by accredited civil engineers.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For Civil Engineering Technician Role
The following are major requirements and qualifications you may be expected to meet to be considered for the position of civil engineering technician in most companies:
- A minimum qualification in engineering/civil construction from a technical school
- Experience as a drafter may come in handy as a supplement to a qualification or an alternative to a qualification from a technical school
- The ability to work effectively under pressure
- The ability to solve problems
- The ability to follow minimum safety requirements
- A good grasp of mathematics, as well as the sciences, such as calculus, geometry, chemistry is needed in order to correctly design and replicate their project
- A good listening skill
- Problem-solving skill
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, in writing, and via electronic mediums
- Ability to read and understand written instructions, which can be in the form of graphical plan of a proposed utility project i.e. a profile, mathematical calculations, or words
- Ability to provide detailed yet concise written report
- An appropriate certification from government approving body
- Proficiency in software such as AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Word is important
- Ability to take note of fine details and not to leave any stone unturned
- Strong ability to work with others
- Conflict resolution skill, especially when conflicts arise among construction workers.
For most companies, the minimum requirement for this position is a college degree in civil engineering or construction related discipline. Working experience is often more valuable in this field than education, especially if you are considering an advancement in the field.
So, if you are an applicant qualified for this position or interested in a career in this field, you will find this post to be very useful as it highlights the skills, and qualifications necessary to get the job and excel in the field.
Also, If you are a hiring manager tasked with the duty to recruit a competent individual for the civil engineering technician position, then, you can use the sample job description provided in this post as a template in writing a perfect description of the job in your company.
Did this post help you learn about what civil engineering technicians do? Please, share what you think about this article in the comment box below. And if you work as a civil engineering technician, do also share what your job description entails.