Civil Engineering Supervisor Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a civil engineering supervisor to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that majorly make up the civil engineering supervisor work description in most organizations.
It also presents the major requirements most recruiters/employers will want you to meet to be hired for the civil engineering supervisor position.
Please, read on to learn more of the civil engineering supervisor career:
What Does a Civil Engineering Supervisor Do?
A civil engineering supervisor is responsible for supervising and coordinating construction activities at a construction site and ensuring that construction projects are carried out on time and within budget in a safe and quality-oriented manner.
The civil engineering supervisor job description entails supervising construction project and ensuring that all activities are carried out in strict adherence to all regulations.
In other words, a civil engineering supervisor refers to an individual whose duty is to oversee and manage a team of civil engineers and other relevant contractors and subcontractors who design and develop construction projects such as airports, bridges, channels, dams, railroads, and highways.
In essence, he/she is responsible for monitoring ongoing construction projects to make sure that work is properly executed within deadlines by planning and organizing tasks while also coordinating a team of civil engineers and/or contractors.
Civil engineering supervisors are required to carry out a wide range of crucial tasks in their daily activities.
These include providing effective supervision to all ongoing construction activities by being familiar with all areas of the project, such as structural drawings, blueprints, and deadlines.
The supervisor must ensure that all parties involved in a project execute their various assigned tasks as they are supposed to, and also examine and/or inspect work completed and ongoing works periodically.
A civil engineering supervisor is also expected to identify and solve any problem that may arise during the construction process.
For example, if an ongoing construction project affects the activity of the general public, the civil works supervisor is required to figure out solutions or adjustments, such as rerouting traffic.
He or she must ensure that tensions and disruptions are minimized by effectively and efficiently handling situations.
On all construction sites, safety must be a priority, which implies that the supervisor must make sure that all activities being performed follow governmental regulations, address environmental issues, and strictly comply with local codes.
It is also important that a civil engineering supervisor builds and maintains healthy relationships with vendors, contractors, and subcontractors, while also acting as a liaison between groups that are involved in the construction project.
If you are interested in becoming a civil engineering supervisor, you will be expected to have certain skills and qualities that ensure effective and efficient performance of the role.
These include excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and good interpersonal skills; strong analytical and problem-solving skills, excellent leadership and teamwork skills, and adequate knowledge of construction safety rules and guidelines; good project management and organizational skills, technical expertise, and excellent time management skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, individuals interested in the civil engineering supervisor career are required to possess a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or in a relevant field, as well as a professional engineering license.
Most employers also prefer candidates who have acquired several years of work experience as a civil engineering supervisor or in a related field.
civil engineering supervisor Salary: The average salary of a civil engineering supervisor is $97,348 annually.
Civil Engineering Supervisor Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Shown below are the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly define the civil engineering supervisor job description:
- Acting as the key person and/or point of contact for all activities on the construction site, and overseeing daily operations
- Monitoring and updating calculations, designs, and tolerances
- Overseeing and coordinating the ordering and delivery of materials and equipment to endure efficiency
- Examining and analyzing products, activities, designs, and works-in-progress before approval
- Leading and working cooperatively with a team of engineers to implement plans and liaise with contractors
- Enforcing all safety regulations on the construction site to ensure that all activities are disseminated safely
- Gathering and submitting reports to management and/or higher-level managers
- Breaking down the costs for each element to ensure that project remains within budget.
Civil Engineering Supervisor Job Description for Resume
If you are making a resume or CV for a new job and have had some experience working as a civil engineering supervisor, you need to show such experience in your resume by adding the work or professional experience section to it.
With the professional experience section of your resume or CV, you can show to the recruiter/employer that you have been effective performing the role of a civil engineering supervisor.
This piece of information in your resume or CV can determine if you get invited to an interview by the recruiter/employer, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires some work experience as a supervisor in a civil engineering project.
You can apply the civil engineering supervisor job description example above in creating a compelling professional or work experience section for your resume or CV.
Civil Engineering Supervisor Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are applying for a civil engineering supervisor job, here are major requirements employers/recruiters may want you to meet:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, since a civil engineering supervisor will be required to write and submit reports, proposals, and also communicate with clients, contractors, and subcontractors
- Attention to detail, as this will enable a civil engineering supervisor to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills, since he or she will be required to lead a team of civil engineers, contractors, and subcontractors, and also work alongside them
- Excellent multitasking skills, as this will enable a civil engineering supervisor to supervise several teams and activities at the same time
- Good organizational and project management skills, since a civil engineering supervisor must ensure that construction projects are carried out efficiently within budget and time constraints
- Several years of work experience in a relevant position/industry.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or in a relevant discipline, and a professional engineering license.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the civil engineering supervisor career; they will be able to learn all about the duties and responsibilities of the role and so will be able to decide if that’s the career they want to pursue.
It is also useful to employers/recruiters needing to hire for a vacant civil engineering supervisor position in their companies.
They will be able to make a detailed description of the available civil engineering supervisor role and attract the best candidates for the job.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.