Chief Executive Officer Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Chief Executive Officer Do?
A chief executive officer (usually referred to as ceo), is the top-most executive manager in terms of rank within a company, firm, or corporation with the responsibility to ensure overall success of the organization.
His/her job description entails planning, formulating, and carrying out different strategies that can lead to the growth and development of a company.
These responsibilities tend to cover all areas of the company’s business and involve all departments within the company.
When it comes to decision making, it is the ceo that has the highest authority to decide on issues that have to do with the company.
The role of a chief executive officer varies and is usually tailored to the specific needs of the organization at different times.
He/she makes decisions that are in line with the framework that was set out by the company, decisions based on the company’s budget and projects to be carried out.
The chief executive officer makes sure that the company’s top management team is always in-the-know concerning issues like opportunities for growth and expansion, new trends and/or developments within the industry that the company operates, and new target markets or customers.
He/she usually reports back to the company’s board of directors. In some cases also, the ceo may be the owner of the company (and the board of directors normally play an advisory role here) or may own a sizeable part of the company.
He/she may also be a member of the board of directors and delegated or appointed by the board to have complete administrative authority of the organization.
Within this delegated authority, the chief executive officer is in charge of all units and departments in the company.
The work description of the ceo entails leading the company’s top executive team, which normally includes the chief financial officer, chief operations officer, and the chief technology officer.
He/she also takes part in the process of the company’s financial management. The signing and approval of all financial statements and financial reports are normally done by the ceo.
He/she most times is also in charge of communications, like speaking to the press on behalf of the company, and also serving as the communication link between the company’s top management and its employees.
CEO Job Description Example/Template
The chief executive officer of a company performs various functions in ensuring its success.
The typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities that make the ceo position very crucial to the success of an organization are shown in the job description example below:
- Hold the staff of the company responsible for the execution of their various duties
- Provide leadership and vision for the company and make sure that the vision succeeds
- Evaluate company success in terms of achieving and/or attaining set goals
- Oversee the general operation of the company to make sure that it aligns with already established strategies and plans
- Formulate and execute plans that will guide the company and also serve as a check on activities that are carried out within the company
- Request for advice from the board of directors whenever it is needed and appropriate
- Make the best investment decisions that can lead to the growth and development of the company
- Ensure adherence to company guidelines and rules in a bid to maintain its ethics and regulatory structure
- Review reports so as to find solutions and create room for improvement
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the industry in which the company operates
- Motivating junior staff within the firm so as to develop good managerial team that performs well.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Chief Executive Officer Job
Here are common requirements and qualifications you need to know if you are seeking the job of a ceo in a company:
- Good communication (especially in public speaking) and interpersonal skills
- Good leadership traits
- Must be willing and able to work as part of a team or in most cases lead a team
- Must be able to pay keen attention to details
- Good problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to coordinate the affairs and operations of a company
- Good understanding of business functions like finance, management, public relations, and marketing
- Ability to motivate other members of staff to enhance company productivity
- Minimum of MBA or MSc and any other relevant certification in the field of management and/or finance
- At least 5-10 years work experience in a managerial or executive capacity with good knowledge of advanced business and management techniques.
If you are recruiting for the role of chief executive officer in your organization, this post provides a sample job description and the right information you need to make a good description for the position in your company.
With a detailed work description, which you can conveniently make by applying the content of this post, you can enhance your chances of getting the best person for the job.
And if you are looking to become a ceo, you will also find this article helpful in learning about the duties and responsibilities of the job so you can better be prepared for it.
Did this article help in increasing your knowledge of what chief executive officers do? Please, leave a quick comment in the box below of what you think about this post. And if you work as a ceo, you may also share your job description.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.