Case Manager Job Description Example
What Does a Case Manager Do?
Case managers are health care specialists who play an important role in evaluating and managing patients’ welfare.
Their job description entails assisting patients or helpless individuals in accessing social services, creating treatment plans, and monitoring progress of recovery.
Case managers review clients’ application and records to ascertain their medical history and issue.
They usually meet clients one-on-one or during group sessions to discuss client problems.
They determine client requirements by conducting interviews to identify need for psychological, medical or psychiatric intervention.
Case managers often work in the company of social workers or psychologists. They help patients develop flexible treatment plans, which support home treatment or provide escort/transportation services.
They also maintain record of clients’ response to medication as well as overall progress of treatment.
As part of their responsibilities, case managers explain to patients the nature of their condition and proffer recommendations on ways to ensure quick recovery.
They assist patients in conducting coverage negotiations with a health insurer in order to channel insurance coverage to crucial areas.
They also collaborate with health care provider or physician to develop and implement action plans necessary for significant improvement in patient health conditions.
In fulfilling their role, case managers may refer clients to appropriate specialists for professional treatment.
They liaise with doctors to implement health care policies and protocols. They also monitor the quality of health care provided to clients to ensure they are up to acceptable standards of quality.
Their work description may also involve conducting investigations to verify cases of patient neglect or abuse.
They can file complaints to appropriate authorities or press charges to initiate legal action.
They also monitor the tests administered to clients to ensure they are appropriate and necessary.
Case managers require a Bachelor’s degree in health related disciplines such as human services, gerontology, psychology, social work, or in other related degrees.
Qualities needed to succeed as a case manager include communication, management, and problem-solving skills.
Case Manager Job Description Example/Template
Given below is an example of a case manager job description; it shows the common duties, tasks, and responsibilities they are usually assigned to carry out in most firms:
- Interview and interact with clients to highlight their needs and develop personalized health care plans
- Act as patient advocates assisting them in taking informed decisions regarding their health status and choice of treatment
- Develop good working relationship with patients’ health care providers during a case management process to ensure effective team work
- Monitor and keep record of patient treatment plan and response of patient to medication
- Conduct negotiations with health insurance brokers on behalf of a client to adjust the coverage of an insurance service
- Monitor the quality of treatment provided to clients to ensure it’s up to acceptable standard
- Proffer advice and recommendations to address patient psychosocial and motivational needs
- Ensure compliance with fundamental case management protocols, policies and procedures
- Assist socially challenged individuals to integrate effectively into the society
- Prepare and present report of case management activities to superiors or to relevant authorities
- Design home treatment plans which allows clients receive medical treatment and health care at home
- Maintain constant communication with clients to obtain feedback and ensure satisfaction with healthcare and case management services
- Coordinate and oversee the discharge of patients by reviewing client conditions to amplify discharge plans
- Attend educational programs, conferences and workshop to improve on existing job knowledge.
Case Manager Resume Preparation
If you are seeking a new case manager job and are making a resume for it, you can use information about the functions of the role shown in the above job description sample to make the work experience part of it.
The work experience section is an important part to include in your resume if you have worked before as a case manager; it enables you to highlight the duties and responsibilities that you performed on the job.
This helps prospective employers to know that you have the right experience to be effective in your new job if hired.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Case Manager Job
Are you seeking the job of a case manager? If yes, then here are the major requirements most employers will expect you to fulfill to access the job:
- Education and Training: To become a case manager, you require a Bachelor’s degree in health related disciplines such as psychology, human services, gerontology, and social work. You are required to obtain state license in order to practice as a certified case manager
- Communication Skills: Case managers are adept at interacting with clients and patients to identify and help resolve their social or health difficulties
- Management Skill: They are able to oversee the treatment plan and recovery process of a client to ensure satisfaction with provided services
- Problem-solving Skill: They are proficient in conducting research to identify and provide effective solutions to client needs.
Case Manager Skills for Resume
Again, if you are writing a resume for the case manager job, you can make use of the above requirements in creating the resume’s skills section.
The skills section is where you show employers the relevant skills and qualities that you are bringing to the job that will enable you to succeed in it.
Using the above information if you have them can improve your resume’s effectiveness as employers will be satisfied to note that you have the qualities they are looking for in the case manager they want to hire.
This post provides in detail the duties and responsibilities of a case manager to increase your knowledge of what they do.
If you are thinking of becoming a case manager, the information about the work they do as given above will help you to know what to expect in the career.
Also, the case manager job description sample given above can be useful to employers in designing effective work description for hiring people for the post and assigning tasks to them.
Did you find the case manager work information given in this post helpful? Please, let’s know what you think about this article by making a comment in the box below. You may also share your job description as a case manager for other people to learn from if you are one.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.