This post provides detailed information on the car valet job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the car valet role.
What Does a Car Valet Do?
Car valets are responsible for cleaning and polishing both the inside and outside of cars and other vehicles, making sure customers’ cars are made sparkly clean.
The valet job description may entail collecting the car from the client and returning it t the close of the day; and taking a van fitted with cleaning equipment to the customer’s car.
It also involves applying cloths for hand polishing and cleaning, in addition to the use of electrical equipment like steam cleaners for cleaning the engine; chassis vacuum cleaners and wheel arches and shampooers for cleaning car interior; and powered water sprays for ensuring a sparkly cleaned outward surface of cars.
The role of a car valet also include applying hand in polishing and waxing the plastic or leather, and chrome trims; as well as the paintwork.
It can take the valet a few hours to do a thorough clean up on cars.
The valet is given a set of instructions to follow for each vehicle he/she is to clean, depending on the services requested by the customer. He/she then performs a set of standard cleaning procedures.
If you work for a car rental or sales firm, your work description as a valet may include carrying out assessment on the state of the cars to work on to determine the amount of cleaning required in line with the company’s standard before starting work on them.
In addition to cars, valets also clean delivery vans, caravans, and other commercial vehicles. To get themselves protected where there is possible risk to health and safety, they have to wear protective gloves, overalls, and goggles.
Car Valet Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Car valets perform various functions in giving customers’ vehicles a great cleaning in line with company standard and customers’ specifications.
Highlighted below are major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly characterize the job descriptions of most car valets:
- Clean wheels, windows, mirror, interior items, and door handles as desired by the client
- Perform shampooing of carpets and upholstery according to customer requirements
- Wax and polish cars as applicable, including T Cut
- Be updated on various gels and products, and other finishes to trims and bumpers
- Carry out steam cleaning service on frame, engine, and wheel arches
- May be responsible for picking up and delivering vehicles to customers
- Learn about various types of vehicles and the best ways to clean them, including how long it will take to get them fully cleaned. For example, it takes a much longer time to clean a car than a wagon
- Carry out checks on daily lists and make sure cars are cleaned according to customers’ specification and company standard and delivered to them
- Check all parts of cars, especially repaired areas to discover if there are defects; report defects if there are to the personnel responsible for repairs
- Perform a fluid and full light check on all vehicles after they have been cleaned before they are released for delivery to the customer
- Prepare, clean, and safely store equipment
- Ensure courtesy cars are cleaned on time and ready for delivery by prioritizing work load
- Ensure high standard for fleet of courtesy cars; complete accurate paperwork and perform checks on vehicles
- Carry out all tasks ensuring that the Health and Safety procedures, as well as regulations, including the BS10125 and Blueprint regulations are maintained
- Provide support to colleagues, and work in a team to ensure customers’ vehicles are cleaned and delivered on time.
Requirements Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Car Valet Role
If you are seeking to work as a car valet, you will need to have certain skills, qualities, experience, etc. for your application to get a favorable response from the majority of employers.
Here are typical qualities you need to have if you are applying for the car valet job to stand a good chance with hirers:
- Possess valid drivers license to be able to pick up clients’ cars from their locations, and to deliver them after they have been cleaned
- Good communication skills to be able to discuss effectively with clients on services, prices, offers, etc. regarding marketing and getting customers to repeat patronage
- Ability to work flexible hours, including in the evenings and weekends
- Self motivated individual with strong ability to work on self initiative, as well as work effectively in a team
- Possess strong stamina and fitness to be able to stand on feet for long
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather
- Strong ability to work with various equipment, some of which are heavy to move around
- Ability to carefully follow instructions and pay attention to details
- Strong customer service skills to relate effectively with clients to make them want to come back
- Possess interest in cars and love seeing them clean
- Strong ability to perform tasks under pressure and meet set deadlines
- Strong ability to adhere to work guidelines and follow established procedures.
If you are an employer needing to hire a car valet, you can apply the job description sample provided in this post to easily make a description of the position in your company to guide interested applicants.
With a good car valet job description, you will be able to increase your chances of attracting the best people for the role to your firm.
Also, if you are seeking to become a car valet, this post will be useful to you. It helps you learn all you need to about the duties and responsibilities of a car valet so you can better prepare for the career.