Banquet Coordinator Job Description, Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities
What Does a Banquet Coordinator Do?
A banquet coordinator is an individual whose line of duty covers the planning, handling, and supervision of food and beverages that are to be consumed at events that are held in places like conference areas, hotels, and/or restaurants.
In some cases, the banquet coordinator’s job description may include promoting/marketing their company’s services to its target audience.
For instance, a company that wants to hold a convention or an end-of-the-year party might crop their choices by having an in-depth discussion with the banquet coordinator from a hotel.
The duty of the banquet coordinator will be to clearly describe the services that each of their venues offers and how the services are to be presented and/or coordinated.
It is also his/her responsibility to give relevant recommendations based on the taste and choices of the client/customer, and also taking into cognizance the budget that has been put in place for the execution of the event.
When it comes to the planning and coordination of food, banquet coordinators are normally in-the-know with regards to the methods of food preparation.
Once a client makes his/her choice in terms of food and drinks, the coordinator does everything possible to make sure that it is well prepared and presented according to the requests of the customer.
In a bid to effectively work in line with the requests of the customer, the coordinator of banquet services must be in constant contact (communication) with the chefs, waiters/waitresses, and those in charge of managing the food and beverages.
His/her work description may also involve recruiting caterers to meet the need of customers on food preparation.
The banquet coordinator makes sure that everything that is needed at the venue of the event is put in place, like having enough tables and chairs for guests. He/she also ensure that there is a clear pathway (easy access) to the serving area.
It is also the responsibility of the coordinator to make sure utensils are in good shape, and that name cards and/or invites are kept in an orderly way.
Banquet coordinators during the course of the event make sure guests do not run short of food and drinks and that all tables within the venue are well-attended to.
It is also part of his/her work description to ensure that health rules are strictly adhered to when it comes to food and beverage distribution/service.
The aim of every banquet coordinator is to ensure that any event he/ she oversees does not have any hitch (runs smoothly) even if they face a complicated situation.
He/she is required to take immediate action to nip any problem that may arise in the course of an event in the bud. That is to say that the coordinator should be able to make difficult decisions so as to avoid unwanted negative surprises.
Banquet Coordinator Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The roles and functions of a banquet coordinator are usually tailored to suit different kinds of events at different times.
Put differently, one can say that the duties and responsibilities of a banquet coordinator in a wedding event is different from his/her tasks in the course of a corporate conference.
It is important to note that there might be similarities in the course of carrying out banquet coordinating duties, but they are never completely the same.
Below are major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that are commonly associated with the banquet coordinator job description in hotels:
- Receive and filter all information from answering general radio dispatching and all office telephone lines to ensure the right information is sent to the appropriate staff; also ensure follow-up
- Ensure all event orders are in the BEO book and prepared for work week and to do the schedule by double checking 10-day with the BEO book
- Make changes to logs and event orders correctly based on email, etc. and effect necessary modifications to staffing, and make sure to accurately transfer all information
- Keep all files current, including reader files, personnel requisitions and employee posters, status changes, vacation, termination paperwork, leave (such as medical leave) open positions, gratuity posting, and purchase order checkbook
- Keep all banquet department memos, reports, and correspondence up to date and current; distribute assignments and log them, including employee and departmental files; perform filing of daily BEOs, resumes, and audit checks
- Perform ordering of special needs for managers and supplies for the department
- Perform data entry and create required templates, documents, and forms
- Keep BEO book safe and organized before going for the meeting; go through the BEO distributions as required daily
- Attend committee meetings on BEO, safety, and resume issues
- Ensure the Director of Banquets calendar is kept safe
- Produce reports such as time saver reports, incident reports, documentation, and other reports on staff as necessary
- Create clients’ requests, including food, wine, beverage, directional and door signage, menus and tents, table numbers, etc.
- Ensure effective coordination of communication with other departments in the company
- Ensure completion of all assigned tasks for the day by checking off the office logbook; assign closing duties to captain
- Maintain sign in/out forms; produce timesaver reports; maintain information of employees, and perform payroll adjustments
- Perform weekly update of Man Hours per cover records
- Take new hires through the department and provide them all relevant information relating to their position, as well as direct them on important department rules and guidelines to adhere to
- Responsible for making daily function orders for banquet manager, director of F&B, captains, supervisors, beverage, and coffee breaks
- Write next day’s functions on a board, including names of all servers.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for the Role of a Banquet Coordinator
If you are applying for the job of a banquet coordinator, you will need to possess certain qualifications, skills, and qualities to be eligible to access the position with most employers.
Here are major requirements you may need to fulfill to be considered for the coordinator of banquet services position by most firms:
- Good and effective communication skills
- Must display good leadership qualities
- Must be a good team player
- Must be proactive and willing to engage in difficult decision-making processes
- Should have good organizational and coordinating abilities
- Excellent problem-solving ability is a must-have quality
- A degree in any hospitality related field
- Relevant work experience in the field of hospitality and/or catering
- Strong ability to file documents and reports, and type 60 WPM
- Possess basic knowledge of computer application, including efficiency with Microsoft Office
- Strong ability to prioritize workload, and experience in Hot schedules.
The sample banquet coordinator job description provided in this post will be useful to employers looking to recruit for the position.
They will be able to create an effective description of the role to show intending applicants what the expected duties and responsibilities for the position are. They will therefore improve their chances of getting the best candidates for the job.
Also, if you are looking to get into the hospitality career and work as a banquet coordinator, this article will be useful to you in increasing your knowledge of what the role entails.
Did you find this post helpful in learning about what banquet coordinators do? Please leave a comment of what you think about this article in the box below. Do also share your job description if you work as a coordinator of banquet services in your company.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.