Car Mechanic Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information of the job description of a car mechanic, to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the car mechanic work description in most organizations.
It also presents the major requirements that you will be expected to meet by recruiters to be qualified for the car mechanic position if you are seeking it.
Please, continue reading to improve your knowledge of the car mechanic career:
What Does a Car Mechanic Do?
A car mechanic is responsible for examining, inspecting, maintaining, or repairing any of a vehicle’s systems, which include the body and the engine, as well as other electrical and computer systems.
A car mechanic performs the function of maintaining and repairing vehicles through several processes, which may include changing the engine oil, examining the tire pressure, checking and ensuring that the brakes work properly.
Other duties that usually form the car mechanic job description include diagnosing mechanical problems, handling and fixing any issues that may arise in vehicles, and updating records, and reporting back to the supervisor or upper management.
In essence, the duties of a car mechanic revolve around maintaining and repairing vehicles, troubleshooting issues and fixing them with the aim of maximizing reliability and functionality.
He/she is also responsible for carrying out several important day-to-day activities, including inspecting vehicle engines and other mechanical components to diagnose issues accurately, fixing them, and changing components that need to be replaced if required.
He or she is expected to inspect a vehicle computer and electronic systems for repair, maintenance, and upgrade.
The car mechanic work description also involves changing and cleaning fluids, diagnosing and fixing heating and air conditioning units.
He/she is also expected to keep equipment available for use when testing and inspecting vehicles; carry out preventive maintenance such as engine tune-ups, oil changes, tire rotation and changes, wheel balancing, and filter replacement.
He/she is also expected to ensure that a vehicle is in a functional condition by listening to the operator’s complaints, as this is how he or she can diagnose mechanical failure accurately.
Another duty that may be executed by a car mechanic is to maintain vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
He/she is also expected to comply with state vehicle requirements by testing engines, safety, and combustion control standards.
He/she is also responsible for verifying vehicle serviceability by conducting test drives and adjusting control systems.
A car mechanic may also be responsible for maintaining vehicle records by recording service and repairs.
He/she may also be expected to accomplish organization and maintenance missions by completing other related tasks as required.
To become a car mechanic requires the individual to posses certain skills and qualities to be effective on the job.
Some of these include good physical strength and stamina, dependability, persistence, good time management skills, mechanical knowledge, safety management, problem-solving skills, analytical skills, and the ability to deal with complexity.
In terms of academic qualifications, individuals seeking the car mechanic job are required to possess High School diploma, though some employers prefer the completion of a formal educational program that includes course work and several years of proven hands-on experience working with vehicles.
Car Mechanic Salary: The average salary for a car mechanic is $49,579 annually.
Car Mechanic Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Shown below are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the car mechanic job description in most organizations:
- Executing automotive mechanic duties to repair and maintain vehicles in a good and functional condition
- Identifying and noting down the defects of vehicle systems
- Repairing and examining the performance of automotive vehicles
- Interacting with car owners on defects and the cost of repair
- Repairing brakes, exhaust, hydraulic, electrical suspension and fuel ignition of vehicles
- Analyzing, identifying, and repairing electrical suspensions, and wheel alignments of vehicles
- Maintaining and managing work tools, while also ensuring that equipment and machinery are in good condition
- Scheduling future maintenance sessions and advising vehicle owners on the maintenance and management of vehicles
- Staying up to date with the latest vehicle trends, and updating knowledge by reading technical publications.
Car Mechanic Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a car mechanic or are presently working in that position and are making a new resume, it will make your resume more captivating to have the professional experience section in it.
The professional or work experience section of your resume helps to show to the recruiter that you have performed or are performing the duties and responsibilities of a car mechanic successfully.
This piece of information can make your resume more appealing to the recruiter to give you an invite to an interview, especially if having some car mechanic work experience is important to the new job that you are seeking.
You can apply the above car mechanic job description example in creating the professional experience part of your resume.
Car Mechanic Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the car mechanic job, here are major requirements most recruiters may want you to meet to be hired:
- Good time management skills, as a car mechanic must diagnose and fix vehicle issues within a given time
- Physical strength and stamina, since the job of a car mechanic is a strenuous one that involves certain movements and postures
- Profound knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and electronic components and units of vehicles
- Mechanical knowledge, which enables the car mechanic to handle various tools efficiently and also use them effectively
- Good problem-solving skills, since the job of a car mechanic revolves round diagnosing and fixing car problems
- A High School diploma or certification from a vocational school, and completion of an apprenticeship.
If you are a recruiter or employer needing to hire a car mechanic, you will need to publish the description of the job.
This will help inform interested individuals of the duties and responsibilities they will be expected to perform if hired for the car mechanic position, which will enable them to decide whether they can be effective on the job or not.
This will help you to receive applications from only the best qualified candidates for the car mechanic job.
You can quickly and conveniently make the perfect description for the car mechanic role in your organization by applying the sample job description above.
This post is also beneficial to individuals interested in the car mechanic career; it will help increase their knowledge of what the role does.