Call Center Agent Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Call Center Agent Do?
A call center agent is an individual who on behalf of a company or organization deals with customers through telephones, Internet, instant messaging, etc.
He/she normally works in a multimedia contact center with job description that involves handling a wide range of activities which may include customer service, customer contact, and technical support.
The major duty of a call center agent is the handling of incoming telephone calls. He/she also has the responsibility of dealing with customers who prefer to contact the company through the Internet (e-mails), text messages, or other electronic medium.
Whenever a customer or client calls, the agent puts up information related to the customer or client on the computer screen so as to enable easy reference to sales or service records.
After the conversation with the customer, the agent updates the client’s record with whatever details he/she got from the client, and whatever responses he/she gave to the client.
The call center agent’s role also entails taking clients’ orders and resolving technical issues. He/she also tries as much as possible to deal with whatever issues clients complain about on their first call.
In a situation whereby he/she does not have an immediate solution to a client’s problem, he/she makes arrangements to call the customer back whenever adequate information and solution have been gotten.
The call center agent tries as much as possible to make sure that customers get satisfactory replies for any inquiry they make.
In resolving customer complaints, they make sure that they deal with issues quickly and efficiently, and also put quality service ahead of time saving.
The work description of agents in call centers may sometimes involves making calls during periods they are less busy.
The calls are normally to check on customers and to also find out whether previous services that were rendered to them met their needs.
The agent may also put calls through to customers to inform them of the availability of new products that may be of interest to them.
Call Center Job Description Example/Template
Call center agents perform various functions in ensuring customers’ inquiries are adequately answered to their satisfaction.
The responsibilities, tasks, and duties typically carried out by call center agents are shown in the job description example below:
- Responsible for managing a whole lot of incoming and outgoing calls in the organization
- Build long-lasting relationships with customers
- Keep a comprehensive record of all calls and/or conversations in the organization’s call center data bank
- Attend educational seminars or conferences on a regular basis so as to develop expertise and improve performance levels
- Make use of available opportunity to sell or advertise products to customers
- Make sure that whatever response given to the customer(s) is in line with pre-organized communication scripts that have been prepared for different topics that cover customer-related issues
- Identify the needs of various customers, clarify information, embark on necessary research, and provide lasting solutions to customer’s problems
- Route calls to the appropriate channel(s)
- Move complex issues or complaints to supervisors
- Willing to work during extended odd hours and/or during holiday periods.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Call Center Agent Role
If you are applying to work as a call center agent, the requirements and qualifications you may be expected to meet by most employers include the following:
- Must possess good communication skills, especially for listening. This is necessary in a bid to ensure a clear retrieval and passage of information to customers
- Must have good interpersonal skills to enable an easy flow with customers at all times
- Must be able to multi-task and manage time properly and effectively
- Must be able to adapt to different situations and individuals
- Ability to prioritize in the face of multiple tasks or assignments
- Ability to work as part of a team if need be
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Must be self-driven at all times
- Must have good knowledge of customer relationship or customer service practices
- Must have good data entry and typing abilities
- A minimum of high school diploma
- A higher degree would be of great advantage
- At least 2 years of work experience in a call center environment.
If you are an employer in the process of hiring for the call center agent position, publishing a good job description can increase your chances of having the best qualified people responding to your offer.
You can quickly and easily make an effective description of the call center agent job available in your company by making use of the sample copy provided in this post.
You can pick some ideas from it to write yours or simply edit it to suit your organization’s operational procedures and policies.
This post also helps people who are aspiring to get into the call center career to learn about the duties and responsibilities of agents in the occupation.
Did this post help you learn about what call center agents do? Please, share your thought about this article in the comment box below. We will also love to learn of your job description if you work as a call center agent.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.