Butler Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a butler, to help you learn the kind of work that they do.
It highlights the various duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the butler work description in most organizations.
It also presents the major requirements most employers/recruiters will expect you to meet if you are seeking the butler role in their organizations.
Please, continue reading to improve your knowledge of the butler career:
What Does a Butler Do?
A butler performs a wide range of functions like greeting and checking in guests, and making dining and entertainment arrangement.
They provide some sort of personalized services to guests.
They make tables ready for guest and ensure they are at the beck and call of the guests if they need anything.
They are always around to attend to the needs of the guests.
Butlers can work in hotels, restaurants, and individual homes wherever their services are needed.
They could also work in functions like birthday and house warming parties, and wedding receptions, and any other function where their services are needed.
Butlers play a key role in organizing, arranging, and ensuring guests are made comfortable in the venue.
They greet guests, prepare dining, and make entertainment ready for guests.
Simply put, the butler job description entails making guests happy and comfortable either in the hotel or anywhere else they are employed.
They ensure that guests are giving a good experience during their stay.
Butler Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here is a summary of the duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the butler job description:
- Meet guests on arrival and escort them to their rooms and ensure that they are settled in their rooms
- Take note of the needs of guests by learning about their likes, dislikes, allergies, etc.
- Have adequate knowledge of various drinks and foods in stock
- Serve drinks and foods to guests
- Assess and restock wine and all drink types when necessary
- Keep up with hotel policies on safety and hygiene
- Escort guests out of their rooms or tables when they are checking out of the hotel
- Appear presentable before guests at all times
- Recommend and arrange amenities for each guest in the hotel
- On hand to serve the guests when necessary
- Maintain communication with housekeepers to ensure rooms are kept clean for guests at their convenience
- Ensure that rooms meant for guests are kept clean always
- Carry luggage for guests on arrival to the room or the door of the room
- Ensure that guest deliveries are done on time
- Manage welfare of guests like shoe shining and cloth pressing, and other relevant services
- Carry out formal table service as well as service of drinks
- Maintain quality of fine antiques and art
- Arrange tables with flowers and other necessary decorations
- Work with kitchen staff to ensure timely service of food to guests
- Answer questions from guests in regards to hotel amenities and food & drinks menu
- Inform other departments in the hotel about the preference of individual guests
- Create updates in hotel software on preferences of various guests
- Perform basic check in and check out functions as well as room reservation
- Handle requests, apply payment, verify and adjust bills, activate room keys, etc.
- Update company management on guest feedback or experience on their stay
- Maintain professional relationship with guests, applying caution and respect
- Serve as middleman between other departments and guests, relaying information both ways
- Clear table when guests are done with the food or drinks for maintenance of clean environment
- Could also give a farewell greeting to guests at the end of their stay.
Butler Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a resume or CV for a butler position and have had some experience working in that role, you will have to include the professional or work experience section to your resume.
This section will help assure the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the duties of a butler.
This piece of information can go a great deal to convincing the recruiter/employer that you will be effective as a butler in their company.
You can apply the butler duties and responsibilities presented above in describing your functions as a butler in the work experience section of your resume.
Butler Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
The butler job requires high degree of discipline and positive attitude always.
Also, flexibility is a must. An intending butler should be ready to handle different requests simultaneously with little or no mistakes whatever.
If you are applying for the butler role in a company, here are major requirements you may be expected to meet by recruiters/employers to be hired:
Education: To qualify for this job, the candidate may need a diploma or Associate degree in Hotel Management, or in a related field.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years of experience is needed at a similar level or in a credible or well-known hotel.
More years of experience on the job will be an added advantage.
Computer skills: Candidates should be able to perform basic computer operations with sufficient knowledge of database.
Skills: Here are basic skills needed for success on this job:
- Excellent communication skills will be needed to maintain good conversation with both guests and colleagues in other departments
- Multitasking skills needed to handle more than one task simultaneously
- Good customer service skills which will be needed to ensure the comfort of guests during their stay
- Empathy needed to understand the feelings of guests when there is a complaint about a bad service
- People management needed to manage guests and other colleagues in the hotel
- Time management skills needed to attend to requests from guests in little or no time
- Good attitude needed to give customers a sense of belonging in the environment
- Attention to details
- Problem solving skills to help guests get the best solution to any challenge they could be facing while still around.
Professionalism: As a butler, professionalism is a norm and a rule which must be obeyed.
Keeping guests comfortable should be the first desire of the butler.
Care should be taken not to give guests a reason to be unhappy because of any unprofessional attitude or action.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the butler career; they will learn all they need to know about the job so they can make the best decision about going for the career or not.
It is also valuable to employers/recruiters to learn how to make a good job description for the butler position in their organizations, by applying the sample description for the role provided above.