Business Unit Manager Job Description Example
What Does a Business Unit Manager Do?
The business unit manager (BUM) is responsible for planning, directing wholly or partly the administrative services of a company.
His/her job description involves record keeping, information management, facilities maintenance and planning, mail distribution, and other office support duties.
In increasing trend of corporate performance like we have today, one of the prevalent influences is traced to the performance of the unit- level.
As head of the business unit, the manager gets to influence and contribute to the overall policies and procedures of the company and ensures it is adhered to within his/her unit.
A business unit manager influences his/her corporation markedly.
Experts have identified that there are three components that affect our managerial style: personality traits, managerial behavior, and background characteristics; these go a long way to influencing strategies applied at the unit level.
A business unit manager must be one who is all willing to take risks in order to drive the strategies and effectiveness of his/her unit.
He/she performs the role of empowering, selecting, coaching, and retaining qualified staff that will contribute to unit goals and the company at large.
The manager will provide direction and guidance to subordinates, which includes putting up working standards and monitoring performance.
A background in the sales and marketing department gives an aspiring business unit manager an edge over other managers and will help him/her to get acquainted with skills in external industry analysis. These skills will increase the effective delivery of company’s objectives.
Business Unit Manager Job Description Example
Business unit managers perform several roles in an organization. Here is an example of the job description for the position, detailing the common duties, tasks, and responsibilities they perform.
- Incorporate policies and procedures of the company in business unit operations
- Monitor and review company’s project activities and ensure that they are brought to completion within scheduled period of time and budget
- Provide effective management to organization’s business activities that have to do with its strategic and financial growth
- Create new strategies for marketing and monitoring QC and QA measures
- Build effective relationship with the clients so as to maintain good revenue increase for the organization
- Perform efficient finance management
- Perform review of equipment and system layouts and its validation
- Ensure harmonious environment for working
- Responsible for training and mentoring staff; motivating them all for effective performance for the general growth of the company
- Set up the business unit’s strategies for promotional activities
- Analyze and explore market trends; identifying new opportunities in assigned region
- Coordinate with other teams like the marketing team in order to develop plans for launching of new products, and then its implementation
- Develop and communicate the expectation levels and vision of the company to members of unit. This must of course be relevant to the company’s corporate vision and goals
- Coordinate with other heads of departments, integrating objectives and ideas for organizational growth
- Allocate resources to various centers and regions; all aimed at producing results
- Perform day-to-day administrative tasks, such as processing information files and other paperwork
Business Unit Manager Resume Preparation
The business unit manager’s resume can be prepared with the use of the sample job description presented above.
The description shows a list of specific functions of the manager in charge of business unit, which can be utilized in creating the job experience part of the resume.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for Business Unit Manager
Here are important skills and qualities applicants for the role of business unit manager are usually expected to have to be selected for hiring by the majority of employers:
- Ability to work under pressure and tight schedule
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration or in any related field. This has to be from an accredited university or college
- Creative thinking – The BUM should possess the ability to develop and create new ideas, systems, and relationships for the success of the company
- Decision making skills: He/she should have the ability to analyze information and evaluate results in order to make the best decision in solving problems
- Planning skills: – The manager should have the ability to develop specific plans and goals to help in accomplishing tasks efficiently
- Ability to tack complaints and resolve disputes and conflicts
- Motivating skills: The business unit manager should be able to encourage and build team spirit among staff, bringing about mutual respect and cooperation
- He/she must have pleasant personality and display managerial and leadership abilities
- Ability to identify new opportunities and exploit them to the benefit of the company
- He/she should have strong marketing skills
Help share this content: If you enjoyed our business unit manager job description sample and skills, which is free to use as template in making job descriptions and resumes for the position, please share it with friends on your favorite social media channel, thanks so much!
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.