Business Project Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Business Project Manager Do?
A business project manager can be described as one whose responsibility is to deliver every project on time within the available budget and scope.
His/her job description entails managing the available resources and seeing to it that the project is executed on time.
This position requires the project manager to have a background in business; and the must-have skills needed to excel in this position are excellent management, budgeting, and analysis skills.
The business project manager heads the project team and is skilled at getting the best out of projects and people he or she supervises.
He/she plans, supervises, and sees to the timely completion of projects; he/she works with projects teams.
Project managers normally work directly with the top management team of an organization in order to organize, coordinate, and prioritize on projects that are in line with the achievement of the firm or business general objectives or goals.
It is the duty of the manager to assign tasks to each member of the project team according to their strengths, and to make sure the team members understand the business objective(s) and execute the project in line with the organization’s objective(s).
It is also the role of the business project manager to ensure that the project team is provided with the relevant resources needed for the efficient and timely execution of the project(s).
He/she prioritizes and/or gives preference to activities or projects that will lead to the attainment of the business’s general objective(s).
His/her work description also involves communicating with the project team to be in the know of current progress of each individual and/or group project(s); updating the top management on the progress of each project and getting feedback from them.
And when necessary, the project manager re-prioritizes on projects that will lead to the attainment of the organization’s general objective(s).
Business Project Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Business project managers perform various functions to ensure that projects under his/her supervision are well coordinated and executed efficiently and on time. These activities are carried out bearing in mind the objectives of the organization.
The sample job description below shows the kind of duties, responsibilities, and tasks business project managers are expected to perform in most organization:
- Responsible for coordinating internal resources and vendors for the smooth execution of the project(s)
- Ensure that project(s) are delivered on time and within the budget and scope
- Responsible for the availability and efficient allocation of resources
- Responsible for the development of a detailed project plan to monitor the progress
- Responsible for developing project(s) objectives and scopes, involving all relevant stakeholders and also ensuring technical feasibility of the project(s)
- Responsible for managing the changes in project scope, schedule, and cost
- Measure project performance using the appropriate tools and techniques
- Perform risk management analysis in order to minimize project risk
- Create and maintain project documentation
- Responsible for managing the relationship with clients and stakeholders
- Responsible for establishing and managing the relationship with vendors.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for the role of a Business Project Manager
A typical business project manager usually possesses certain skills, abilities, experience, and qualifications that enable him/her succeed in this role.
When hiring for the position, employers usually set them as requirements that applicants must meet to access the job, they include:
- Must possess excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
- Must be able to communicate fluently in both spoken and written English
- Must possess good organizational skills and must pay attention to details
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize assignments
- Must have a good background in a business related field of study
- Must have experience working in a similar role or as a project administrator
- Must be proficient in using Microsoft office applications
- Must possess good interpersonal skills
- Must be able to plan and manage efficiently
- Must have good leadership and analytical skills.
This post will be useful to you if you are an employer needing to hire a good business project manager. You can apply the sample job description as a template in creating the perfect description of the business project manager job in your company.
With a detailed description, you can improve your chances of attracting the best project managers for your business that you desire.
You will also find this article helpful in learning about what business project managers do if you are interested in a career in project management.
Did this post increase your understanding of the duties and responsibilities of business project managers? Please, share your thoughts about this article in the comment box below. You can also share your job description if you work as a business project manager in your organization.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.