Big Data Developer Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a big data developer to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly define the big data developer work description in most organizations.
This article also shows the major requirements prospective candidates for the big data developer job are usually expected to fulfill to be able to access the position in most organizations that are hiring.
Please, continue reading to learn more of the big data developer career:
What Does a Big Data Developer Do?
Big data developers are responsible for carrying out coding or programming of Hadoop applications and developing software using Hadoop technologies like Spark, Scala, Python, Hbase, Hive, Cloudera.
They concentrate in creating, testing, implementing, and monitoring applications designed to meet an organization’s strategic goals.
They find employment in a variety of industries utilizing Big Data Solutions, including financial institutions, payment solution companies, healthcare agencies, IT companies, etc.
The big data developer job description entails writing codes, training, and mentoring junior personnel.
It may also involve providing leadership on specific projects or supervising the technical aspects of development projects.
Big data developers are also responsible for mentoring the development team in creating custom common utilities/libraries that can be reused in multiple big data development efforts.
They are responsible for developing, maintaining, and executing unit test cases with high code coverage and fine-tuning application performance.
They apply an understanding of algorithms, data structures, performance optimization techniques and software development to benchmark and debug critical issues with algorithms and software as they arise.
They also provide support with the technical design/architecture and execution of the big data cluster in various environments.
To work as a big data developer individuals must have proficient knowledge of Hadoop ecosystem and tools, back‐end programming, especially Java, JS, Node.js and OOAD; database structures, theories principles, and practices; and role-based skills, including analytical and problem-solving skills and code writing skills.
Big Data Developer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The big data developer performs various functions, which primarily entails developing codes, programs, and software tools that allow an organization’s technological infrastructure operate seamlessly in support of business goals.
The specific tasks and responsibilities they handle may vary with the industry they work in. However, the core duties and functions that make up the job description of the big data developer are listed below:
- Responsible for developing programs for large Application Services in the Big Data and Data Warehouse space
- Execute data mapping and lineage strategy for the organization
- Translate business requirements to technology implementation
- Work together with senior team members such as ETL Architects, Business Analysts, QA, etc. to implement the development
- Responsible for the resolution of technical issues that may require partnership across the client organizations
- Provide unit tested source code that meets the required standards and guidelines
- Stay current and apply expertise in the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Contribute at the discovery phase of small to medium-sized projects to generate high level designs
- Provide support in maintaining security and data privacy
- Suggest changes to design, products, and processes
- Responsible for managing and deploying HBase
- Responsible for Hadoop development and implementation
- Work on disparate data sets, carry out analysis of vast data stores, and uncover insights
- Responsible for developing scalable and high‐performance web services for data tracking.
Big Data Developer Job Description for Resume
The big data developer job description sample provided above can be applied in making the professional or job experience section of your resume if you have had some experience working as a big data developer.
If you have worked before or are presently working in the position of a big data developer and are writing a resume for another job, you will need to include the professional experience section in your resume.
This will help to effectively show the recruiter that you have been successful performing the job of a big data developer, and that is a boost to your resume.
You can quickly make the professional experience section of your resume by using the duties and responsibilities of the big data developer highlighted in the above job description example.
Big Data Developer Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a big data developer with a company, it is important to know that you will be required to meet certain requirements set by the recruiter to find capable individuals who will be able to effectively perform the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the role.
Shown below are major recruiter requirements for the big data developer position in most organizations:
- Education: Recruiters for the big data developer role usually require a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and experience in software engineering or related field. However, extensive industry experience and Big Data Development experience is also accepted
- Knowledge: Applicants for the job must possess experience in developing large scale enterprise applications for internal or external customers using Big Data open source solutions such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, and Elastic Search
- Deep understanding of Agile principles, with experience in scrums, implementing user stories, writing designs, and delivering near real time application. Applicants must also have capabilities using ETL, data quality, and data integration utilizing tools such as Informatica and Ab Initio
- It is also crucial for them to have proficient knowledge of SQL and the application of DBs, including: Oracle, MySQL, and Teradata. Employers also request for experience working non-relational databases, Machine Learning and Data Science
- Analytical mindset: in addition to technical expertise, it is essential that applicants have technical understanding to translate business requirements into efficient technical solutions
- Flexibility: IT is dynamic and rapidly changing, so employers often seek individuals with a proven record of working within a fast paced, dynamic, team-oriented environment
- Collaboration skills: Big Data Developers work with other developers, business analysts, ETL Architects, etc. Therefore, they must be comfortable working together with others within functional unit, external stakeholders, and client organizations
- Communication skills: It is important that big data developers can listen actively to understand client needs and business requirements, and communicate with them both verbally and in writing. Verbal and written communication skills are also essential in establishing rapport and cordial work relationship in an organization.
Advancing Your Big Data Developer Career
As a big data developer who wants to be ahead in your career, you will need to continually acquire advanced skills and knowledge; developing yourself this way will give you the advantage of getting higher paying jobs.
You will be able to achieve the required level of competence for a higher big data developer role by taking the right training and certification courses.
The same way, individuals in other careers who wish to switch to the better paying big data developer career will need to take the necessary certification courses to help them effectively make the career change as quickly as possible.
Also, if you are a fresh graduate or student looking to start a career in the big data industry to become a big data developer, you will need to take the training courses that can put you on the path of success in your career.
See below various training courses that can help you build and advance your big data developer career:
>> Big Data Architect Training Course
>> Big Data Hadoop Administrator Certification Training
>> Big Data Hadoop Certification Training Course
>> Machine Learning Certification Course
>> Data Science Certification Training
>> Data Science with SAS Certification Training
>> Data Science with Python Certification Course
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the big data developer position, you will need to publish a description of the job that tell prospective candidates the duties and responsibilities they will be required to perform if hired for the big data developer role.
The sample job description provided above can help you in making one for the big data developer job for your company.
The information contained in this post is also helpful to individuals who are interested in the big data developer career to learn about the duties and functions normally carried out by the role. This will help them to make the right decision about their career choice.
Did this post help increase your knowledge of what big data developers do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You may also discuss your job description if you work as a big data developer.