This post provides detailed information on the automated technician job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to meet to be hired for the automated technician role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does an Automated Technician Do?
Automated technicians are sometimes referred to as robotic technicians because they are required to repair and maintain robotic devices and computer-controlled systems for industrial and commercial businesses.
The automated technician job description includes monitoring and operating machines that are designed to perform tasks that require minimal human intervention. Such machines are largely computer-controlled and can be found in manufacturing and food processing companies.
Automated technicians are also expected to do a proper check on meters and gauges to ensure that the machines work well, and to analyze results gotten from the inspections for the purpose of meeting the company’s laid down standards.
Their role also involves helping to troubleshoot machines, knowing the problems and performing repairs.
They prepare reports covering the machines they have checked; making recommendations concerning upgrades and changes where required.
Automated technicians are required to possess knowledge in the areas of electronics, mechanics, and computers to be able to perform their work descriptions effectively.
Automated Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Automated technicians perform various functions in ensuring the effective maintenance of computer-controlled systems in their companies.
The major objectives, tasks, duties, and responsibilities automated technicians typically perform are presented in the job description example below:
- Adhere to safety standards all the time
- Assist in performing analysis on all projects by visiting the location
- Undertake emergency troubleshooting on mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic equipment to determine problems associated with the machines
- Assist in the maintenance of equipment so as to ensure that equipment and processes run very smoothly
- Provide technical assistance and support regarding all projects, installations, and repairs
- Maintain smooth communication with different levels of departments and peers
- Ensure the use of a digital dashboard for thorough analysis and fault reviews
- Conduct investigations; recommend changes and upgrades to equipment
- Upgrade hardware and software for improved process control
- Communicate findings, upgrades, and troubleshooting to colleagues and management through the e-mail, texts, and voice calls
- Prepare periodic reports on the progress made concerning faulty machines, errors, and processes
- Work smoothly with team members and site customers
- Ensure the calibration of all machines and maintenance after calibration
- Provide regular system operation training on automated systems
- Take care of installation, maintenance, and inspection of control systems and workstation installations at the facility
- Coordinate other workers in order to achieve departmental goals
- Provide technical monitoring for other automation technicians and engineers both on-site and off-site
- Assist in the specification, installation, and modifications of the systems.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Automated Technician Role
If you are seeking the job of an automated technician, it is important to know what prospective employers usually require from applicants to qualify for an interview.
Employers commonly expect interested individuals for the automated technician job to possess certain skills, abilities, experience, and knowledge that will enhance their ability to carry out the obligation, purpose, and responsibilities of the role.
Majorly, employers expect candidates for the automated technician position to meet the following requirements:
- Possess multiple skills in the areas of fluid power, manufacturing processes, electricity, electronics, and mechanical systems
- Interpersonal skills to lead and communicate with peers
- Ability to be cool when working under pressure
- Possess a deep understanding of Ethernet communication, Control Logic and Programmable Logic Control (PLC)
- Demonstrate knowledge concerning general safety protocol and procedures regarding field operations
- Possess broad-based knowledge in order to successfully troubleshoot, diagnose, and solve problems that relate to mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, etc.
- Electro-mechanical skills and problem-solving abilities
- Knowledge in the areas of computers and electronics which relates to circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, computer software and hardware
- Knowledge relating to the practical application in the areas of interpreting science and technology; ability to apply relevant principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment for the design and production of goods and services
- Mechanical knowledge concerning machines and tools. It includes design, uses, repair, and maintenance
- Knowledge of mathematics as it relates to arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their various applications
- Understanding troubleshooting in determining the causes of operating errors and knowing what to do spontaneously
- Critical thinking ability which requires using logic and reasoning in order to identify the strength and weaknesses of alternative solutions or approaches to problems in both technical and non-technical areas
- Ability to properly read, understand, and interpret written sentences and paragraphs relating to work documents
- Ability to put pieces of information together in order to form general rules and conclusions.
If you are a hiring manager or employer looking to recruit for the position of automated technician in your company, you will need to publish a description for the position to guide interested individuals in their application.
You can use the information in this post, including the sample job description provided in creating a good and suitable description for the technician role in your company
This post is also useful to those who want to become automated technicians as it provides them all what they need to know about the career, including the duties and responsibilities of the job and the requirements for success in it.