Auto Mechanic Job Description Example
If you want to employ the best auto mechanic available, you need to put together a good job description highlighting all the skills and competencies that you require from the applicants. This makes it easier for you to sieve out the qualified from the unqualified applicants.
On the other hand, if you are a trained automobile mechanic with the intention of applying for the job position, having a general knowledge of the skills required of auto mechanics and the duties, tasks, and responsibilities they perform on the job will assist you in preparing an irresistible resume.
So, this auto mechanic job description is written to assist hirers and applicants for the position.
What Does an Automobile Mechanic Do?
Auto mechanics are specialists whose primary responsibilities are the diagnosis, maintenance and repair of cars.
Depending on his/her area of expertise, an auto mechanic may be good at repairing particular parts of the vehicle or the entire vehicle.
Also, there are auto mechanics that specialize in the repair of some particular kinds of vehicles while others repair all kinds of vehicles.
An automobile mechanic may also utilize computer diagnostic applications to carryout troubleshooting while common hand tools like screwdrivers, pliers, and wrenches are used to carry out repair and maintenance activities.
The role of an auto mechanic also includes assisting drivers and vehicle owners in carrying out regular maintenance on their automobiles, including changing oil after certain mileage, lubricating vehicle parts, and performing other light repairs on the vehicles.
These technicians also test vehicles and inform their owners of the overall condition of the vehicles.
Their work description also entails assisting car owners in the purchase and replacement of damaged parts.
Being a great mechanic involves a combination of certain qualities and skills.
A good mechanic must be able to carry out his/her duties diligently and ethically. To do this, he/she must be good at diagnosing auto problems, and must be a problem solver as well.
An auto mechanic ought to be a good communicator and customer-oriented.
Basic literacy is necessary, but the most important is having sound auto repair training.
Being ASE certified may also be an advantage, but nothing is more important than being skilled at diagnosis and repair of automobiles.
Auto Mechanic Job Description Example
The day to day duties, tasks, and responsibilities of auto mechanics are stated in the following job description example:
- Diagnose and detect mechanical faults in cars manually or by the use of computer diagnostic programs
- Examine vehicle parts to ensure that they are working perfectly
- Maintain and repair vehicles for customers
- Assist customers in carrying out routine maintenance on vehicles, such as changing oil, lubricating frictional car parts and tightening bots and nuts
- Help customers in buying quality car parts for replacement
- Replaced damaged or worn-out car parts
- Keep customers informed on the condition of the car, problems detected, and cost of repair
- Answer customers’ inquiries and render advice on vehicle maintenance
- Ensure safety of vehicles brought in for repair
- Test drive each vehicle after repair.
Auto Mechanic Resume Preparation
If you need to prepare a resume for the job of an automobile mechanic, the sample job description provided above, which consists of the typical duties and responsibilities of the role, can help you in making the work experience part of it.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Auto Mechanic Job
The following are important skills and qualities to have to improve your chances of being hired by most employers as an auto mechanic.
- Strong communication and customer service orientation: A good mechanic must be able to communicate and relate very well with customers. This quality is very important in conveying information on car condition to customers and convincing them that you are capable of handling the problem. Customers will always feel at ease when complex technical issues are explained to them in plain language that they can easily understand
- Good diagnostic and problem solving skills: A good auto mechanic should be able to quickly identify the source of minor problems manually. For complex problem, using diagnostic tools is important. Also, it is very important that the mechanic is able to fix or proffer solution to the problems in real time
- Dexterous and energetic: He/she should be skilled at using complex and hand tools. In addition, he/she must be energetic and have the stamina to sit, stand, bend, kneel, and squat while carrying out his/her job
- Educated and certified: These two requirements may not be mandatory, but they are necessary. For one to be employed as a mechanic, he/she must be trained. Going ahead to obtain a recognized certificate like the ASE certificate for auto technicians presents him/her as a true professional. Also, most employers prefer to hire auto mechanics with minimum qualification of high school diploma
- Innovative and ability to learn fast: A good automobile mechanic must always be on the lookout for better techniques and tools for carrying out his/her duties. He/she must be able to learn and adapt fast to changes in diagnostic and repair technology.
Auto Mechanic Skills for Resume
Your auto mechanic resume will be stronger if it has a well-written skills section, which proves to employers that you are capable of excelling on the job by highlighting the relevant qualities you have and are bringing to the job.
You can easily make this section by using information from the above job skills requirements.
To an employer, knowing the various duties and responsibilities of an automobile mechanic will help in designing a suitable job description for employees, while to someone aspiring to work as an auto mechanic, knowing what the job entails, including the skills and qualities required to succeed in it is also important.
Did you find the auto mechanic job description useful? Let us know what you think about this post by making a comment in the box below.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.