Data Architect Job Description Example
What Does a Data Architect Do?
Data architect job description entails designing, developing, managing, and determining how an enterprise’s data will be stored and utilized.
Data architects usually work as part of the enterprise architecture unit. However, their primary responsibility is on the management of business data architecture.
They identify strategic data requirements of an enterprise and design models to make sure such data requirements align with the architecture of the enterprise.
They assess the enterprise’s internal and external data and design blueprint to manage the available data.
A data architect’s role also entails creating inventory of enterprise’s data and storing the data in an easily accessible manner while ensuring protection from unauthorized persons.
He/she is also a member of the database management team. He/she assists the enterprise in developing complex database management systems, as well as separate public data from private ones.
He/she is not only responsible for protecting the enterprise’s data, but also creates back up plan to cater for the data needs of the company in times of emergency or cyber attack.
His/her work description also entails collaborating with other sub-units of the enterprise architecture to develop data solutions and models for the organization’s needs, as well as partner with the enterprise’s management needs to create data models in line with the organizations needs.
Data architects employed on a permanent basis also carry out research to collate new data and update the company’s database from time to time.
Also, data architects’ job description includes performing research to discover new data management models and techniques.
They work to meld existing data architecture with new ones as technology emerges.
A data architect must have a strong background in system development and data management.
He/she must also have a strong understanding of software project management approaches and requirements, system development lifecycle, and design and test techniques to perform their duties effectively.
Proven knowledge of database design and modeling is also mandatory for this position.
The data architect must be well versed in different data modeling techniques, and database design and management.
This knowledge would serve him/her well in selecting suitable data modeling and management techniques for particular enterprise data needs.
Just like other professionals in the field of information technology, a data architect must be educated to a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in IT related discipline.
Data Architect Job Description Example
Here is an example of a data architect job description, showing commonly performed duties, tasks, and responsibilities for the role:
- Identify strategic data requirements of an enterprise
- Determine how an enterprise’s data will be stored and utilized
- Assess the enterprise’s internal and external data and design blueprint to manage the available data
- Create inventory of enterprise’s data and store data in easily accessible format
- Design and develop complex database management systems and separate public data from private ones
- Create back up plan to cater for the data needs of the company in times of emergency or cyber attack
- Collaborate with enterprise’s management needs to create data models in line with the organizations need
- Research to collate new data and update the company’s database from time to time
- Meld existing data architecture with new ones as technology emerges
- Learn new techniques for data modeling and management
- Ensure the protection of data from unauthorized persons.
Data Architect Resume Preparation
When preparing a data architect resume, a section you will need to create is the work experience section where you will show proof of having worked as a data architect before, that’s if you have actually done so.
Most employers would like to hire someone with experience of the job, so if you have one, you should highlight it in your resume.
The sample job description given above can help you to quickly create this section as it highlights the duties and responsibilities normally carried out by data architects.
Requirements – Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge – for Data Architect Job
If you are seeking the job of a data architect, here are skills and qualities you need to develop to improve your chances of getting the job as these are the common requirements most employers usually set for the position:
- Education: A Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or an IT related course is needed to start a career as a data architect. This would enable the individual to have an understanding of systems development life cycle, database design and management, and techniques for testing software projects
- Training: Additional training in data modeling techniques and database optimization is mandatory. It is such training that differentiates a data architect from other professionals in the IT world. Knowledge of SQL development may be required by some employers but mostly not for entry level data architect positions
- Innovative and good research skills: Data architecture requires individuals who can research to collate data and always learn new techniques of data management and security. So, a data architect must be a researcher with keen eye for innovation and learning new methods of doing things
- Good analytical and logical thinking skills: A data architect must be able to analyze large volume of data and develop appropriate blueprint to make it understandable and useable. He/she must be able to decipher codes into useable data
- Communication: A data architect must be a good communicator because data architects usually work as a member of a team. He/she is also expected to maintain constant communication with enterprise architecture unit, database management team, and the entire management. So, being able to explain things in plain language is very necessary.
Data Architect Skills for Resume
You can apply the above required data architect qualities in making the skills section of your resume, where you emphasize the qualities that will enhance your performance on the job.
Are you satisfied with our data architect job description? Or would you like to share your experience working as a data architect? Please do so in the box below.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.