This post provides detailed information on the assistant superintendent construction job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may need to fulfill to be hired for the assistant superintendent of construction role.
What Does an Assistant Superintendent of Construction Do?
The assistant superintendent construction job description entails responsibility for the day-to-day operations, budget, and staff of a construction project.
It also involves overseeing the production schedule, costs, and progress made on site.
This includes planning and scheduling all aspects of a job to ensure it progresses as planned and has a smooth delivery process.
Assistant superintendents of construction will seek to find cost effective solutions to problems that arise during the course of a project, while ensuring their standards are met in terms of quality control.
They must also deal with onsite accidents and any disputes that may occur among workers or contractors on site.
It is also their duty to ensure all of the requirements of the fire and safety regulations are met, as well as any necessary health and safety requirements.
To ensure that quality control is being maintained during the work being carried out on site, they will oversee all aspects of building and want to ensure they meet the expected standard.
The assistant superintendent of construction’s role also involves managing staff on site, both contractor employees and subcontractors in order to make sure that the work is being completed accurately and with a high standard of workmanship.
It is also their responsibility to deal with any problems arising from injuries or other problems that may have occurred during a job or at the end of a project (e.g. complaints about poor quality).
Dealing with any issues relating to the project, such as delays and other problems that may arise during the course of a project is another duty they perform
More on Assistant Superintendent Construction Job Description
The assistant superintendent construction work description also entails ensuring that they are on top of all legal requirements, including GST and payroll requirements, as well as ensuring all relevant documentation is completed correctly.
It also involves dealing with customer complaints and making sure customers are happy with the work throughout the duration of a project.
In addition, assistant superintendents of construction ensure they manage staff effectively and efficiently so that they can meet deadlines, adhere to budget constraints and deliver a quality standard expected by their customers.
They must ensure that they are equipped with the necessary tools, equipment and materials required to perform their job successfully.
Assistant superintendent construction works with site foremen and engineers, as well as the contractor, to keep them up to date on progress of a project.
They will also liaise with clients such as architects, designers, and customers to ensure they stay within budget constraints and deliver what was expected during a project
Assistant superintendents of construction deal with requests from clients or suppliers during their tenure on site.
Assistant Superintendent Construction Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The assistant superintendent construction job description entails the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Oversees the construction projects of a technical service division
- Plans and budgets for the department
- Analyzes and estimates real estate opportunities for the company
- Reviews contract plans and specifications
- Manages all of the administration, accounting, and personnel within the department
- Reviews all construction projects to determine the best approach
- Coordinates with the president, business development and construction management
- Provides technical support to the president and senior staff
- Manages field services, work progress, and invoice
- Oversees field services, including scheduling technicians, salary, general accounting; and payroll money handling applications
- Oversees all correspondence
- Supervises the technician training and interview program
- Coordinates the selection of new technicians and other employees
- Assigns duties to technicians and other employees, utilizing the expertise of each employee effectively
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations with all managers, personnel, clients and other outside agencies
- Identifies new construction opportunities for their division
- Recognizes problems, obtains solutions and solves them in a timely manner
- Promotes the use of innovative techniques that reduce costs while meeting quality standards.
Assistant Superintendent Construction Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as an assistant superintendent of construction or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume or CV, then you can make a great Professional Experience section for your resume by utilizing the sample assistant superintendent construction job description provided above.
You can highlight the assistant superintendent construction duties and responsibilities from the sample job description above in the Professional Experience of your resume to show that you have been effective working as an assistant superintendent of construction.
This can greatly boost the impact of your resume on the employer/recruiter and increase your chances of being hired, especially if the new job that you are applying for requires someone with some assistant superintendent construction work experience.
Assistant Superintendent Construction Requirements: Skills, knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you seeking to work in the assistant superintendent of construction role, here are important requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired:
- Must have a four-year degree in Construction Management or related field
- Minimum of five years of experience in the construction industry, with a minimum of two years supervisory experience or equivalent in technical or supervisory service
- Strong knowledge of the mortgage industry is an advantage
- Must be routinely available for after-hours work and weekends as required
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
- 4 – 16 years’ of construction management experience
- Proficient in utilizing Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and supervise multiple tasks simultaneously
- Presentable in appearance and detail oriented
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of management and field personnel
- Must possess strong leadership skills with a proven record for developing and mentoring others
- Ability to convince others of their ideas
- Must possess excellent customer service skills when dealing with the public, media and legal agencies
- Should have experience supervising other technicians
- Must be familiar with all business types, such as direct mail, telemarketing and traditional advertising
- Ability to write accurate reports and correspondence is required
- Proficient in the use of computerized software programs (Microsoft Office)
- A well-rounded background in accounting and/or marketing.
Assistant Superintendent Construction Salary
There are currently over 86,158 assistant construction superintendents working in the United States.
Women make up 6.4% of all assistant construction superintendents, while men make up 93.6%.
An employed assistant construction superintendent is 46 years old on average.
Assistant construction superintendents are mostly White (77.4%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (14.4%), Black or African American (3.5%), and Asian (2.8%).
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the assistant superintendent construction career.
They will be able to learn about the duties and responsibilities of assistant superintendents of construction, and so be able to decide if that’s the best career to get into. It is also useful to recruiters/employers in writing a detailed job description for the role by applying the sample assistant superintendent construction job description provided above.