Assistant Internal Auditor Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an Assistant Internal Auditor Do?
An assistant internal auditor is saddled with the responsibility of ensuring that proper checks are carried out to ensure accuracy of accounting systems and procedures.
His/her job description entails recommending changes in the accounting systems and controls of any business.
The assistant internal auditor goes a step further to verify and also inspect accounts receivable; including payable ledgers, as well as the accuracy of its general ledger.
His/her role also involves checking and reconciling bank deposits and payments.
Assistant Internal Auditor Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Assistant internal auditors undertake a wide range of functions in an organization or company in ensuring that organizations’ accounting procedures and systems are accurate.
The work description example shown below provides major tasks, duties, objectives, and responsibilities that assistant internal auditors are commonly required to perform:
- Carry out a full audit of an organization; including accessing risk and taking the necessary risk management steps to forestall fraud
- Ensure control management regarding financial reliability and compliance by making sure that directions and regulations are strictly adhered to
- Determine the scope of internal audit
- Prepare and presents reports that clearly reflects the audit results
- Obtain, analyze, and evaluate accounting documentation, reports, and data
- Act objectively by giving independent advice in order to ensure legality and achieve organizational goals
- Maintain and improve on existing open communication with the management and the audit committee
- Assist to document the audit process and prepares audit findings
- Assist to do a follow-up on the audit assignments giving to other auditors
- Strive to continuously develop knowledge in the sector regarding rules, regulations, best practices, techniques and performance standards
- Check all accounting process and clients’ databases
- Regularly update clients’ accounts so as to function properly
- Study and inspect budgets, balance sheets and other related financial records and statements
- Help to review and proffer solution to internal audit issues
- Check and verify all accounting books and records in conformity with industry standards, best practices, and corporate guidelines
- Ensure total compliance with regulatory guidelines and internationally accepted auditing standards
- Participate in meetings with different departments in order to update audit findings and improve on the audit process
- Work in a team in order to achieve the aims and objectives of the company or organization
- May work for longer hours during audit periods in order to meet certain targets
- Recommend the best and proven ways for an organization or company to avoid fraud and reduce risks
- Do a thorough analysis of the audit reports in order to find out ways how the organization can make more profits and reduce lost
- Supervise, train, and mentor staff, including interns on audit processes; and access the performance of staff
- Conduct risk assessments and also prepare risk registers for the organization or company
- Prepare financial statements and tax returns, and present same to the management
- Evaluate the internal control of the organization or company
- Work harmoniously with external auditors as requested by the organization
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the management.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Assistant Internal Auditor Role
Employers looking to hire for the role of assistant internal auditor expect that prospects and/or future employees to be competent, and should possess a certain number of skills, abilities, and knowledge to enable them succeed on the job.
The common requirements for the assistant internal auditor position include the skills, abilities, knowledge, shown below:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy, Accounting, or Finance
- Proven teamwork and problem-solving abilities
- Strong ability to work on multiple tasks or assignments
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Able to pay attention to detail
- Possess strong organizational skills
- Possess a high level of professionalism, integrity, and truthfulness in all dealings
- Knowledge of legal and financial systems
- Ability to do proper documentation; possess good record keeping ability
- Possession of sound independent judgment
- Possess strong knowledge of auditing standards, procedures, laws, rules, and regulations
- Possess advanced skills in computer applications like Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other accounting software
- Strong ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to make presentations to a select group within and outside the organization or company.
From the post above, we can appreciate how important assistant internal auditors are to any organization or company that they work for.
As such, it makes sense for employers to hire the best candidate for the job and the sample job description provided in this post can be useful to them.
It can serve as a guide to employers or hiring managers looking to recruit for the assistant internal auditor position in creating an effective description for the role.
This post will also help individuals interested in the internal auditor career to learn as much as they can about the assistant role, including the purpose, objectives, duties, and responsibilities of the position.
This knowledge helps them to be better prepared for the career.
Did this article help you better understand what assistant internal auditors do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You can also discuss your job description if you work as an assistant internal auditor.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.