Technical Operations Manager Job Description Example
What Does a Technical Operations Manager Do?
Technical operations managers design, control, and manage the technical process and operational integrity of technological services provided by an organization.
Their job description involves coordinating the operational aspects of a technical process to ensure smooth running of corporate affairs.
These operations managers develop and apply firmware, software, and hardware solutions to meet the technical requirements of a company.
They are responsible for the immediate troubleshooting of urgent technical issues.
They also provide guidance on issues bordering on technical and managerial operations.
In performing their duties, technical operations managers oversee and coordinate the activities of technical staff.
They set objectives for technical operations as well as implement action plans necessary for achieving set targets.
They also ensure the provision of technical equipment and materials required for operations.
Usually, most managers in charge of technical operations, by means of statistical metrics, assess the business performance of a company to proffer recommendations that will add value to a company’s bottom line.
They prepare and implement budget for technical operations in order to achieve set objectives.
Their role also entails ensuring that corporate operations are coordinated and completed within set deadline and available budget.
As part of their responsibilities, technical managers organize training programs for staff in the department to enhance their skills and improve their job knowledge.
They produce and present to company management periodic reports of technical operations.
They also maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant technical and human resource policies and procedures.
In fulfilling their work description, technical operations managers conduct cost-benefit analysis to determine operational alternatives with comparative advantage.
They develop processes for the resolution of technical challenges and client complaints.
They also liaise with non-technical staff to ensure general corporate operations run smoothly.
To work as a manager responsible for technical operations in a company, you will typically require a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, or in other related field.
The major qualities required for success in this job include time management, budgeting, and leadership skills.
Technical Operations Manager Job Description Example/Template
The role of a technical operations manager involves various functions geared towards making sure that the technical requirements of a company are handled effectively.
Here is a job description example that captures the typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities of managers of technical operations in most companies.
- Develop and implement health and safety policies to ensure a risk-free and safe work condition
- Conduct risk assessments to analyze risks and operational hazards
- Oversee the hiring, training, and monitoring of technical operations staff
- Ensure technical equipment and machinery are operational and efficient
- Organize training programs to educate technical operations personnel on standard operating procedures
- Oversee the provision and supply of select raw materials and products for a technical process
- Build and maintain good working relationships with clients in order to maximize patronage
- Oversee the implementation of HR policies and procedures when performing job duties
- Produce periodic reports to update company management on progress of operations
- Mentor and motivate a technical team to put in their best effort to improve level of performance
- Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures when performing job duties
- Conduct annual staff appraisals and assessments to determine staff training needs
- Liaise with other departmental heads to plan and implement action plans for improved technical operations
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of technical processes, functions and requirements.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Technical Operations Manager Job
If you are seeking to work as a technical operations manager, the following are requirements you may need to have to qualify for hiring by most companies needing such personnel; managers with these qualities are believed to succeed more on the job:
- Education and Training: To become a technical operations manager, you require a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, or in a similar discipline. Experience in the field of technical operations or as an IT technician is also required. For top-level technical operations management, a Master’s degree or certification in business administration is essential
- Time management Skills: Managers of technical operations are well versed in coordinating technical processes to ensure timely completion of projects
- Budgeting Skills: They are able to prepare and manage operations budget to achieve set objectives
- Leadership Skills: They are proficient in managing technical human resources to meet the requirements of an organization
- Pre-employment tests: To finalize the recruitment process for this role, applicants may be asked to pass one or more tests, such as aptitude test, leadership tests, and situational judgment test to confirm if they are right for the job. Learn about Job Assessment Tests and how to be successful in them.
The technical operations manager duties and responsibilities covered in this post are helpful to you if you are preparing for a career in this field.
Having strong knowledge of what managers of technical operations do as provided by this post will help you to adequately prepare yourself to succeed in this role.
Also, the sample technical operations manager job description provided above is useful to employers who may use it as a template in designing a work description that attracts the best qualified applicants when hiring for the position.
Did this post help you to learn more about what technical operations managers do? Please, let’s know what you think about this article by leaving a comment in the box below.