Restaurant Cashier Job Description Example, Duties, and Responsibilities
The restaurant cashier’s job description covers interacting with customers and accepting payment from them for products and services provided.
An essential position in any restaurant will involve the person handling money. Such personnel are referred to as restaurant cashiers. They can also be regarded as the waiter/waitress, the floor manager, or host of the restaurant.
The shift or restaurant manager usually reviews the contents of the drawer at the start and end of the cashier’s working period to ensure accuracy in calculations.
The restaurant cashier in this context may be responsible for calculations involving a lot of cash, and in separating checks. Having basic experience working with check authentication appliances and credit card machines will be a valuable quality for the cashier.
Customers mostly have the opportunity to speak with only the cashier during the whole period of their stay at the restaurant. He/she is therefore obligated to welcome customers with a warm smile.
Payments are immediately entered into the payment system and collected by the cashier at the completion of the meal.
A productive restaurant cashier is able to switch roles quickly between performing major restaurant tasks and attending to the needs of customers.
He/she serves each visitor respectfully, swiftly and effectively with an honest, positive, friendly, and exuberant attitude.
His/her responsibilities also include filing orders, receiving money, and carrying out suggestive selling while managing all cash issued and received during his/her shift.
He/she may need to perform smaller tasks to assist other personnel in quickly rounding up and closing the restaurant for the night.
These duties are usually done while the supervisor or manager reviews the cashier register.
Tasks scheduled for closing period may include clearing of trash, cleaning the front station, and restocking, among other duties.
Restaurant Cashier Job Description Example
Here is an example of job description normally executed by cashiers working at most restaurants, showing key duties, tasks, and responsibilities of the job.
- Take customer orders at the counter
- Receive payments and present change to customers
- Pack food items, make coffee, and fill beverage cups
- Function as the host/hostess of the restaurant
- Make reservations for customers
- Receive food checks from waiters or customers
- Appeal to impatient or irritated customers, especially during rush hours
- Manage the register, including all credit card and cash operations
- Ensure a balance of the register at the end of the shift or working period
Restaurant Cashier Resume Preparation
To prepare a suitable resume for the position, the job description sample provided above contains the right information in making certain sections of the resume, including the employment history section.
Requirements – Qualities – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – for the Restaurant Cashier Position
A qualified candidate for the position of a restaurant cashier must have outstanding interactive and communication skills and also possess the enthusiasm to work with other staff as a team player.
He/she should be able to carry 25-50 pounds and work in standing positions for up to eight hours per period.
This position will also entail pulling, stretching, pushing, and incessant use of the wrist and fingers.
In addition to these, the following qualities, skills, knowledge, and abilities are most sought after by employers:
- High school diploma coupled with experience in related positions, as well as working knowledge in a similar role
- Excellent mathematical, multitasking, and computer skills
- Proficiency in using computers, calculator, and other machines required for transactions
- Outstanding customer relation skills and ability to ensure a customer priority culture
- Ability to work with flexibility in a continuous schedule of day, nights, holidays, and weekends