Nurse Case Manager Job Description Example
What Does a Nurse Case Manager Do?
Nurse case managers oversee the quality of healthcare patients receive during their stay in a health facility.
Their job description entails coordinating and organizing the provision of healthcare services to ensure the needs of patients are met.
Nurse case managers ensure that health staff fulfill their obligations and responsibilities by making sure patients receive both medical and psychological treatment.
They usually work with a team of nurses whom they delegate to implement care plans for patients.
Care plans are a set of actions taken to address individual needs or concerns of patients.
As part of their responsibilities, nurse case managers educate patients on their health status as well as proffer recommendations on step necessary for quick recovery.
They provide advocacy services to assist impaired patients in accessing government healthcare aid or cashing in health insurance claim.
Their role also involves coordinating the discharge plan of patients to ensure continued care by home health aide or transfer to long term care institution.
Nurse case managers ensure proper documentation of client case management plans and treatment progress.
They conduct assessments to identify factors which pose a risk to patients or impede the process of recovery.
They also connect clients with appropriate specialists such as social workers or psychologists to address their psychosocial needs.
In fulfilling their role, nurse case managers provide advice and recommendations to the family of a patient on ways to support a loved one through the recovery process.
They serve as a liaison between a patient and his/her healthcare provider to ensure clients receive quality health care service.
Their work description also includes developing strategies and action plans for patient-focused case management.
Nurse case managers monitor the progress of a patient to make necessary adjustments on a treatment plan and case management strategy.
To access the nurse case manager job requires a Bachelor’s degree in nursing. Certifications and licensure are also required to practice.
To succeed on the job, some of the qualities you need include communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
Nurse Case Manager Job Description Example/Template
Here is nurse case manager job description example, consisting of typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities usually carried out by individuals who work in the role:
- Collaborate with physicians to communicate patient’s needs and develop strategies to improve patient’s health condition
- Educate a patient’s family on recommended self-care techniques for providing medication and food to patient
- Ensure patients are housed in a safe, clean and healthy environment that encourages recovery
- Conduct assessment of patient and family to identify their medical history and determine nursing diagnosis
- Develop and implement personalized treatment plans which includes rehabilitative, therapeutic and preventive nursing action
- Monitor the treatment process of patients to ensure the quality of health care provided is up to acceptable standards
- Oversee the discharge plans of patients to amplify discharge in cases of speedy recovery so as to minimize medical costs
- Implement plans for post-discharge treatment of clients at their homes or at long term care facilities
- Assign work shifts to healthcare staff to ensure adequate coverage of patients
- Organize case care seminars and conferences to educate healthcare professionals on techniques for implementing quality patient care plans
- Ensures compliance with hospital/health facility policies and procedures when carrying out job duties
- Liaise with case managers and home care services directors to ensure high quality healthcare services to patients
- Present regular reports of case management activities to the director of case management
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of patient care plans by participating in workshops, conferences, and educational programs.
Nurse Case Managers Resume Preparation
If you are making a resume for the nurse case manager job, having a section for highlighting your work experience will enhance the resume as employers mostly require people with experience for this position.
You can easily create your work experience section if you have been a nurse case manager before by adopting the duties and responsibilities in the sample job description above.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Nurse Case Manager Job
If you are seeking the job of a nurse case manager, below is a list of the common requirements you will need to meet for most employers to consider you for the role:
- Education and Training: To become a nurse case manager, you require a Bachelor’s degree in nursing. You are also required to obtain certifications from the American Case Management Association (ACMA) or the Commission for Case Management Certification in order to practice as a certified nurse case manager. State licensure may also be required
- Communication Skill: Nurse case managers are adept at communicating with physicians, nurses, and health insurer to ensure the quality of patient health care
- Interpersonal Skill: They are able to liaise between patients and health care providers to ensure delivery of effective health care service
- Analytical Skill: They are well versed in conducting assessments and research to identify and develop strategic solutions to patients’ needs.
Nurse Case Manager Skills for Resume
Again, if you are writing a resume for the nurse case manager position, you can apply the usually required qualities for the job given above in quickly making the skills section (that’s if you have them).
Such skills section will be more effective with hirers because it shows the qualities employers look for when hiring for the nurse case manager position.
This post shows the type of work – duties, tasks, and responsibilities – that nurse case managers do. If you are interested in this job, this information will help you to learn more about it and to prepare for the career.
The sample nurse case manager job description also provided in this post is useful to employers as a template to follow in making a work description for use in hiring and allocating tasks to successful candidates for this position.
Did this post help you to learn more about the functions of nurse case managers? Do let us know what you think about this article by leaving a comment in the box below.