This post provides in-depth information on the web graphic designer job description, to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that typically define the web graphic designer work description.
This article also presents the major requirements you might be asked to meet to be hired for the web graphic designer’s role.
Please, read on:
What Does a Web Graphic Designer Do?
The web graphic designer job description entails conceptualization and development of the visual identity of a web site or application.
It also involves devising, creating, and designing graphics, including logos, banner ads, and more.
The web graphic designer’s expertise extends to the design process, such as wireframes, layouts, and navigation flows, creating user interface designs using HTML/CSS/JQUERY.
They must be able to develop photographs and illustrations both in digital format as well as physical form that can be used on print materials related to website content.
Web graphic designers are expected to maintain visual consistency across the website.
They also ensure that the images are of the right format, resolution, and size for the website design.
In addition to this, they must be able to develop graphics using computer software such as Photoshop or Illustrator.
The web graphic designer role entails providing technical support to users who need help when creating their graphics online.
It also involves applying search engine optimization and web coding that is related to their field, to optimize the website and make it search engine friendly.
A web graphic designer will also ensure that the user interface design is responsive in nature so that it can be viewed on most internet browsers of various sizes without major modifications to the design of the site.
During their work, they may be required to participate in team projects where other members of a team will be carrying out different parts of a project.
These include designing or editing content and coding and wrapping up the final product for publication on the website or application.
More Web Graphic Designer Duties and Responsibilities
As a web graphic designer, you create graphics that will be used on the website and must be able to communicate with their design and development team members, clients, friends, and family as well.
You have to maintain the website so it is constantly updated with more information, images, and content.
Web graphic designers work with tools that can create certain types of graphics online, such as Photoshop or Illustrator.
They also use different tools such as FTP clients, servers, and databases like MySQL to maintain the website database.
It is also their responsibility to carry out usability testing on the website design by getting feedback from representative users from the target market.
They are in charge of the security of the website as well and must be able to create a safe online environment for users by keeping hacking threats in check.
The web graphic designer’s duties include updating the website content and creating new content that is relevant and useful for guests of the website or application.
It also involves submitting their work on time, within budget, and with excellent quality.
Web Graphic Designer Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The job description of a web graphic designer consists of the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Designing the button faces (web button)
- Creating the web button (web button)
- Designing the graphic element
- Deciding on the color scheme for each specific web graphic element
- Applying graphical effects to the web image or icon
- Designing logos or icons in vector or raster format
- Creating the exact visual effect and appearance of the web image
- Designing the image with multimedia features, adding sounds, video, and flash files
- Creating website content (web writing, web page design)
- Managing multiple projects at once. Performing quality control and testing on all their works
- Coding in HTML to serve pages in a web server environment. This is especially true for designing client-side features pages with back end programming
- Checking graphics to see if they are well-suited for the internet environment
- Designing templates for web applications and websites
- Creating interactive online applications using Macromedia Flash or Adobe Director
- Setting different parameters such as flash loop, frame rate, etc. (Flash programming). Such parameters will determine the user’s response to the application. It will also determine its speed of execution in terms of RAM and CPU usage.
Web Graphic Designer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a web graphic designer or are presently working in that role and are writing a resume or CV for a new job, you can make the resume highly compelling by highlighting that work experience in its Professional Experience section.
You can highlight the web graphic designer duties and responsibilities from the sample job description above in your resume’s Professional Experience section, to show that you have been successful performing the job of a web graphic designer.
This piece of information in your resume can greatly influence the recruiter/employer to hire you for the new position, especially if the new job requires having some web graphic designer work experience.
Web Graphic Designer Job Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the web graphic designer role, here are major requirements most recruiters/employers may want you to fulfill to be employed:
- Strong knowledge and ability to apply HTML and CSS
- Possess ability to perform quality control checks
- Proficient in Photoshop or Illustrator, or other graphics software
- Excellent design capabilities (designing templates)
- Possess excellent graphic illustration skills. Perhaps the most crucial requirement is the ability to perform quality control checks on their work and help with editing and testing of their projects on different browsers
- Strong familiarity with computer programming, e-commerce applications, and database development (web programming)
- Ability to work under pressure, remain focused and meet deadlines
- Excellent ability to arrive at solutions which are aesthetically pleasing, while performing technical tasks
- Must be able to work within the context of a team, as well as individually
- Strong ability to learn new tools and protocols used in designing user interfaces
- Must possess excellent coordination skills, since they would be working closely with graphic artists, web developers and webmasters from different departments of a company
- Ability to do research on web design trend and developments, as well as know what’s currently hot in the market.
Web Graphic Designer Salary
The base income for web graphic design ranges from $77,382 to $97,686, with an average base compensation of $88,898, according to Salary.com.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the web graphic designer career who want to learn about what the role entails.
They can boost their knowledge of the web graphic designer’s job by reading this page.
It is also useful to employers/recruiters in making a detailed job description for the web graphic designer role for their companies, for use in the recruitment process for the role.