Surgical Nurse Practitioner Job Description Sample
What Does a Surgical Nurse Practitioner Do?
The surgical nurse practitioner offers medical upkeep to both inpatients and outpatients clients who have undergone surgical procedures, under the guidance of a certified physician, though this may not be necessary in some locations.
The surgical nurse practitioner job description includes taking record of patients’ medical history, ordering and interpreting tests, performing diagnosis to establish suitable treatment programs, and carrying out physical tests.
The individual for this position is responsible for carrying out nursing duties and also working with house officers, nurses, staff physicians and other associates of the medical care unit in ensuring achievement of patient results in a secured and effective manner.
The surgical nurse practitioner’s role also includes evaluating individual patients in the assigned service.
He/she will be expected to carry out physical checkup and consult personally with patients as well as through phones or electronic media.
He/she will need to cooperate with other personnel in the medical department to ensure progressive patient care compatible with enacted quality indicators.
Surgical nurse practitioners take part in complete coordination of patient’s care and report to the head of assigned service and department manager.
Job Description Sample for the Surgical Nurse Practitioner Position
Below is a sample of job description for most surgical nurse practitioners, consisting of important duties, tasks, and responsibilities they are expected to perform working in standard medical settings, with precision and utmost diligence.
This job description example can equally be used in preparing a resume for the post.
- Work with standard guidelines instituted for the nurse practitioner function, compatible with state principles and according to prerequisites laid down by the Board of Registered Nursing.
- Direct age befitting evaluation of patients by taking into account the patient’s history and physical examination harmonious with department formalities.
- Carry out evaluation, data collection and processing in an organized manner, while pinpointing areas such as psychosocial, cultural, spiritual, physiologic, and cognitive state.
- Deliberate with administrative physicians or similar clinicians as mandated by the needs of the patient, and evaluate findings.
- Work together with physicians and other clinicians in the medical unit to ascertain efficient care in line with distinct indicators for patients being catered for in specified service.
- Reassess medical record for further diagnostic studies or follow up under instituted protocols.
- Set up and organize communication with similar healthcare providers and units to ascertain functional effectiveness and performance, and to enhance continuity and compatibility of care.
- Set up efficient working relationships with affiliates of the health care unit, patients, and their families.
- Respond to staff rights as well as ethical and cultural beliefs.
- Authorize appropriately and organize the duties of health care associates.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for the position of a Surgical Nurse Practitioner
Most employers will expect an individual applying for the post of a surgical nurse practitioner to have acquired the following practical skills and qualities:
- A Master’s degree in nursing, together with a license as a validated nurse practitioner and as a registered nurse.
- At least six months experience in nurse practitioner role and one year within a three year experience as a nurse practitioner offering specialized care for cardiovascular cases.
- Demonstrate appropriate skills, and utilize safety ethics as recognized by the institution.
- Ability to carry out duties effectively in emergency circumstances following instituted protocols, maintaining calmness, communicating with the appropriate persons, and recording events.