This post provides detailed information on the summer camp counselor job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the summer camp counselor role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Summer Camp Counselor Do?
Summer camp counselors coordinate and supervise children and teenagers during summer camp activities.
The summer camp counselor job description entails organizing camping trips and developing recreational plans for hiking, swimming, and other outdoor exercises.
Summer camp counselors provide guidance and leadership to campers usually children between the ages of 7-16 years.
They develop plans for activities such as outdoor sports, skill building, and art and crafts.
Their role also involves escorting and monitoring children on field trips to recreational locations such as gardens or amusement parks.
In performing their duties, counselors monitor the behavior of kids during camping activities to counsel or discipline ill-mannered children.
They inform parents of their wards’ behavior, as well as observe signs of social withdrawal.
They also mentor and educate children on reading, writing, and math.
Usually, summer camp counselors organize various physical exercises to create fitness awareness and help improve the health of children.
Their work description may also involve coordinating and participating in singing, sports, and storytelling activities.
They also liaise with other camp staff to ensure the needs of individual campers are met.
As part of their responsibilities, camp counselors maintain order within camp premises and ensure the safety and well-being of campers.
They lead classes on canoeing, outdoor cooking, archery, and various other teambuilding games.
They also maintain good knowledge of first aid administration and emergency safety procedures such as CPR administration.
These counselors inspect camp site to ensure it’s clean and free of hazardous materials.
They instruct campers on setting up camping gear/tents, as well as provide them with information on how best to co-exist with nature.
They also oversee the procurement of supplies and equipment required for camp activities.
In fulfilling their role, summer camp counselors create and maintain record of campers’ personal information and attendance logs.
Resolution of conflicts between individuals or groups is also part of the summer camp counselor description.
To get into this career, you need to have an aptitude for sports, teaching, and craft. You also need to develop certain qualities, including leadership, counseling, and wilderness survival skills to succeed in this job.
Summer Camp Counselor Job Description Example/Template
Summer camp counselors perform various functions; below is a job description example that shows the typical tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the role:
- Develop engaging recreational activities for children and adult campers
- Lead small or large groups on crafts, swimming, kayaking, archery, family night, and various other camp exercises
- Monitor campers to identify and respond to unruly behavior or deviations from camp guidelines
- Contact parents to relay information regarding their children’s camp experience and behavior
- Maintain accurate record of camp activities and data such as attendance logs and incident reports
- Implement policies for the safety of campers, equipment, and personal property
- Act as a role model for campers in activities which require cleanliness, punctuality, and sportsmanship
- Administer emergency safety procedures such as CPR and first aid as may be required
- Collaborate with camp staff to develop and execute plans for daily activities
- Establish camp regulations and guidelines necessary to maintain order within camp premises
- Conduct inspections to ensure camp environment is clean and free of hazard
- Lead campers in fire drills, as well as teach them emergency procedures and survival skills
- Mediate disputes or conflicts between campers to ensure a peaceful environment
- Participate in singing, storytelling, and sporting activities
- Mentor and tutor children on academic/social topics such as behavior management, reading, peer pressure.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Summer Camp Counselor Job
If you are interested in the summer camp counselor job, here are major requirements you may be expected to meet to qualify to access the position with most firms:
- Education and Training: To become a summer camp counselor, you require at least a high school diploma and previous experience working with children. Knowledge of sports, arts, or crafts is also necessary for the position. Certifications in first aid and CPR administration are key requirements for the job
- Leadership Skill: Camp counselors are able to direct and coordinate children during summer camp trip
- Counseling Skill: They are well versed in offering good advice to children and their parents to address behavioral issues
- Wilderness Survival Skill: They are able to live in the wild and cope without basic amenities.
The sample job description provided in this post can help you create a good summer camp counselor work description to attract the best candidates for the position when hiring.
Also, if you are an individual interested in working as a counselor for summer camps, you can learn a whole lot about the duties and responsibilities of the job from information provided in this article. This makes you better prepared for the career.