Sample Investment Banker Interview Questions and Answers
Investment banks are renowned for their tough and detailed interviews, but what is the best way to prepare for the questions they will ask?
This post provides lots of samples of commonly asked questions in an investment banking job interview; by preparing with these questions, you can improve your chances of landing the job.
What do Interviewers look for in an Investment Banker?
When hiring for an investment banking position, interviewers generally desire candidates with a degree in finance, economics, or law from an accredited college or university.
An investment banker is also expected to have prior experience at the least two years as an associate level professional within the industry.
10 Most Common Investment Banker Interview Questions and Answers
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions in a job interview for investment banker position, with suggested answers:
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
My greatest accomplishment was when I graduated from business school and accepted a position at an investment banking firm.
2. Why did you choose this company?
The company’s reputation in the industry, its locality to where I live, and its culture are some of the reasons why I chose it over other companies.
3. What do you know about this company?
I am proficient with the company’s stock, financial reports and the performance of the previous year. I have also read an analysis from an independent analyst to understand its financial strengths and weaknesses.
4. How would you describe yourself?
I am a person who is reliable, detail oriented and able to work effectively under stressful circumstances. These are some of the qualities that I possess.
5. What is the most challenging experience you had in your entire life?
Growing up without having a father figure was one of the most difficult experiences of my entire life.
6. What are you looking forward to the most in the coming year?
I have always wanted to have my own business, but I am also looking forward to getting married and starting a family.
7. What is your greatest strength?
I am a very strong individual and never give up, no matter how hard the challenge may be.
8. What is your greatest weakness?
My greatest weakness would be my tendency to procrastinate. I get overwhelmed with work assignments, especially when it comes to completing them on time. Hence, this is another way in which I could improve my performance in the job market.
9. What are your objectives?
My primary objective is to learn as much as I can from this company and apply my knowledge in the future. My long-term goal would be to become an administrative manager at a profitable investment bank.
10. Tell me about yourself.
I was born and raised in San Francisco, California, where I attended high school at St Ignatius College Preparatory. I had a demanding academic career that involved working hard in high school and college. Having the opportunity to receive a BA Degree from the world-famous University of California, Berkeley was a privilege.
More Sample Investment Banker Interview Questions
Here are more sample interview questions for investment banker job to boost your preparation for your next interview:
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. What did you learn from a mistake that you made last week?
2. What was the most difficult part about working on an important project?
3. How would your boss describe your strengths and weaknesses?
4. Please tell me about an instance when you didn’t meet up with the deadline of a project.
5. Do you have a good relationship with a colleague or supervisor who may be able to provide insight into your ability to perform in this role?
Sample Case Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. How would you describe “the banking industry”?
2. What is best used as a metric to evaluate an investment?
3. Why are short-term debt instruments more attractive than long-term debt?
4. What are the key characteristics of a good banker?
5. How do banks make money?
Sample Competency Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. What is your long-term career plan?
2. What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
3. What would you like to accomplish in the next three years?
4. How do you prioritize your tasks, e.g., what’s the first thing you’ll do if you’re assigned two major tasks concurrently?
5. Who would be an example of a successful Investment banker, and how does this person behave differently than other Investment bankers?
Sample Problem-solving Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. What do you think is the best way to manage multiple tasks at once?
2. Explain a time when you had to plan and organize many activities in a short period of time?
3. Describe the most challenging employee that you have had to manage. How did you go about solving this problem with them?
4. What were the biggest challenges in your last position?
5. What are the most common challenges that you see in new hires?
Sample Situational Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. What is your favorite bank to invest in?
2. What would you say is the highest point of your career achievement so far?
3. How would you describe the most exciting event that has happened in recent years’ projects using banks?
4. Why do you want to work for our firm, and why should we hire you?
5. What are your top three strengths?
Sample Communication Skills Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. What is your definition of teamwork?
2. Describe an instance in which you worked with a team to accomplish a goal. What role did you play in the team’s effort?
3. Tell me about yourself?
4. If a customer asked you to do something unethical, what would you do?
5. Describe yourself in 3 words.
Sample Interpersonal Skills Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. Describe a time when you helped another person or group.
2. How would your peers describe you?
3. What is your ideal job and why?
4. How do you go about making decisions about money?
5. Describe a situation when it was necessary for you to make an unpopular decision.
Sample Company Culture Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. What is it about working at your firm that you like the most?
2. How do you feel about the contributions of this industry to society?
3. What advice would you provide to someone considering applying for a position at this company?
4. What was your previous experience with work-life balance?
5. If there was something you’d like to see change about our industry, what would that be?
Sample Technical Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. What is the main reason that equity investments in a company should be made?
2. Why is it that we have different interest rates for time deposits versus savings accounts?
3. What are the two main ways that banks make profit from fees?
4. How does the bank make money on CDs and bonds, and why do banks offer them at all?
5. Why are CDs a safer investment than US Treasury Bills, and how is the difference related to their interest rates?
Sample Finance Interview Questions for Investment Banker Position
1. How can you gauge my ability to handle risk?
2. How can you gauge my ability to handle projects?
3. How can you gauge my ability to transact business in a timely and effective manner?
4. How do you approach dealing with partners, clients, customers and vendors?
5. What is your style of management?
Investment Banker Interview Success Tips
You will be up against other candidates for the investment banker position, so you want to stand out in the minds of the interviewers, here are some tips that would prove immensely useful:
- Show up 10 minutes early to the interview
When you show up to a job interview late it shows the interviewer that you don’t have respect for yourself, your boss or the company.
If you are new to the city and transportation is a concern, call ahead of time and ask where the building is located. It may sound like an unnecessary step but this will reinforce your commitment to being on-time.
2. Dress appropriately
When you go on a job interview, you want to look as professional as possible. For example, don’t wear a baseball cap if you really want the investment banking job.
3. Take along resumes and references
Make sure that your resume has everything that it needs and that your references will be available during the interview.
4. Turn off your cell phone
Unless you are expecting an important call, it is best to leave your cell phone at home when going for the investment banker interview. It is okay to take it with you but use it sparingly and for calls only.
This post has provided lots of useful sample investment banker interview questions that you can apply in your preparation for your upcoming interview, to enhance your chances of doing excellently well in it and getting hired.