Sample Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor (with Answers)
When sitting for an interview for an account payable supervisor position, there are many questions the interviewer might ask and you have to be prepared to get them right.
To effectively prepare for an account payable supervisor interview, you need to get familiar with the expected questions by finding out and practicing with commonly asked questions for such interviews.
This post provides samples of commonly asked account payable supervisor job interview questions to help you prepare well for the interview.
Please, read on:
What do Interviewers look for in Account Payable Supervisor?
Interviewers want to know that you can manage the day-to-day interactions with the company and ensure that information is accurate.
They also want to know if you can keep track of where all the data is stored and be able to back it up in case something happens.
10 Most Common Account Payable Supervisor Interview Questions and Answers
Here are some of the most common account payable supervisor interview questions you can practice with, with answers:
- What is a skill that you have that will help the company succeed?
One skill that I have is that I’m able to quickly get up to speed on new projects. I am able to learn about the project and then dive in and start working on it.
2. Describe a time when you had to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
I was working on a project and I had to make sure that I met the deadline. In order to do that, I had to work on it during my lunch break and after work.
3. What is your experience with accounting software?
I have experience with QuickBooks and I am able to use it to process invoices, pay bills, and manage the budget.
4. Describe a difficult decision you had to make in your previous job.
I was asked to manage a team of people and I had to decide who to keep on the team and who to let go. It was difficult because I had to make a decision that would affect their livelihood.
5. Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult customer.
I was working in a call center and I had to deal with a customer who was angry and yelling at me. I was able to stay calm and deal with the problem.
6. What is your experience with data entry and Microsoft Office?
I have experience with using the computer to input data, such as invoices and expenses. I can also use Microsoft Excel to manage budgets and other finances.
7. Describe a time when you failed at something. How did you react?
When I first started working at my company, we were running behind on our first big project and I had to figure out why. We were able to catch up and we finished the project on time.
8. What do you think about team members that work independently?
I like it when my team members are capable of accomplishing tasks without needing constant supervision, but I also realize that sometimes they will need help so it’s important to be able to provide guidance when necessary.
9. How do you handle stress and pressure?
I like to take a few minutes to calm down and then I’m able to get back to work. I strive not to let the stress of work get the better of me.
10. What do you think are the most important skills for an account payable supervisor?
The most important skills are being able to manage the daily interactions with the company, being able to track where all the data is stored, and being able to back it up in case something happens.
More Sample Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
Here are additional samples of account payable supervisor interview questions you can apply in your preparation for your upcoming interview:
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions for an account Payable Supervisor Position
- Tell me about a time when you worked on something for hours and it wasn’t all that easy.
- What are three examples of your leadership skills?
- Give me an example of how you dealt with a co-worker who was not performing at their full capacity.
- How do you typically approach work problems?
- Tell me about a time when there were more tasks than the allotted amount of people to complete them.
Sample Case Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
- How do you deal with a customer that won’t pay?
- What are the top three things you’d change about your current process if given the opportunity?
- Why is it important to have account payable services in place?
- How are external vendors managed?
- What are some examples of late payments for various reasons, and how would an AP Supervisor respond to these delays.
Sample Competency Based Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
1. Can you give me an example of a difficult situation you faced in your previous role and how you coped with it?
2. What qualities do you think are important in a successful account payable supervisor?
3. How would you handle discrepancies in the Accounts Payable records?
4. What do you think is the most important aspect of Accounts Payable?
5. Describe a time when you had to manage a complex project.
Sample Problem-Solving Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
1. What is your experience dealing with difficult accounts?
2. How do you go about finding a solution when there is a disagreement among team members?
3. What is your experience with working with vendors?
4. How do you handle it when you don’t have all the information you need to solve a problem?
5. What is your experience in reconciling accounts?
Sample Situational Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
- How would you handle a situation with an employee who takes too many breaks?
- What is your process for turning the right information into accurate reports?
- When do you think it’s appropriate to go around a supervisor’s orders?
- What are some things that frustrate you about this company and your work environment?
- Is there anything that interests or excites you about this position or role at our company?
Sample Communication Skills Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
- Define the term “accounts payable.”
- How much cost savings could you generate to help an organization?
- Tell me about a time when you had to push back on something new.
- What motivates you at work?
- What are some personal weaknesses that I should know about before hiring you for this position?
Sample Interpersonal Skills Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
- How would you respond to a problematic employee?
- Is willingness to work hard important for this position?
- Have any branch managers ever complained about your lack of communication?
- What is the best way to handle an overbearing customer who never seems satisfied with anything you do?
- Tell me something embarrassing that happened at work.
Sample Company Culture Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
- What is the purpose of an account payable person?
- Describe a time when you had to think outside the box.
- How many hours do you expect to work per day, on average?
- What are your hobbies outside of work?
- When would be a good time for me to call you in a week or month?
Sample Technical Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
- What is the best way to get a job in accounting?
- How can I become an accountant without accounting experience?
- Where does your career satisfaction come from?
- Who might you work with outside of the office or stand next to at a trade show occasion or networking event?
- Why do you think tax season is so stressful for accountants and their clients alike, and what should we do about it?
Sample Leadership Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
- What is your experience with handling cash?
- Can you tell me about a time when you coordinated payments in the company?
- How do you help other people adjust to change at work?
- What are your future plans for this job position/company?
- Tell me about a time when things didn’t seem to be going well. Did you have any setbacks or challenges that made it difficult to handle the situation?
Sample Management Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
- What are the most important employees in your department?
- Why do you want out from your present job?
- When was the last time you took a vacation and why didn’t you take one more recently?
- What is the best leadership style for this company, participatory or authoritarian?
- How would you rank these qualities of an excellent employee: loyalty, reliability, and initiative.
Sample Finance Interview Questions for Account Payable Supervisor Position
- What is your management style and why is it the best one for this position?
- What challenges have you had to overcome in previous positions?
- Describe a time when you were put into a situation where things may not go as planned. How did you respond and what was the outcome like?
- Out of all the tasks that are required to be completed on your job, which one or two would most people say is most important or challenging?
- One of the qualities we look for is someone who can work well with others. Discuss an example working with co-workers on something big project versus something small.
Account Payable Supervisor Interview Success Tips
Do you have an account payable supervisor interview coming up? If so, then here are some tips to help you to effectively prepare for the interview:
- Research the company: It is important to know as much as possible about the company before you go in for your interview.
This includes learning about their history, their products and services, and their current market position.
Knowing this information will help you ask questions that are relevant to the company and demonstrate your interest in the role.
2. Review potential interview questions: There are a number of common interview questions that can be expected as part of the interviewer’s strategy to determine your suitability for the role. Do you know what they are?
3. Practice your responses: The more prepared you are for these questions, the more confident and capable you will appear to your potential employer.
This post has provided lots of sample account payable supervisor interview questions that you can use to prepare for your next interview and increase your chances of being hired.