When preparing to take a job interview for a cleaner position, you must prepare for the questions the interviewer(s) may ask so that you can give the right answers and increase your chances of passing the interview and getting the cleaning job.
This post is to help you get familiar with questions that are likely to be asked in a cleaner job interview so that you can prepare your responses before the interview day and take the interview with confidence.
Please, read on:
What do Interviewers Look For in a Cleaner?
When hiring for a cleaning position, interviewers look for someone who will be consistent on the job, visits on time and only misses when they are sick.
They don’t want someone who is constantly blowing-off appointments. That’s a big turn off.
Another thing that interviewers look for is how professional you look and how you conduct yourself.
They want to see you in a suit with a clean shirt and tie, and no food residue around your mouth, hands or any other public areas of your body.
The cleaning business is relatively new and growing all the time so there are many companies that need to hire more people.
If you’re qualified and show up looking professional in the clothes/attire that is expected, it will make a big impact on the hiring decision in your favor.
10 Most Common Cleaner Interview Questions and Answers
Here are some of the most commonly asked interview questions for a cleaner position that you can prepare for (with suggested answers):
- Could you tell me why you want this job?
The cleaning job I’m interviewing for will allow me to care for my family and it also works well with my schedule.
2. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
I am a hard worker. I am very good at problem solving, inventiveness, and adaptability. My interpersonal skills are strong as well as my attention to detail and work scheduling abilities.
3. What will you bring to the company?
I bring punctuality, dependability, and a clean record among other things.
4. Why are you leaving your current position?
This job opportunity was a wonderful chance, and I fully embraced it.
5. What do you like most about working with people?
I can bring value to people by cleaning their dwellings.
6. Why would we employ you instead of someone else?
“I’m the first choice candidate for this job since I come with the most knowledge, professionalism, skills, and availability.”
7. What is your biggest weakness?
“I don’t let things go until they are done right. I take pride in my work and want it to be done 100% Right.”
8. How do you prepare for a job interview?
“I reviewed my cover letter and studied the company’s guidebook.”
9. Describe yourself in few words.
“I’m punctual, professional, and dependable.”
10. What is one thing about you that would surprise me?
“I’m an extremely organized individual who always pay his bills on time.”
More Sample Cleaner Interview Questions
Here are additional samples of interview questions for a cleaning job that you can apply in preparing for your next interview:
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions for Cleaner Position
1. What did you do to calm down another person in a crisis situation?
2. How do you prefer to work with customers and co-workers?
3. Can you give an example of how you didn’t make someone angry when they were angry at you?
4. What did you learn from the last time that someone became angry at you?
5. Have there been any times when people became angry at you and it made it difficult to get back into a good mood afterward?
Sample Case Interview Questions for Cleaner Position
1. What makes you the best qualified individual for this position?
2. What are some of your weaknesses?
3. What is your experience with handling difficult people?
4. How would you deal with a situation where a customer who refuses to pay their bill?
5. Tell me about a time that you were able to be flexible during work hours
Sample Competency Interview Questions for Cleaner Position
1. Why do you want this job?
2. How long have you been cleaning?
3. What was your previous job?
4. Where were you educated and how long ago did you graduate from college or university?
5. Why do you think this company is a good one to work for and what value would it add for the customer of your services?
Sample Problem-solving Interview Questions for Cleaner Job
- What is your idea of a clean house?
- How do you feel about dusting and polishing furniture, shelves, fixtures etc.?
- Do you have experience with carpet cleaning or can you learn?
- Do you have any personal room that the customer doesn’t need to enter every week, like an attic or basement?
- Are there any good ways to get dirt out of rugs?
Sample Situational Interview Questions for Cleaner Position
1. Why do you enjoy the cleaning profession?
2. What is your idea of a clean home?
3. How would you approach a spill or stain?
4. A guest walks in and sees something covered in dirt, they ask, “What is it and why did you not clean it yet?”
5. Would I be able to walk into my house when you’re done with your work and feel comfortable that they are clean enough for me to live in, given my lifestyle choices?
Sample Communication Skills Interview Questions for Cleaner Position
1. What are your current qualifications?
2. What do you think are the challenges associated with being a cleaner in my type of business?
3. How would you contribute to the team as a team member during this time?
4. Do you have any experience working with people who have disabilities such as physical, medical, or any other challenges that come with needing services in my business location?
5. Are there any barriers I should know about that would make it difficult for me to find someone who has these qualities and can perform these skills effectively?
Sample Interpersonal Skills Interview Questions for Cleaner position
1. What do you look for when picking up a cup from the floor?
2. Is there anything in particular on your mind when you clean?
3. Do you prefer to use gloves on your hands or not use them at all?
4. How many hours per day does it take for you to feel satisfied with the quality of your work?
5. Are there any difficult things about this position that frustrates or challenges yourself and others in general?
Sample Company Culture Interview Questions for Cleaner Position
1. What do you like and not like about this company’s culture?
2. Do you think this company has good or bad leadership?
3. Do you think this company’s culture is unique?
4. What are three things the company owners are trying to accomplish?
5. How would you compare this company to another one in the same industry?
Sample Technical Questions for Cleaner Position
1. What is the primary purpose of cleaning a room?
2. What is the primary purpose of cleaning a bathroom?
3. What is the primary purpose of cleaning a kitchen?
4. What is the main function of a vacuum cleaner?
5. What are some functions performed by a broom?
Interview Success Tips for Cleaners
If you are scheduled for a cleaner interview, here are some tips to help you prepare effectively for it:
- Your resume should contain information about your work experience as a cleaner and should highlight your ability to clean messes and the environment in general.
Make sure you include details of how well you communicate with others, especially if you will be working directly with clients or cleaning other people’s offices.
Keep your resume brief but include information such as previous jobs, skills, education, references, and awards.
Provide your contact details and make sure that it is easy for employers to contact you directly.
2. Keep your resume relevant. Make sure that it represents the job you are applying for.
Include your professional and educational details as well as skills and experience relevant to the position you are applying for.
3. Gather information about the company and the position using the internet, recruiters and networking contacts.
Get an idea of what type of interviewer to expect before you go in for an interview by reading up on other employees’ experiences on various forums.
4. Prepare questions to ask at the interview together with answers to questions you think could be asked by the interviewer(s) like the ones on this page.
It is important to prepare well for your interview to increase your chances of being hired for the cleaner job that you desire.
This post has provided a huge sample of interview questions you can use in preparing for a cleaner interview.