This post presents exhaustive information on the regional operations manager job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the regional operations manager role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Regional Operations Manager Do?
Regional operations managers are responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating the activities of a company’s regional stores/branches.
The regional operations manager job description entails determining the mode of operation that is undertaken by the chain of stores under their supervision, ensuring that each and every one of them follow company rules and guidelines when carrying out their routine activities.
It also involves ensuring that the stores run smoothly and meet stipulated targets that are set for them.
Every organization that has a chain of stores/branches has a separate or an individual manager for each one of them.
The manager that oversees the work of other managers (those managing the chain of stores in a particular geographic setting) is usually referred to as the Regional Operations Manager (ROM).
The expanse of branches that a regional operations manager covers is usually dependent on the type of organizational system which the company operates.
A ROM might operate in both a state (local) setting or across different states.
When it comes to the recruitment of new staff, the regional operations manager is usually actively involved (especially in the interview process).
His/her role also involves coordinating and checking on the individual store managers and making sure that their respective stores are in proper working conditions at all times.
He/she also carries out the responsibility of creating and maintaining budgets and report back to senior managers within the company.
The manager usually does a whole lot of travelling so as to be effective in carrying out his/her duties.
His or her primary focus is usually on issues that affect the entire region under his/her supervision; other minor cases/issues that affect stores/branches individually are handled by the local managers and are reported to him only when the issue at hand has a tendency of affecting the region as a whole.
Whichever issue the ROM is confronted with, he/she has to put the overall interest of the company before anything else, and not the one of a particular branch.
The regional operations manager work description also entails performing reviews/management of each store, alignment of the company’s general objective with their revenue/productivity goals, and working hand-in-hand with the human resource department to ensure adherence to the company’s rules/guidelines.
It also involves evaluating current and potential procedures and implementing changes where and when necessary.
Regional Operations Manager Job Description Example/Template
Regional operations managers perform various functions to be able to effectively oversee the activities of branches under their responsibilities.
The job description example shown below highlights common duties, tasks, and responsibilities of individuals who work as regional operations managers in most companies:
- Coordinate, monitor, and manage various stores/branches within a particular geographic region
- Improve regional processes, policies, and practices so as to achieve company’s goals and ensure regional stores adhere to company-wide laid down rules and guidelines
- Help improve the efficiency of support services like communication channels and IT; and also ensure free flowing communication amongst the stores
- Work hand-in-hand with top management (serving as a link between them and the individual stores) in order to develop and implement new plans/ideas that will enhance the operations of the company at large
- Assist in the recruitment of staff, establish work schedules for staff being put in place, and evaluate staff performance at the end of a given period
- Help plan and support marketing and sales activities
- Check on individual branches to make sure they are fully stocked and operational
- Discipline local managers who go against company work ethics and also retrench workers who tend to embark on procedures that are detrimental to company activities
- Oversee performance-based bonuses/salary increments that are given to workers that merit them
- Give feedback on how the entire region functions to senior managers on a regular basis so as to ensure that company general activities flow on the same wave length.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for Regional Operations Manager Job
If you are seeking the job of a regional operations manager and want to know what the common requirements are for accessing the role with most employers, here are what to note:
- Good decision making ability/skill. That is to say that the manager must possess the ability to make good decisions in little or no time; this is basically because he/she is the link between top management and the local individual managers
- Good analytical skills are required for tackling problems that may come up on a daily basis
- Good communication skills are also of great importance for this role, in a bid to pass messages/information across all frontiers to ensure quality delivery in the company
- Ability to work as part of a team is very important because a good ROM will work with a lot of people to be able to achieve required results; that is to say that he/she cannot basically do it alone
- Excellent leadership skill is required of every ROM. He/she has to be able to motivate employees at all times
- Time management skill is also very necessary for the ROM job in order to be able to beat deadlines and display efficiency
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Management or in any closely related field
- 5-10 years industry relevant experience
- An MBA will also be of great advantage.
If you are an employer hiring for the position of regional operations manager and need a job description for use in the recruitment process, the sample copy provided in this post will serve your purpose well.
The detailed ROM duties and responsibilities will enable you to make a comprehensive description for the position that can attract the best candidates to your offer.
Individuals interested in the career of the regional operations manager will also find this article beneficial in learning about what the role entails so they can be well guided about the career.