Real Estate Appraiser Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post presents exhaustive information on the job description of a real estate appraiser, to help you understand the work they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that typically make up the real estate appraiser work description in most organizations.
It also presents the major requirements you may be asked to fulfill if you are seeking the real estate appraiser role by recruiters/employers.
Please, continue reading to learn more about the real estate appraiser career:
What Does a Real Estate Appraiser Do?
A real estate appraiser is responsible for providing a value estimate on land, buildings, and/or real estate properties usually before they are sold, mortgaged, insured, developed, or taxed.
He/she often work in a locality that he/she is familiar with to efficiently and accurately make decisions on environmental factors and other concerns that may affect the value of a property.
The real estate appraiser job description entails assessing and/or evaluating properties to establish their market value, with the utilization of a variety of resources and data to make his/her assessment.
Some of the tasks that are carried out by a real estate appraiser include examining the key characteristics of a property, conducting research on the property market in the local area, keeping abreast of the best practices and regulations, and gathering and producing reports.
One of the core tasks that are carried out by real estate appraisers is to make visits to sites to inspect properties, interview their clients, and review all the necessary variables that may impact the worth or value of a property, usually the location, future developments in the areas, and several other factors.
A real estate appraiser is also required to take photographs of the interiors and exteriors of the property, while also paying particular attention to any crucial characteristics that may affect the value of the property as he/she examines and assesses the property.
He/she is also responsible for conducting research on the local property market by analyzing comparable nearby properties to help determine an estimate of the value of the client’s property.
A real estate appraiser also has to verify the legal description of a real estate property in public records and ensure that he/she maintains value data from neighboring properties to determine how a new property may be compared to others in the market.
Additionally, a real estate appraiser may also be required to prepare written reports that vividly explain assessment results and the decisions made, as well as outlining the methods that were used in the process of appraising the property.
If you are seeking the real estate appraiser role, some of the required skills and qualities by recruiters/employers include strong analytical skills, excellent time management skills, and good customer service skills; well-developed verbal and written communication skills, excellent math abilities, and organization.
In terms of academic qualifications, the job role/position of a real estate appraiser demands that the ideal candidate possesses a Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, or in a related field.
Real estate appraiser Salary: The average salary of a real estate appraiser, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is $57,010 annually.
Real Estate Appraiser Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Real estate appraisers perform the responsibilities:
- Verifying the legal description of a real estate property in public records
- Inspecting both new and existing properties, while also paying particular attention to the characteristics
- Taking photographs of the interiors and exteriors of real estate properties
- Researching properties and visiting them to establish their market values
- Determining the ratings of real estate properties by researching and combining insights from various internal and external sources
- Monitoring, reviewing, analyzing, and documenting procedures
- Keeping up-to-date with all current regulations, standards, and best practices
- Gathering and preparing reports that vividly explain assessment results, as well as the outline methods used.
Real Estate Appraiser Job Description for Resume
If you are making a resume or CV for a new position and have worked previous in the role of a real estate appraiser or are currently working in that position, you need to add the professional experience section to it.
Including the professional or work experience section to your resume or CV will certainly boost it, as it shows to the recruiter/employer that you have been effective performing the real estate appraiser duties and responsibilities.
This information in your resume/CV can significantly increase your chances of having the recruiter/employer give you an interview, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires candidates to possess some work experience as a real estate appraiser to succeed on the job.
You can quickly create a detailed and impressive professional experience section for your resume/CV by applying the real estate appraiser job description example provided above.
Real Estate Appraiser Requirements – Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills for Career Success
If you are seeking the real estate appraiser position, the following are important requirements most employers/recruiters may want you to meet to be hired:
- Computer proficiency and advanced knowledge of MS Office and ARGUS, LoopNet, and several other relevant software
- In-depth familiarity with all the industry’s current regulations, rules, and standards
- Strong analytical skills, since a real estate appraiser must utilize different sources of data when assessing the value of a property
- Strong customer service skills, as he/she must build and maintain successful relationships with clients to expand future business opportunities
- Strong math abilities, since a real estate appraiser is required to deal with costs and the calculation of square footage
- Several years of professional and/or proven work experience in a relevant field/position
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, or a in a similar field.
This post is valuable to individuals interested in the real estate appraiser career.
They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities that make up the real estate appraiser role.
This will enable them to make correct decisions about pursuing the real estate appraiser career or not.
This post also provides useful information to recruiters/employers who need to hire the best people for the vacant real estate appraiser position in their companies.
They can create an effective job description for the real estate appraiser position they want to fill and use in the recruitment process by applying the sample job description shown above.